Quantcast
Split threads (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Split threads (split)

Default Split threads (split)

Ummmmmm... I am a bit confused because I had nothing to do with starting this thread but I am listed as doing so. Is it some weird getting hacked thing? As a matter or fact, those comments are from a luxury car subscription thread. Weird... Any ideas what's up??

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ummmmmm... I am a bit confused because I had nothing to do with starting this thread but I am listed as doing so. Is it some weird getting hacked thing? As a matter or fact, those comments are from a luxury car subscription thread. Weird... Any ideas what's up??
    Discussion of impaired driving was separated out of that thread

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Discussion of impaired driving was separated out of that thread
    Why am I listed as starting the thread? I am a bit weirded out by that.

Why am I listed as starting the thread? I am a bit weirded out by that.
    Time wise your post was the first one separated out and merged with the other impaired driving laws thread so it just defaulted the author of the thread to the chronologically first poster (you).

Time wise your post was the first one separated out and merged with the other impaired driving laws thread so it just defaulted the author of the thread to the chronologically first poster (you).
    Still kind of weird that can happen like that. It bothers me really. Not any issues being associated with the topic or anything, but it feels somehow invasive and dishonest.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Still kind of weird that can happen like that. It bothers me really. Not any issues being associated with the topic or anything, but it feels somehow invasive and dishonest.
    Relax. It was just that post that steered the rest of the thread off topic. The first post just keeps the following conversation in context. It has nothing to do with who started this thread.

In fact, this thread is starting to go off-topic again now haha

I get how you feel but I wouldn’t read into it.

Just pruning out the off topic banter in that thread that more or less initiated from your post. Probably just a logical place to start. Everyone posting knows the context of your original post

I’d actually say the moderating here is pretty exceptional. One of the few places where you can get in a heated disagreement with a mod and they don’t get all bitchy and leverage their authoritah over you

I’d actually say the moderating here is pretty exceptional. One of the few places where you can get in a heated disagreement with a mod and they don’t get all bitchy and leverage their authoritah over you
    I absolutely agree with all of that, but that is my point. Nobody has ever initiated a thread topic in my name before and it is a bit of an overstep imo. I am not pissed as much as weirded out by it. This is a essentially a media site and it seems weird to create a topic in an individuals name that didn't do so. I get why it happened and I know it isn't malicious or anything, but it is weird. That's all I am saying.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I absolutely agree with all of that, but that is my point. Nobody has ever initiated a thread topic in my name before and it is a bit of an overstep imo. I am not pissed as much as weirded out by it. This is a essentially a media site and it seems weird to create a topic in an individuals name that didn't do so. I get why it happened and I know it isn't malicious or anything, but it is weird. That's all I am saying.
    The high school grades thread was started under me for a split too. I was like, huh. I guess I better read my own thread. I lost interest in it though haha
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    This and that.

Don't worry about it too much Bob, happens every time there is an off topic discussion. For example, the other thread with 'shakalaka wants a dog', wasn't actually I thread I started but a comment I had made in a post your dog picture thread. Lots of people replied to it so someone made it into a separate thread. It's funny though, the title makes me seem like a cocky douche or something talking about myself in third person in the title....lol

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Don't worry about it too much Bob, happens every time there is an off topic discussion. For example, the other thread with 'shakalaka wants a dog', wasn't actually I thread I started but a comment I had made in a post your dog picture thread. Lots of people replied to it so someone made it into a separate thread. It's funny though, the title makes me seem like a cocky douche or something talking about myself in third person in the title....lol
    Still weird... I would think there has to be a way to do something like this better. If a mod can do this then maybe they can put in a first post saying they are starting the new thread with older, potentially out of context posts or something, and then they will show as the post starter. Maybe it doesn't work like that, I don't know. I know a lot about what I know, but I am a bit of a techno-peasant. Lol

My Ride
    ute

This split is now a troll of bob...lol

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

How ya feel now Bob? One more and maybe it won’t be weird anymore?

Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post

How ya feel now Bob? One more and maybe it won’t be weird anymore?
    Doh!! The overlords are spanking my ass now... So this is what it feels like to be put back in place! I shall surrender quietly. I can only blame old age and too many the gummies on my behaviour.

Although....

Still weird... Now I will go search for the tinfoil and fashion myself a hat.

Edit - I guess I should explain why I am a bit weirded out better and my aversion to this sort of thing. I had the experience of almost losing a lot of money and my first house deal because the bank googled me the day before the possession of said house and found here on Beyond a thread way back when where I was talking about opening the new business of UrbanX and they said that because of the fact I was the owner I no longer qualified for the mortgage as I had initially applied as an employee rather than an owner and that they would not give me the money. Long story but in the end with help from my biz lawyer I did qualify and did apply correctly based upon my level of share ownership at that point in time etc.

My point being it made me realize that people do Google you and use what you say to decide shit about you so when somebody has the ability to make it look like I started a thread about any subject when I did not, it makes me uneasy.

As an example, say MADD wants to support my company and Google's me and up pops a thread where if you didn't read any further than the title makes it look like I am questioning laws designed to remove drunks from the road, they might now have an unjust hate on for me and it can hurt me and my company. If I started that thread legitimately it would be all on me, but when someone else can make that happen without me actually starting the thread, well that just doesn't sit right.

It is one thing when you are an anonymous person, but another when you are representing yourself and it is known exactly who the person is and what their business is. The effect can be farther reaching so I just would like to be in control of my own words rather than at the mercy of a split thread. My apologies to all if it sounds like I am coming off as a whiner because that is not me at all (usually I guess).
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-11-2019 at 08:43 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have also been weirded out by threads split and started in my name.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This split is now a troll of bob...lol
    For the record... I do appreciate the excellent trolling even if I don't appreciate what led to it!