Quantcast
Stay Away from Jiffy Lube - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stay Away from Jiffy Lube

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Default Stay Away from Jiffy Lube

Coles Notes: Their techs couldn't put my engine splash shield on properly after an oil change. They decided to keep 5 screws out, left the shield holding on tabs that are meant to hold up the shield while reinstalling it. It fell off and got mangled while driving home on Stoney trail 5 days after I was there. I went back, they agreed to change the part. Today I got it put back on, they didn't order any hardware (clips and screws) to put it back the way it was. After explaining it to the owner who has never seen the car, he claims the screws are rusted and broken, and that zip ties and a random screw used to hold it up the replacement shield are an acceptable fix.

---
    Longwinded version:

So, after a thread up here about Jiffy Lube offering great service to a couple beyonders...and offering a 10% beyond discount, I decided to check it out since it was close to home and a handy spot to get things done.

I drive a 2011 Audi TTs Roadster, it's basically a glorified Golf GTI/Golf R with a similar 2.0T engine. So there's nothing fancy going on under the hood.

First 2-3 times I went there to get the oil changed, the guy working there was excellent, he knew the car, knew that I wouldn't be interested/shouldn't be doing any kind of engine cleaning extras on a turbocharged car. We chatted about the tune and some other random car talk. It was a really good experience.

The last time I went there was June 19, 2018. This time, the guys were all different, the visit took SIGNIFICANTLY longer. They advertise a 15 minute oil change, generally it would take ~20 minutes in the past, this time I was there for ~40 mins. I sat patiently and figured it was just a busy day there or something. There was a heavy push for extras, window wipers, engine treatment, etc. I declined everything and just went for the routine change, mentioned the beyond discount, and after they finally finished, went on my way.

During the next week, there was some pretty crappy weather with rain and heavy winds. My car was making a little more wind noise than normal, but i knocked it up to the weather outside.

Fast forward to June 24, 2018 (5 days later). Great sunny day outside, I have the top open, driving down Stoney on my way home. All of a sudden I hear a loud grinding noise. Wondering wtf is going on. I pull over and start looking around the car to see if I hit something.

Looking under the car, the front engine splash shield was loose, the entire front end of it was dragging on the road, it was beat up to shit. There are tabs that hold it in while you put all the screws in. I pushed the tabs back into place just to get home, but it wouldn't hold, the panel had cracked after wearing down against the road, every few minutes I'd have to pull over and try to lodge it back up.

I eventually made it to Walmart, picked up some jack stands, went back home, jacked up the car...and found the issue...

Name:  IMG_20180624_203422.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20180624_203456.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  75.1 KB

all FIVE screws that are supposed to hold the front of the shield in were missing, the rest were in place. I personally don't know how some guy who takes these panels off for a living could manage to miss out on SO many mounting points when putting the car back together, I'm assuming the excessive amount of time it took for them to get me out of there was spent trying to locate the screws that were never put back into the car. The screws are held in with metal clips that go over other plastic shield parts that attach to the wheel wells, one was sheared right off one of the neighbouring panels, while the others held on and kept the shield from falling off entirely. After getting it up in the air, I got under the car and removed the whole thing and took some photos of it.

Name:  IMG_20180624_205538.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  47.2 KB

After that, it was Sunday evening, I sent a pm to the owner on Beyond. Explained the whole situation and asked him what he could do now. I waited til the next day (Monday) and then started calling Jiffy Lube, asking to talk to a owner or manager of the shop. They told me to call their other shop, which in turn told me to call the Creekside one again. I was being sent in circles. After some pushing, I finally got a call and phone number for the main guy named Kent (TopSecret on beyond).

Kent called me on his personal cell phone, I explained the situation, he said to drop off the broken skid plate and he'd look into it. He also said he "never is on beyond"...which is hard to believe considering he's replied to the other thread about Jiffy Lube and has a couple job posts up as well. So, the next day, I dropped it off with one of his workers there, the worker asked me if I had the hardware and mounts that go along with the assembly, I gave him the screws I had, and pointed out the clip that had torn off from another piece of the wheel well shield. I didn't know if it would be repaired or left alone. He had asked me if he would have to get more hardware (screws), I told him that the 5 missing screws are probably sitting somewhere in their service bay. He never looked under the car, just told me they would take care of it and give me a call once it's done. I left and kept driving the car until today...

July 7th, 2018, I dropped by an hour before Jiffy Lube closes, I waited about 20 mins to get into the service bay, and again, I was there for a good 40 minutes. During this time the same service guy said there were screws missing. I told him that I gave what I had from when I took it off, and there was one screw and clip remaining in the broken part that was left there earlier. He looked at the old shield and then disappeared for another 10 minutes. Eventually he came back and said I was good to go. I asked him specifically "how many screws are missing now". He said "only one". The only screw I figured would be missing was where the clip had torn off, so there was no physical way to attach it again without replacing all of the broken parts under the car.

Ultimately I was ok with this at that point, figured 1 screw shouldn't be a big deal....but the whole thing took WAY longer than I thought it would, granted my car has more screws than average, I know that I can pull off that shield and put it back on in minutes, and I am by no means the mechanic type. So, I jacked up the car and took a look underneath just to double check that everything was secure.

Name:  IMG_20180705_211932.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  53.6 KB

First sign of a problem. A zip tie is holding up one of the holes. Out of 5 front mounting points, 2 are missing, this is in addition to the other screw that has no way of threading in anymore. One screw was substituted with a random silver screw.

Name:  IMG_20180705_211840.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  71.1 KB

I text back Kent saying that I guess the guys didn't have any hardware ordered by the looks of it, I sent photos of the job that was done. He shot back saying that the bolt where the zip tie is holding looks like a rusted bolt. My car is a 2011 and yes there is a little surface corrosion on the screws, FAR from the point of corroding apart....but to add a little insult to that statement, the hole he was referring to where the zip tie was placed never had any screw originally, his techs just used the empty hole spot to throw a zip tie into.

We shot back and forth until he basically said he won't fix broken parts on a rusted car with broken parts... and stopped replying. I ended by saying we'll leave this up for public opinion...therefore I'm posting this here and the other standard places where people leave reviews.

<might post screenshots of the conversation here>

I'm glad I have a new splash shield ultimately, but a few extra dollars just to make sure you have the missing hardware would be great, then lying directly to me, and then placing blame on "rusted screws" was a ridiculous way to end things off, especially when it was clear that the whole problem started from their initial fuckup.

Another tidbit. I know for a fact that everything was there after getting a dogbone insert installed into the car ~4 months earlier, I had looked under the car after that to see how it looked after it was done at Concept-1. All screws were there at the time.

I'm pretty ticked off at this and hope that no beyonder (or anyone else) has to go through the same. Unfortunate that this quick lube shop went to shit so quickly for me. Guess I'll hit up the dealership for some screws and take care of it myself now...

So just a heads up, after my experience, I wouldn't ever go to this Jiffy Lube again. Kent runs two locations in the NW, I believe the other one is in Royal Oak. Even with the 10% discount, after filter, oil, taxes, etc this ends up being a $120 oil change with my car. So it's not like you're saving much by going there anyways.
    Last edited by soupey; 07-06-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammatical changes

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

I've never had a bad experience at the Evanston/Creekside location, but I stopped going there a few years ago after learning how to do it myself.

My Ride
    06 S2000

When I took my 4Runner there, they didn't tighten the metal skidplate bolts, and I didn't notice until I was going through a drivethru, and could hear the rattling bouncing off the wall.

Had to crawl under it and tighten all the bolts up before they fell out.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

LOL zipties to replace missing hardware they screwed up... yeah, that seems like something a Jiffy Lube would do. Pretty pathetic.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Like OP said, a splash shield isn't the end of the world, but it was handled incredibly poorly by the shop and the owner.

Hopefully @topsecret replies and sets the record straight here.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue boy

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Just because a business is owned by a Beyond member doesn't mean it's good lol... same thing in real life, just because it's a friend or family member or friends friend, doesn't mean it's good, in fact, it's usually opposite.

My Ride
    '16 GMC HD '94 MKIV SUPRA

I'm sorry this got so out of hand, I ordered the new splash shield as well as new screws from Audi and replaced it at no charge as we were the last ones to work on the car and I took responsibility for that, as for the rusted/broken bolt I let him know that if he provided me with the hardware we would install it free of charge. I also just want to add that this convo was had past regular business hours at 10 pm last night and I didn't simply stop responding I was busy and couldn't keep texting as I was at a function. If Yogesh would like I can order the remaining hardware and install the rest of them.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Quote Originally Posted by topsecret View Post
    I'm sorry this got so out of hand, I ordered the new splash shield as well as new screws from Audi and replaced it at no charge as we were the last ones to work on the car and I took responsibility for that, as for the rusted/broken bolt I let him know that if he provided me with the hardware we would install it free of charge. I also just want to add that this convo was had past regular business hours at 10 pm last night and I didn't simply stop responding I was busy and couldn't keep texting as I was at a function. If Yogesh would like I can order the remaining hardware and install the rest of them.
    You just contradicted yourself. If you did order the shield AND screws from Audi directly, why were they not installed? Why is some random silver screw in there? Why would you add that "if i provided hardware" that you just said you already ordered? The clips are ALL present either on the current panels in the car and the single one left on the broken skid plate left at your shop.

Your last text message, word for word, is:
    "In the pics you sent there is one zip tied up next to where the bolt is broken we put in new hardware where needed im not repairing broken rusted parts on your car".

As far as your technician and your texts implied, there was no hardware ordered and you had refused to fix this as, according to you, you would be repairing "rusted parts" on my car.

Yes this conversation was late yesterday, but it doesn't really rectify the insinuation that my car was rusted (considering you have never personally seen the car), the zip tie being an acceptable fix, and the simple fact that your employee told me a flat lie right in front of me in person regarding how many screws were missing.

I already went ahead and ordered some replacement screws this morning after you pushed back on making this right, and like I said earlier - I'm capable of taking off the shield and replacing it now on my own, apparently more efficiently than your trained technicians are. I'm not really sure if there's a way to fix this at this point after you rejected the option of fixing it after I brought it up directly with you.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Best you guys work things out privately. Quick Lube can be hit and miss like others have said. I haven't had problems with Creekside Jiffy. It's not easy to run a business these days.

Even if there was one rusted bolt, you'd think the shop could swing the $5 or whatever to replace it given that they massively inconvenienced the customer...

The bigger problem seems to be the education given to their 'techs'.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    Best you guys work things out privately. Quick Lube can be hit and miss like others have said. I haven't had problems with Creekside Jiffy. It's not easy to run a business these days.
    They tried that and the only reason it got to here is because it didnt work. If soupey right off the bat came on here and never gave them the chance to correct it would be a different story. I also absolutely agree its not easy running a business anymore with social media and the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Even if there was one rusted bolt, you'd think the shop could swing the $5 or whatever to replace it given that they massively inconvenienced the customer...

The bigger problem seems to be the education given to their 'techs'.
    I hate to agree with mitsu but hes right
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That sucks. That's how I broke my shield doing my own work and forgetting to put the bolts back in but I would expect a shop to know better.

To replace the shield and missing bolts is the least they can do but to draw the line at not sourcing an additional hardware bolt because it was already rusted seems a bit silly. That said, rusted splash shield bolts are fine and aren't held by massive amounts of torque so it'd be perfectly fine to use one if it already exists.

I'm more concerned about when someone thinks ziptie and a random silver bolt is a legit fix.

Like Mark said, they should have gone beyond (no pun intended) to make it right since it's a massive inconvenience for you but with their response, seems like they think it's the other way around.

My Ride
    soopra

I have been a customer to both locations, and I refer family and friends as well. The owner could have simply told you to pound sand, instead, it sounds like he took the higher road and took responsibility of the incident and not only contacted you after hours on a personal number, but paid for a new part and ate the cost of the employees labour on re install. Absolutely the install looks like it should have been handled better, but your attempting to slander a small business owner and reputation even after he helped out above and beyond most places would. I’m confident the employee will be dealt with so this does not happen again, it’s unfortunate you were on the receiving end of this incident.

I’m unsure if this thread was to bring up a specific incident, or to go on a rant to make you feel important. You added that this lube shop offered you extras.. yes that’s their job, and that is how they stay in business by selling products and labour. It’s terrible that they didn’t remember you and your car and that you don’t want any extras, it must have been tough saying no thank you.

You should have handled this and came to a resolution in private as he already said he would provide the hardware and labour free of charge again, one lazy employee that I’m sure will be dealt with should not out weigh the entire business and owners efforts.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by noma1 View Post
    I have been a customer to both locations, and I refer family and friends as well. The owner could have simply told you to pound sand, instead, it sounds like he took the higher road and took responsibility of the incident and not only contacted you after hours on a personal number, but paid for a new part and ate the cost of the employees labour on re install. Absolutely the install looks like it should have been handled better, but your attempting to slander a small business owner and reputation even after he helped out above and beyond most places would. I’m confident the employee will be dealt with so this does not happen again, it’s unfortunate you were on the receiving end of this incident.

I’m unsure if this thread was to bring up a specific incident, or to go on a rant to make you feel important. You added that this lube shop offered you extras.. yes that’s their job, and that is how they stay in business by selling products and labour. It’s terrible that they didn’t remember you and your car and that you don’t want any extras, it must have been tough saying no thank you.

You should have handled this and came to a resolution in private as he already said he would provide the hardware and labour free of charge again, one lazy employee that I’m sure will be dealt with should not out weigh the entire business and owners efforts.
    I agree with you.
    I have taken my winter beater and my wife's previous car over there for oil change. I always had good experienced at this location. I knew a beyonder owned this location but never asked for the beyond special.
    As for the employee , I am sure we all makes mistakes in our job. If any one says that they have never made a mistake in their professional life they are probably lying or just sitting their collecting a pay cheque.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by noma1 View Post
    The owner could have simply told you to pound sand
    It's a sad state of customer service when somebody figures "Well, at least he didn't tell you to go fuck yourself" is some kind of big favour by the business that lost parts and broke your shit.

ate the cost of the employees labour on re install
    You mean the labour he already paid for the first time when they didn't actually reinstall it correctly? Man, they just can't stop doing big favours.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    It's a sad state of customer service when somebody figures "Well, at least he didn't tell you to go fuck yourself" is some kind of big favour by the business that lost parts and broke your shit.

You mean the labor he already paid for the first time when they didn't actually reinstall it correctly? Man, they just can't stop doing big favours.
    Fair enough but don't you think OP should have given the owner a little bit more time before saying that he stopped communicating with him? Given that it was pretty late in the night he had the owners personal number. It is also lloks like this could have been handled in a timely manner by the business. Rather than giving the run around.

IMO this should been handled privately.
    Last edited by ganesh; 07-06-2018 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Fair enough but don't you think OP should have given the owner a little bit more time before saying that he stopped communicating with him? Given that it was pretty late in the night he had the owners personal number. It is also lloks like this could have been handled in a timely manner by the business. Rather than giving the run around.

IMO this should been handled privately.
    I'm sure if Jiffy Lube had done the fix the first time with the proper hardware, this would have never seen the light of day. If you lose and break someone's parts and then nickle and dime them on the fasteners you lost, they're not going to go away happy and in the modern era they're going to complain online - especially if you're using membership of said online service to promote your business. That's pretty basic customer service. OP wasn't asking him to upgrade his car for free, he just wanted it returned to the same condition it was before Jiffy Lube put their wrenches on it.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This is a prime example when people don't go to the pub.

Mistakes were made.. It was handled poorly.
    Owner has appologised and is attempting to correct it. The intention is there at least.

I think a lot of comunication gets missed on the phone and via posts..People get angry..emotions run high.. things escalate..

I think it best if OP and the owner sit down go for a beer.. Beer has amazing properties that allows people to settle differences..

Hell.. I invite both you guys to come to the England vs Sweden game tomorrow morning at the ship. I'l buy you both a beer (a English beer... )

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This is a prime example when people don't go to the pub.

Mistakes were made.. It was handled poorly.
    Owner has appologised and is attempting to correct it. The intention is there at least.

I think a lot of comunication gets missed on the phone and via posts..People get angry..emotions run high.. things escalate..

I think it best if OP and the owner sit down go for a beer.. Beer has amazing properties that allows people to settle differences..

Hell.. I invite both you guys to come to the England vs Sweden game tomorrow morning at the ship. I'l buy you both a beer (a English beer... )

solid advice
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast