Quantcast
2019 Mercedes Benz A Hatchback Coming to Canada. CONFIRMED - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mercedes Benz A Hatchback Coming to Canada. CONFIRMED

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had my GLA45 spec'd to $75k. Wouldn't hesitate to pay $80k if it had the hybrid system. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
    ill have to get the dealer to order one in an odd color and sit on it for a few months.

My Ride
    2019 RS3, Corolla winter beater

Probably best to stick to a base A45 with select options, thereby keeping it in the 60K range... looking at the competition like RS3 and M2 that seems about right? Yeah for sure, 70K-80K lots of other options to consider once you're in that territory.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Boostn View Post
    Probably best to stick to a base A45 with select options, thereby keeping it in the 60K range... looking at the competition like RS3 and M2 that seems about right? Yeah for sure, 70K-80K lots of other options to consider once you're in that territory.
    Yeah, but I'm with Rage that kinda disappointed EQ Boost didn't make it to the 45s. Especially they are already have that with GLC250 and 300s.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Yeah, but I'm with Rage that kinda disappointed EQ Boost didn't make it to the 45s. Especially they are already have that with GLC250 and 300s.
    Yup, very disappointed. The system works well, maybe a little too well in that my E53 doesn't feel particularly fast except right off the line. Everywhere else it just feels smooth.

Here's the R&T blurb about it: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...l-hybrid-2021/

Still hoping they're wrong as everyone else still reporting A45 will be hybrid, but I mean they talked directly with Tobias Moers, so probably right. There's already an A45 prototype last gen that has all the 48V hybrid bits and exact functionality of what's in my car: https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...13-fevseg.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

$75K for an A Class with leather?

Joking aside, that's similar to the RS3/M2 so it seems to be priced competitively. So many nice cars in the $70-80K range though, even within those same brands, it would be really hard to decide.

I read the new 45 motor is a redesign, so you'd think if they were going to add the 48V hybrid, now would be the logical time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    $75K for an A Class with leather?

Joking aside, that's similar to the RS3/M2 so it seems to be priced competitively. So many nice cars in the $70-80K range though, even within those same brands, it would be really hard to decide.

I read the new 45 motor is a redesign, so you'd think if they were going to add the 48V hybrid, now would be the logical time.
    Leather? Fuck that, have to go with the cheap vinyl to get these sweet ass alcantara seats.

Name:  GLA45-Interior.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  80.3 KB

Probably wear like shit, but man how good it would feel and smell that first week. Drive around shirtless.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Leather? Fuck that, have to go with the cheap vinyl to get these sweet ass alcantara seats.

Probably wear like shit, but man how good it would feel and smell that first week. Drive around shirtless.
    Those do look awesome. My last S4 had the same style seats (leather bolsters / alcantara seat & seat back) and they were some of the best seats I've experienced. Still looked like new when I sold it, but I didn't drive around shirtless which may affect how they wear haha. I would totally go that route again. Leather is very hot/cold, leather cracks if not taken care of, leather gets wear marks, leather scratches easy - it's never my first choice.

I'd much rather have cloth/alcantara but with most vehicles you don't get a choice depending on trim level.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I literally have to keep a suede brush in my door and clean the steering wheel at stop lights to keep it semi soft... lmao.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I literally have to keep a suede brush in my door and clean the steering wheel at stop lights to keep it semi soft... lmao.
    I just switch cars every 2 or 3 years. The things we do to deal with alcantara.

My Ride
    M3P

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not sure what took them so long to put the driving mode selector on the steering wheel. It's ugly but it's very usable there.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not sure what took them so long to put the driving mode selector on the steering wheel. It's ugly but it's very usable there.
    It’s there on the C since last year’s refresh. I assume it’s on the e as well which has the new steering wheel.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

A35 is getting it as well.

Finally got a chance to drive an A250 and spend some time with it. Extremely impressive car overall. Interior is excellent, tech is obviously class leading if not industry leading (though it is still missing my favorite feature unless I missed it - lane keep). The dual 10.25" screens are great, not quite smartphone responsive, but miles ahead of most if not all other cars at the moment. The haptic feedback was great on the center pad, but it would have been nice to also have it in the steering wheel and screen for consistency (Maybe you can enable that?) Not a big deal, it was excellent overall. Nice to see USB-C everywhere as well, but I can't find any info on their charging wattage - I am going to assume it is more than your typical ~5W USB port. MBUX is cool, and is fast enough and responsive enough that you actually want to use it unlike virtually every other "assistant" other than Google/Siri. The interior lighting strips give everything a really high-end look and you can impress your passengers by changing the color via MBUX haha.

The ride quality was perhaps the single most impressive thing for me, it felt more like a car 2-3 sizes larger in terms of ride quality. It was pretty quiet too. I couldn't coax a single creak or rattle out of it even after all my tests on back roads and railroad tracks. Really, really tight car - apparently they are still made in Germany instead of Mexico, according to the salesman anyway.

Powertrain was good, the motor was strong and it felt much like a GTI in that respect which isn't surprising as they have almost identical power numbers. The only thing I didn't love was the transmission - shifts were oddly slow by DCT standards and VW/AUDI's DSG implementation in my opinion is noticeably better. Likely just programming as I'm sure it's a state of the art transmission, but that is how it felt. Not enough to be a deal breaker but I wish it was just a bit better - I suspect the 32AMG solves that, but it's a big price jump.

I love that a heated steering wheel and the Burmester sound system are standalone options - usually you have to add $8-10K of options or something ridiculous just to get those things on other cars. Huge props to MB for not lumping those in with absurdly overpriced option packages full of other stuff you don't necessarily want.

The only thing I couldn't' figure out was if Dynamic Ride Select affected the suspension on the hatch. The salesman said it did, and the graphic on the car literally shows a graphic of a damper for "Sport" mode, however none of the Mercedes literature mentions adjustable suspension on the A class hatch, not even in the 35 page detailed PDF. In the section on dynamic ride select, only transmission, steering, and throttle are mentioned as adjustment parameters. On the sedan, adjustable suspension is mentioned many times and MB makes a point of it, which further leads me to believe it is not adjustable on the hatch since it is not found anywhere on the website or literature. Can anyone confirm either way?

Also, does keyless go lock the car when you walk away from it? The salesman said no, but that is a really basic feature so I figured it must have that given the rest of the tech.

The shift lever and door-mounted seat controls always have me reaching in the wrong place haha, that would take a day or two to get used to. Anyways I walked away really impressed, if I can get a lease under $500/mo I will probably try to get myself into a MY2020.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

1. NA market gets shafted on the autonomous drive suite (intelligent drive). It’s just not available here. Only option is the lane drift warning that slows down your car and jerks you back into the lane.

2. There is no USB PD on the charging ports. It’s just standard 10W USB charging AFAIK. Not even sure why they went USB-C.

3. Magnetic adjustable dampers were only part of the AMG drivers package, which is on the 45s and probably the 35s? The 250 certainly won’t have them. If they did change it and it’s in the sedan, bonus!

4. No walk away auto lock. The app does warn you that you’ve left it unlocked and can lock it from there though.

The A250 hatch looks terrific in person. Great ride height and stance.

1. NA market gets shafted on the autonomous drive suite (intelligent drive). It’s just not available here. Only option is the lane drift warning that slows down your car and jerks you back into the lane.

2. There is no USB PD on the charging ports. It’s just standard 10W USB charging AFAIK. Not even sure why they went USB-C.

3. Magnetic adjustable dampers were only part of the AMG drivers package, which is on the 45s and probably the 35s? The 250 certainly won’t have them. If they did change it and it’s in the sedan, bonus!

4. No walk away auto lock. The app does warn you that you’ve left it unlocked and can lock it from there though.

The A250 hatch looks terrific in person. Great ride height and stance.
    That's perfect, thanks - pretty much answers all my questions. Too bad we don't get the autonomous drive stuff, I would pay up for that.

The literature I have seen suggests the sedan might get the adjustable suspension but not the hatch - no mention of anything magnetic though, so maybe a simpler system. Hard to imagine they are different though. The dealer sent me this link but it's not a Canadian link:

https://www.mercedes-benz.ie/passeng...damping-system

I can't seem to attach a PDF but the 27 page long detailed PDF on the MY2020 hatch makes no mention of adjustable suspension either.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The autonomous driving package is awesome. My car drove to Edmonton without intervention. Drove to Shuswap mostly without intervention (Golden being tricky).

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I agree with the DCT, it doesn't shift as fast as the VW/Audi DCT. But it does have the shift fart at WOT.

Even without the adjustable suspension, it does ride quite nicely. Not harsh at all, well composed yet can handle spirited driving.

I was surprised it doesn't have the lane keep assist (or variant of it). Only Active Brake Assist and Radar Cruise Control.

I did play around with the AR navigation. It is pretty cool tech.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Is the AMG version coming here?

The autonomous driving package is awesome. My car drove to Edmonton without intervention. Drove to Shuswap mostly without intervention (Golden being tricky).
    I can *almost* do that now, but there are a few turns I think mostly near Red Deer that are slightly too sharp for lane keep haha. The rest of the way works just fine with no driver input. Too bad you can't get the full autonomous drive package on the A - maybe in later MY's.

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    I agree with the DCT, it doesn't shift as fast as the VW/Audi DCT. But it does have the shift fart at WOT.

Even without the adjustable suspension, it does ride quite nicely. Not harsh at all, well composed yet can handle spirited driving.

I was surprised it doesn't have the lane keep assist (or variant of it). Only Active Brake Assist and Radar Cruise Control.

I did play around with the AR navigation. It is pretty cool tech.
    Yeah the transmission was the only disappointing part for me, and it wasn't that bad - just not as good as other similarly priced vehicles. It seemed to rev-match the downshifts too but only really when you were driving spiritedly - a downshift when driving slow felt like a traditional automatic still.

I tried switching between comfort and sport and if there is any suspension difference it's very subtle - I don't think it changes it at all though based on what I've been reading (so far). The steering tightens up and throttle/transmission mapping changes though so some of it was probably in my head. I feel like even the DCT in the old B class was better, but it's been a while since I've driven one.

It still rode amazing and felt like a much bigger car in terms of the ride and stability - I would like a little stiffer suspension for "spirited" driving though and something adjustable would be perfect - comfort for commute, sport for fun. It was not a big deal either way, it still handled perfectly fine for 99% of any driving I would ever do with it.

Yeah with all that tech I am rather shocked it doesn't have lane keep (or similar) or walk-away door locks - both features found on econoboxes these days and both some of my most used and most appreciated features currently. The app is cool though and as rage mentioned it notifies you if you forgot to lock the car and remote locking is pretty sweet. OTA firmware updates are also neat.

The one I test drove didn't have AR Nav, nor would I buy one with it just because I use AA and Google Maps 100% of the time, but it is a super cool feature no doubt. The tech in the car overall is really excellent. I wasn't able to hear the Burmester sound system either but I assume it's more than adequate.

The salesman also said it was full time AWD but I am pretty sure it is FWD with the ability to send up to 50% of the power to the rear. I think in the AMG cars it sends power 50/50 whenever you get on the gas, but I am not sure if the basic 4MATIC does that.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Is the AMG version coming here?
    MB website says Spring 2020 for the A35, not sure about A45.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast