Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 37 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Called the NE to pay over the phone for one, no dice. First come first serve in person which makes sense. There are only 2 available (2:03pm)

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    missed connection? I was just there 15-20min ago, got in my car with the RTX when I posted

they saw that I bought a 3060ti in December on my account but fortunately they allowed me to pick this 3070 up
    I hope that doesn't hamper me. I picked up my EVGA 3080 in Jan, and I'm on the list for another one. It's supposed to go into the wife's computer, as she's using my old 1080(non ti) right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I hope that doesn't hamper me. I picked up my EVGA 3080 in Jan, and I'm on the list for another one. It's supposed to go into the wife's computer, as she's using my old 1080(non ti) right now.
    You're allowed maximum two 30 series is what someone there told me when I asked about it last.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    yeah all I told them was that I have 2 gaming PCs and they accepted it. i think they are lenient if you bought one or 2 but if you bought more than that then they might not let you buy it.

there was an old asian couple in front of me, the old guy bought a 3070 and so did his wife

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by CivicDXR View Post
    You're allowed maximum two 30 series is what someone there told me when I asked about it last.
    Good to know. All my wife's computer purchases at memex are under my name anyways, so I'd hate to have to drag her along just to pick up a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Memex NW told me today that they save some 3000 series GPUs for people building whole systems with them, which makes sense as I don't think they would sell many systems otherwise. They also told me that originally they could use their employee discount on them, but now they can't - apparently Memex employees were buying them with their discount for mining/scalping.

Also, Chad at NW Memex is the best Memex employee I have personally dealt with. For all the complaining I do (mostly about the SE location), I am happy to finally report on a good experience there. So if you need something, give Chad a call at NW location.

My Ride
    rally pig

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Memex NW told me today that they save some 3000 series GPUs for people building whole systems with them, which makes sense as I don't think they would sell many systems otherwise. They also told me that originally they could use their employee discount on them, but now they can't - apparently Memex employees were buying them with their discount for mining/scalping.

Also, Chad at NW Memex is the best Memex employee I have personally dealt with. For all the complaining I do (mostly about the SE location), I am happy to finally report on a good experience there. So if you need something, give Chad a call at NW location.
    Thats good to hear!

Side note: anyone want to buy my mint condition white CoolerMaster NR200P for $100, (will come with everything down to the very last screw, riser cable, barely used fans, and packaging material)? Still has the plastic on the tempered glass panel (because asian). My ADHD is getting the better of me, and I want to move to an even smaller case again.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

When I went to the SE location around 4pm, when I asked what's available for video cards he quickly was like "absolutely nothing" lol. I put my name down for the card I genuinely want which will be forever from now.

When you put your name down at one store, does it apply to all stores or just that one? Put my name down for a 5900x too cuz that'll be forever as well...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    When I went to the SE location around 4pm, when I asked what's available for video cards he quickly was like "absolutely nothing" lol. I put my name down for the card I genuinely want which will be forever from now.

When you put your name down at one store, does it apply to all stores or just that one? Put my name down for a 5900x too cuz that'll be forever as well...
    I hate their reservation system. If I just want a 3060 ti why can't I say any card, but instead you pick a specific model. I could pick a base asus card and wait 8 weeks while someone picks a gigabyte card and gets it tomorrow, its so dumb.

My Ride
    rally pig

it is dumb, the NE wants a specific model but the SE actually asked me if I want to be called for any 3060ti that comes.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

Just that particular store, and they aren't supposed to let you reserve at more than one store.

My case was a bit of an exception as the NW store felt bad for the way SE treated me so they put me on their 5950X list in December, and they called me before the SE location whose list I've been on since September. SE was quick to lecture me on how I shouldn't have been on 2 lists.

The 3070's seem to come in a lot more often than any other card, if that is the one you're looking for, hopefully it isn't too long of a wait for you.

pheoxs covered the other issue I have with their reservation system, as it doesn't take into account the fact that shipments from certain manufacturers can be wildly different and the customer has no way of knowing that. You could be waiting months longer than someone who preordered on the same day as you just because you chose the 'wrong' brand/model.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Any suggestions for cheap basics?

I sold my i5-6500 and prime combo just before Christmas because it was sitting on a shelf. Now my wife wants me to build a basic pc for the kids to play with.

Always been an intel guy, but it sounds like Ryzens the right pick now, but their mobo ranges are all foreign to me.

theres like 12-15 3070s in NE, grabbed a master for my dad. NW didnt get any

thanks for the tip post spikers!
    DUH, the 3070 master is the card i lined up for several weeks ago at... NW.

How does this line up thing work between locations?

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    DUH, the 3070 master is the card i lined up for several weeks ago at... NW.

How does this line up thing work between locations?
    Its for the specific location you signed up for the wait list.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    Its for the specific location you signed up for the wait list.
    I was at the NE location two weeks ago, and the person helping me mentioned that to me that "wait list" is location specific, but all locations shares the inventory. So I just assumed the available cards will go to the wait list first. I guess it is likely that there were more people on the wait list for one location, but those on the wait list for that location didn't want it. So the unclaimed ones are just sold to walk ups instead of having to transfer to the other locations. It does make sense.

Oh well. That's alright.

SO... got a call from NW Memory Express this morning and picked up my 3070 Master...
    Nothing else I can see at the shelves behind the counter. But maybe if they have leftovers from the waitlist, it will be available.
    Waitlist and picked up from Cody. Was great dealing with him.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  82.1 KB

Decided to try running a benchmark using Heaven on my computer. Only updated drivers, no changes in the bios, and no overclock, everything is stock out of the box.

Funny thing is, I have no idea if this is good or not.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  82.1 KB

Decided to try running a benchmark using Heaven on my computer. Only updated drivers, no changes in the bios, and no overclock, everything is stock out of the box.

Funny thing is, I have no idea if this is good or not.
    Unigine is strictly GPU benchmark and your score is very similar/better than mine
    I'm running mine at 70% power limit though with +100 core and +500 memory clock. Even if I run stock 100% power no difference in score so I run at 70% for less power consumption and less heat (my GPU wasnt going over 59C while benchmarking).

curious to see a cinebench comparison with your 5800X vs my 3700X though to see how bad I get destroyed by your CPU

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Any suggestions for cheap basics?

I sold my i5-6500 and prime combo just before Christmas because it was sitting on a shelf. Now my wife wants me to build a basic pc for the kids to play with.

Always been an intel guy, but it sounds like Ryzens the right pick now, but their mobo ranges are all foreign to me.
    havent followed Intel since having moved to AMD, a B550 motherboard with a 3600/X might be a good entry point depending on your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    SO... got a call from NW Memory Express this morning and picked up my 3070 Master...
    Nothing else I can see at the shelves behind the counter. But maybe if they have leftovers from the waitlist, it will be available.
    Waitlist and picked up from Cody. Was great dealing with him.

when I picked up my Master 3070 yesterday, I told my dad to go to the NE store an hour after if he wanted another one. There were only a couple left on the shelves when he got there but they wouldn't sell them to the walk-in customers anymore stating that those were reserved for those that pre-ordered.
    Last edited by taemo; 02-27-2021 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

curious to see a cinebench comparison with your 5800X vs my 3700X though to see how bad I get destroyed by your CPU
    I will run one now

Multi core score is 15,444pts
    single core is 1,595
    Last edited by spikerS; 02-27-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast