Quantcast
Would you eat at a buffet Post Covid? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Would you eat at a buffet Post Covid?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 34.34%
  • No

36 36.36%
  • Maybe

21 21.21%
  • Only if it's free

8 8.08%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you eat at a buffet Post Covid?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I wouldnt and I also not want to participate in Potluck meals that I was already wary of aswell.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, it sucks when it hits home, but dude, your words were "Friend of a friend", that's hardly hitting home. I am not trying to minimize it as it is affecting your circle of friends, and I am truly sorry for the loss. It sucks no matter the cause. I also realize that this could just as easily hit home, and I know that is frightening.

Having said that, IF this is as deadly as everyone says, and IF this is contagious as everyone says, it is not a matter of IF you and those you love will contract this virus, but a matter of WHEN. And if this mortality rate of 0.3% is accurate, well, I personally don't want to live in fear. To me that isn't living. I am not saying that I am not taking percautions, but, I am not willing to become a total hermit (granted that isn't a real big change for me). Not really sure where I am going with all this, but, like I said, I am fine with it. Serenity prayer and all that.

I don't wanna be callous, but, I am just not willing to be held hostage by it. And let's be real here, we are buds in RL. You have seen me. Do you really think I would pass up a buffet?
    Nearly killed two people in my family. Killed a friend of a friend.
    Perhaps you missed the part where it actually affected his family?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Perhaps you missed the part where it actually affected his family?
    ok, i missed that part. Apologies Cam
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    4x4

I'm hitting up the local Chinese buffet as soon as it re-opens.

But y'all can govern yourself accordingly

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

For me Chinese is a takeout/delivery comfort food thing, has been for years, so I order like 12 things and make my own little buffet in the kitchen and eat that for a week (or at least I wish it would last a week).

I haven’t been out for Chinese regularly since I was maybe 10. My grandmother loved the regency palace buffet. I don’t have any issues with Chinese buffets, it’s just not that high up my list if I’m going to put pants on and eat out.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-20-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I’m avoiding all Chinese food until a vaccine is discovered.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I only ate at a buffet once a year as it was (Thanksgiving at the Winter Club) so I'm good not to eat one.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    I’m avoiding all Chinese food until a vaccine is discovered.
    Your trolling game is weak.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I'd probably wait it out a little bit but it's hard when some places have salad bar elements as part of the experience. COVID just made risks more salient.

That said, I'm not in a rush to go back to the Grey Eagle buffet. There is plenty of good food around town.

My Ride
    NC1

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry to hear bro @A790

I'm not really a buffet guy either but I understand its appeal. I've had a lot of customers call in to ask about it so was curious on the feel out there.

For starters I'm not even doing dine in until this is all over as it's impossible for me to look after customers. I was able to do good volume before because the buffet is a self serve thing. It has been a staple of my biz forever and brings in about 1/3 of my sales. My take out has always been solid, it has actually done better during this time with the initiatives, support local, cerb money etc. So my sales for May are on track to be only down 10% which is incredible. March and April were down 35-40% which did have me a bit worried.

I am taking this day by day, week by week, month by month, who knows. During this time have been able to try a few diff things and tbh I'm leaning to ridding the buffet table altogether. I could open it for small gatherings when the appropriate time comes or take some of your suggestions, or even reduce the hours/days I have it. Time will tell. Again, thanks for your comments.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I'd probably wait it out a little bit but it's hard when some places have salad bar elements as part of the experience. COVID just made risks more salient.
    Immediately after Covid would be the safest time because everyone's still on high alert. Then it goes downhill from there.

I'm not a buffet guy, but this whole experience hasn't changed my opinion. It all boils down to where.

My Ride

@max_boost , that's a lot of percentage to make up but it's awesome you're being proactive after being forced to be reactive.

Buffets are so bizarre. My friend's place his parents ran it FOREVER, were a really long time in already when I met them in the 90's. Since the classic location burned a couple decades ago they still have regulars that have been there to every location they've been in. It's amazing the loyalty, to me it's almost unlike anything else I've seen in restaurants.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry to hear bro @A790

I'm not really a buffet guy either but I understand its appeal. I've had a lot of customers call in to ask about it so was curious on the feel out there.

For starters I'm not even doing dine in until this is all over as it's impossible for me to look after customers. I was able to do good volume before because the buffet is a self serve thing. It has been a staple of my biz forever and brings in about 1/3 of my sales. My take out has always been solid, it has actually done better during this time with the initiatives, support local, cerb money etc. So my sales for May are on track to be only down 10% which is incredible. March and April were down 35-40% which did have me a bit worried.

I am taking this day by day, week by week, month by month, who knows. During this time have been able to try a few diff things and tbh I'm leaning to ridding the buffet table altogether. I could open it for small gatherings when the appropriate time comes or take some of your suggestions, or even reduce the hours/days I have it. Time will tell. Again, thanks for your comments.
    Not sure about spacing but what about it doing it similar to sushi restaurants where you print off paper cards that have tick boxes for each item. They just fill it out and the server goes and prepares that food onto plates and brings it back. You could do it family styles where each person has their own plate and then you just bring their order on one big platter. Then they serve themselves from the platter. No additional risk if they share utensils since they're all together anyways.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    @max_boost , that's a lot of percentage to make up but it's awesome you're being proactive after being forced to be reactive.

Buffets are so bizarre. My friend's place his parents ran it FOREVER, were a really long time in already when I met them in the 90's. Since the classic location burned a couple decades ago they still have regulars that have been there to every location they've been in. It's amazing the loyalty, to me it's almost unlike anything else I've seen in restaurants.
    Thanks bro. Yea the loyalty and support has been incredible. I am grateful for everything. I feel a bit bad because I am escaping this relatively unscathed while so many peers are struggling. I am not taking this for granted.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I don't wanna be callous, but, I am just not willing to be held hostage by it. And let's be real here, we are buds in RL. You have seen me. Do you really think I would pass up a buffet?
    I get the sentiment. I also caught swine flu back in the day and it fucking sucked. Changed my POV on both flu vaccines and on hygiene safety in general.

There's also so much conflicting data right now - with mortalities as high as 7% or as low as 0.07% - that erring on the side of caution seems prudent to me. When things stabilize and become more understood, I'll revisit.

Helps that I work from home and am a closet introvert anyways.

ok, i missed that part. Apologies Cam
    All good dude. I know you aren't actually an ass or trying to be a dick. It's like that time you asked me about Trudeau/Trump and were floored when I told you I'd take Trudeau every day of the week.

Still would.

When this shit blows over, let's grab a beer and have Trudeau vs. Trump 2.0

That said, I'm not in a rush to go back to the Grey Eagle buffet. There is plenty of good food around town.
    Good point. Other things to think abut: Bolero/Gaucho, sushi bars/sushi moats, etc.

Thanks bro. Yea the loyalty and support has been incredible. I am grateful for everything. I feel a bit bad because I am escaping this relatively unscathed while so many peers are struggling. I am not taking this for granted.
    I feel you. We have been more or less unimpacted financially, which I feel both relief and guilt over. It's hard to see people around me struggling while simultaneously booking a record revenue April. Like what do I do/have I done to deserve that luck?

But, like you, I am not taking it for granted.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Oh man, I really liked going to Fusion Sushi for AYCE. It's not everyone's jam and there is considerable debate between what makes good AYCE food, if at all even possible in their eyes.

I just miss paying $28 and stuffing my face full of tuna sashimi and unagi nigiri until I get mercury poisoning.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    I feel you. We have been more or less unimpacted financially, which I feel both relief and guilt over. It's hard to see people around me struggling while simultaneously booking a record revenue April. Like what do I do/have I done to deserve that luck?

But, like you, I am not taking it for granted.
    What I've been doing, outside of some private things, is spending extra on local businesses. Primarily restaurants and coffee shops for me but while I am making money I am going to be damn sure to do my part to help the places I like who are still able to function earn it too. I've found some new favourite spots as well as a result. I'm spending way less on some things (like drinks at a bar haha) but more overall right now, mostly on food and coffee and whatnot. And I think a lot of people are. To me that's how you give back for being fortunate enough to still be making money, put it back out there into people's pockets. The responsibility of money is to do good things with it.

It's good to hear you're both doing well.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 05-20-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Oh man, I really liked going to Fusion Sushi for AYCE. It's not everyone's jam and there is considerable debate between what makes good AYCE food, if at all even possible in their eyes.

I just miss paying $28 and stuffing my face full of tuna sashimi and unagi nigiri until I get mercury poisoning.

Man, not being able to pig out at Fusion is one of our greatest annoyances about the pandemic, haha.

RE:buffets - The wife and I have to be extra careful, so buffets (and eating at restaurants at all, really) are likely a no-go until a vaccine is available, depends on when. Once that's in place (assuming one is developed) I'd have no problem hitting one.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Fried rice?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Looks like we're doing a foodie meet at Fusion once this is all over!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast