Quantcast
New FordF150 Lightning - electric? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: New FordF150 Lightning - electric?

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of my colleagues who had it before me towed with it.
    @ExtraSlow pops head up.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

My company rented one of these and I’ve had it for the past couple of days and get to keep it over the weekend. Planning on trying out a few chargers in the city to see how the experience is.

So far it’s been interesting and range anxiety is a real thing. It is very fast, and the range fluctuates big time depending on how heavy your foot is. Not entirely surprising but I just didn’t realize how much it would swing.

This morning I left my house at around 29% and plugged it into one of the level 2 chargers in the office building when I arrived at 8. I left at around 545 and it was up to 82% which I was pretty impressed with. Tonight I’ll try my 110 plug to see how much it can do, although I’m pretty sure it slows down charging after 85% to keep the battery in good health.

One of my colleagues who had it before me towed with it (I think a 20’ trailer) and a full charge only got them 150ish km so definitely not a good vehicle if you tow much.

Ask me anything else about it if you’re curious.
    How seamless is the vehicle 2 load function? Like if you take a random power tool is it just plug and play or is there a big of finangling through menus to use?

How would it function with a pet? Can you set the climate controls to keep it cool when you leave or precool it before leaving the office?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    @ExtraSlow pops head up.
    Nah, I don't mind EV's but this isn't too of my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Pretty huge news yesterday; Ford & Tesla announced that all new fords (next year) will switch over to the NACS chargers and have full access to all the Tesla supercharger network. Pretty huge move for Ford and wonder if we’ll see more of a shift away from CCS by other makers.

The side effect now I guess is you’d be pretty dumb to buy a lightning now until the change goes through. I wonder if they’ll offer retrofits.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Pretty huge news yesterday; Ford & Tesla announced that all new fords (next year) will switch over to the NACS chargers and have full access to all the Tesla supercharger network. Pretty huge move for Ford and wonder if we’ll see more of a shift away from CCS by other makers.

The side effect now I guess is you’d be pretty dumb to buy a lightning now until the change goes through. I wonder if they’ll offer retrofits.
    Is is big news and it might be the tipping point where other charging networks will start to offer NACS instead of CCS. It's fucked that there is more than one standard (like beta and VHS) and maybe beta will win this round.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

So far it’s been interesting and range anxiety is a real thing. It is very fast, and the range fluctuates big time depending on how heavy your foot is. Not entirely surprising but I just didn’t realize how much it would swing.

This morning I left my house at around 29% and plugged it into one of the level 2 chargers in the office building when I arrived at 8. I left at around 545 and it was up to 82% which I was pretty impressed with. Tonight I’ll try my 110 plug to see how much it can do, although I’m pretty sure it slows down charging after 85% to keep the battery in good health.
    Range anxiety goes away after a while. Most EVs have a buffer and will keep going after 0kms indicated.

Level 2 or 110v isn't even close to the charging speed where it needs to be throttled. I think it would take 3 days to fully charge an F150 with a 110v connection from empty. It's fucking slow. basically 1.0KW or less (depending on losses).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Is is big news and it might be the tipping point where other charging networks will start to offer NACS instead of CCS. It's fucked that there is more than one standard (like beta and VHS) and maybe beta will win this round.
    Beta lost ended up being cassette being too small, tape spool too short for taping a full football game.

Anyway, I assume all Ford EVs will have to re-engineer charging port location? Supercharger cord is so short, if a F150 pulls up, it may have to park sideways to reach and block multiple spots?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Beta lost ended up being cassette being too small, tape spool too short for taping a full football game.

Anyway, I assume all Ford EVs will have to re-engineer charging port location? Supercharger cord is so short, if a F150 pulls up, it may have to park sideways to reach and block multiple spots?
    That's an easy fix with a longer cable. V4 superchargers already have a magic dock for the CCS adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    How seamless is the vehicle 2 load function? Like if you take a random power tool is it just plug and play or is there a big of finangling through menus to use?

How would it function with a pet? Can you set the climate controls to keep it cool when you leave or precool it before leaving the office?
    They haven’t released pet mode yet. Apparently it’s imminent but I don’t see it on the app yet. In the meantime I think you can just leave it on with a/c and lock the doors if you have a pet in there. But just hope you don’t have some dickhead trying to be a hero break your windows.

It does have departure time settings, so you can configure it to be a certain temp for when you leave
    Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  44.7 KBName:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  55.5 KB

I’ll have to play around with the vehicle plugs later today but I did see physical switches so don’t think you have to mess around in menus to make it work.

I was pleasantly surprised with how many public charge points there are. Went to thornhill pool for my sons swimming lesson today and they had an L2 Flo, then to Canadian tire after and they have L3 Electrify Canada chargers (same ones that Petro-Canada runs).

Indeed like benyl mentioned, home charging is slow as hell on 110. Like 1kwh max. Would take 3-4 days to charge it from empty. Got 13% overnight on the 110:
    Name:  IMG_0681.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  49.1 KB

But there’s def enough public fast chargers around that I think someone could get away with not having one at home. Especially if workplace has one.
    Last edited by sabad66; 05-27-2023 at 01:21 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5