Quantcast
LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Default LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing

In this hyper-competitive job market, would like any edge possible.

Can anyone recommend a service to boost LinkedIn profile, and make resume/CV get noticed amoungst the sea of applicants?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I don't know what it's like in your industry, but I wouldn't rely so much on boosting my profile as I would using it in a more active sense like identifying companies you want to work for and finding the people who have similar jobs to the one you want. That's basically how I've managed to find my last couple jobs.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Make sure it’s complete, accurate, and targeted towards the roles you want and I wouldn’t put any more effort into LinkedIn than that.

Also no shitty profile photos.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Only slutty photos. Honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Having worked with professional resume writers multiple times, I do have a comment.

Those services can help, but you still need to do a ton of work yourself or they can't do much. Start with your own work first before you hire anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Only slutty photos. Honestly.
    These don’t hurt

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    In this hyper-competitive job market, would like any edge possible.

Can anyone recommend a service to boost LinkedIn profile, and make resume/CV get noticed amoungst the sea of applicants?
    Bro, did you get anywhere with this? I've looked at a lot of resumes from both sides of the desk and I'd give you some suggestions for free. Or follow Carol Bird on Linkedin, she runs a company that does this kind of work, and they do freebies from time to time.

Biggest suggestion is to think about every job or bullet point and try to make sure you are demonstrating the specific action you personally took, not describing the duty that anyone in that role would have been asked to complete. If you can quantify the results in dollars, that's even better.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I wouldn't bother. Every company is looking for something slightly different, and the people willing to look over your resume probably took a weekend course or something rather than the 20yr HR manager you would want giving you advice. The content is always more important than formatting, etc. assuming it's well done. Try make sure every point on your resume has an action and an outcome, for example "I did X which saved the company X dollars" (not that simple but you get the point). Quantify everything you can to increase credibility. The last thing you want to do is fill it with stuff like "good team player". Most resumes I've seen just regurgitate a job description and that does nothing to show them your value.

Just use a good template, make sure everything looks perfect, is written specifically for the job you're applying for, accurate, etc. and I doubt you would be any further behind the people who paid to have someone look at their resume. The other thing that makes me nervous about those services is if they don't tell you to change anything, they can't demonstrate value, so they might get you to change something that didn't need to be changed in the first place, possibly to your detriment.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-08-2020 at 03:18 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's a good point. If you pay two "experts" you will get two answers, and they will always want to make big changes to justify the fee. I always suggest making sure you are happy with your own resume first before you consider paying someone.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

This might be an old tactic (5-10 years) - but I had tremendous success with a single page resume very specifically targeted to the individual jobs.

A General resume is a bad idea.

Use the cover letter as supplement to the resume with specific projects, jobs and skills.

The random scanning software reads both for buzz phrases.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The single-page idea works in some industries/roles, but it's not suitable for everything. I mean, make sure the first page is excellent, but don't be shy about having a second, or third page. Especially if you are submitting to ATS Software. For that shit, longer is better if you can cram in some buzzwords on the back pages.

Nothing wrong with a multi-page resume as long as quality is consistent throughout and the information is actually relevant. Mine is 2 full pages and I know some executives with resumes as long as 4 pages. If you are on your third page scraping the bottom of the barrel or talking about how you're a "fast learner" and "proficient in MS Office", or your McDonalds job in 2001, then get rid of it haha.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If your first page sucks, nobody will read page 2,3,4 or whatever. I had a few good chats with a recruiter once. Her rule of thumb was for "first pass" reading, she would spend 30 seconds per resume, and sort about 20% of them into a pile that was worth reading in more depth. She could do 100 resumes an hour no problem this way. I'm a lot slower. I'm about 2-3 minutes per resume, and I do usually flip to the second page, but then again, I never have to go through more than 20, and I only do that a few times per year. .

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Resume Pass 1 - if you bring up your beer league trophy the resume goes in the trash.

But then again I have never hired a salesman so what do I know

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Resume Pass 1 - if you bring up your beer league trophy the resume goes in the trash.

But then again I have never hired a salesman so what do I know
    You are WAAAAY off bro.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If your first page sucks, nobody will read page 2,3,4 or whatever. I had a few good chats with a recruiter once. Her rule of thumb was for "first pass" reading, she would spend 30 seconds per resume, and sort about 20% of them into a pile that was worth reading in more depth. She could do 100 resumes an hour no problem this way. I'm a lot slower. I'm about 2-3 minutes per resume, and I do usually flip to the second page, but then again, I never have to go through more than 20, and I only do that a few times per year. .
    I'm no hiring goddess, either. But I've got a couple Golden Rules to send you straight to the trash can.
    1.) It shall be 4 pages max with a strong preference for 2 pages. Violate this? Trash.
    2.) "M.Eng, PMP" is straight into the trash with an ominous LoL that others around me can hear and will ask about.

The first one is most likely pertinent to you, while the second prolly isn't.
    If the candidate is old and worked at Union Carbide Bhopal in December of 1984 and is too fucking dumb to shave a couple decades of experience off of the resume, I know everything I need to know.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    2.) "M.Eng, PMP" is straight into the trash with an ominous LoL that others around me can hear and will ask about.
    Preach
    If the candidate is old and worked at Union Carbide Bhopal in December of 1984 and is too fucking dumb to shave a couple decades of experience off of the resume, I know everything I need to know.
    Wow...

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I really respect good project managers and people who go beyond their bachelors, but the M.Eng PMP does seem to be some kind of weird nexus that cancels out those two potential positives and leaves something quite unpalatable.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I really respect good project managers and people who go beyond their bachelors, but the M.Eng PMP does seem to be some kind of weird nexus that cancels out those two potential positives and leaves something quite unpalatable.
    But only 111% of the time!
    It's the most astonishingly accurate metric of concentrated, consolidated shit that's there is. I'll bet everything on it, every time!

- - - Updated - - -

Preach

Wow...
    I can literally show you a resume with that.
    No joke.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@cidley69 my comments are in your inbox.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast