Quantcast
Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Land, Building Multiple Houses + Shop, questions!

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume the build used very high end shit or the shop had multiple hydraulics lifts. For the house of 2000SQFT, I would assume the build should cost no more than 400k with standard finishing.

Or am I living in 2003?
    I was always told ~ $300-350/sqft of standard finishings if its got a developed basement. So that puts the house at at least 600k. Toss in some upgrades plus the garage and shop + living quarters and landscaping and I can see >$1M
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

rural house will be 30-40% higher per square foot for everything you need a contractor for.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I assume the build used very high end shit or the shop had multiple hydraulics lifts. For the house of 2000SQFT, I would assume the build should cost no more than 400k with standard finishing.

Or am I living in 2003?
    rural house will be 30-40% higher per square foot for everything you need a contractor for.
    This. Do not underestimate the cost of having your contractors commute to the property, likely from Calgary. If they are spending 2-3 hours a day in their truck getting to your site, don’t kid yourself that you aren’t paying for that time.

We had to jump through a ton of hoops to try and house workers on site or nearby to avoid half our build costs being spend in a truck.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rural property is easily 50% more awesome though. So you come out ahead.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Agreed. But being realistic is always important.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

ES is Lotoski's alt!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a buddy who did a very small kitchen reno, inside the city limits, and the tile crew needed eight trips, spread over three weeks, to complete thier work. I'm picturing that same crew working 90 minutes outside the city. They'd find excuses to just not show up if they had work somewhere closer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    ES is Lotoski's alt!
    Name:  tenor (18).gif
Views: 490
Size:  982.8 KB

My Ride
    V8s

Or am I living in 2003?
    In short: yes.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Finishes are fairly nice but not top end. A big cost around here that needs to be factored in is earthworks. We are in old growth forest with lots of terrain relief so a lot of work is required to clear and flatten your development area. With the area I cleared for my shop - half of the effort was trucking away additional material. You could save substantial costs by developing on flat, open land...but what fun is that??

Add regardless of where you are developing, you need to include tie ins, trenching utilities, doing your water (either a storage tank or a well, plus distribution/treatment) and a septic field...it all adds up pretty fast.

His shop is built like a house with a foundation, 16' walls, proper interior finishing so it wasn't cheap. The shop does have 4 lifts but those are only $3-4K a piece so a pretty minor part of the overall costs.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

If it’s the place I am thinking if it’s pretty awesome. Lots of space but feels really secluded and cozy, a car guys dream. The main garage is not just like some bare wall storage unit it feels like a second home for cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Going off topic, but I haven't had indoor parking for my own vehicle very many times. Had a carport once, and that was surprisingly good at keeping snow and frost off the windows, even though it obviously didn't keep the car warm.
    And my bro with a nice heated garage has insane rust problems because of the humidity. I still say unheated is better for the car.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    If it’s the place I am thinking if it’s pretty awesome. Lots of space but feels really secluded and cozy, a car guys dream. The main garage is not just like some bare wall storage unit it feels like a second home for cars.
    I think you're thinking of Mark's place...this is a different one nearby.

- - - Updated - - -

Going off topic, but I haven't had indoor parking for my own vehicle very many times. Had a carport once, and that was surprisingly good at keeping snow and frost off the windows, even though it obviously didn't keep the car warm.
    And my bro with a nice heated garage has insane rust problems because of the humidity. I still say unheated is better for the car.
    I haven't had any problems with vehicles rusting in a heated garage. A car we sold last year was my wife's daily for 8 years, parked in the garage every night and no rust top or bottom.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’d be ok with a carport for my daily as long as it had side protection from hail as well. I bought a truck last summer that got nailed only on the passenger side with hail from sitting in a carport.

Mark’s place was awesome, a true dream for me one day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    I haven't had any problems with vehicles rusting in a heated garage. A car we sold last year was my wife's daily for 8 years, parked in the garage every night and no rust top or bottom.
    I don't have any firsthand experience. Just my bro who has a 2015 lexus IS. Has like 35k on it, but undercarriage and any rock chips are quite rusty.

- - - Updated - - -

One day I'll save up enough pennies for a carport. A man can dream.

If the economy doesnt pick up anytime soon there could be some fire sales on acreages so get your cash lined up.
    My bro snagged an insane deal last year on a 6 acre, 7 year old 2800sq/ft bungalow for 1.1. I dont know the correct term but its already subdivided into 3-2 acre lots so hes thinking about selling off 2 for sure and according to the sales history around there the last 2 acre parcel sold for $350k just land. Hes also only 5 minutes from the Balzac costco which makes getting into calgary super close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    If the economy doesnt pick up anytime soon there could be some fire sales on acreages so get your cash lined up.
    My bro snagged an insane deal last year on a 6 acre, 7 year old 2800sq/ft bungalow for 1.1. I dont know the correct term but its already subdivided into 3-2 acre lots so hes thinking about selling off 2 for sure and according to the sales history around there the last 2 acre parcel sold for $350k just land. Hes also only 5 minutes from the Balzac costco which makes getting into calgary super close.
    If he wants to be out of the city with land and space from others, ending up with 2 acres is pretty small. It'd be nice to get $700K to offset costs but then you have 2 immediate neighbours. Just something for him to think about.

Not sure that's much of a fire sale though...you should see my neighbour's property right across the road from us. It used to be owned by Don Taylor, he and his wife bought it around the same time we did in the late 2000s. I think their place was listed at $8M and they got it for $6M. They tried to sell for a while a couple of years ago and ended up auctioning...they got $2.9M. 60 acres, 5000+ sqft house, massive attaches garages, 2000 sqft caretakers house, etc, etc.

I'm not worried about the Taylors though...I'm sure they easily took the $3M hit.

But I think those are the places that are really taking a hit right now. Most of the other usual stuff between $700K and $1.5M seem to be rolling as normal (at least SW of the city).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Who are the Taylor's?

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Who are the Taylor's?
    Calgarians might know him from this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ylor-1.2866530

https://taylorinstitute.ucalgary.ca/.../our-champions
    Last edited by never; 03-03-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Man, acreages are insane right now... There are almost no listings and anything in the 600k range goes in a snap! Out our way there was always a dozen or more right around us for sale and now there is virtually none. It's crazy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast