Quantcast
Apple Thread - Page 43 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 43 of 193 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Thread

My Ride
    This and that.

Gotta say; loving this Face ID thing so far. Works flawlessly in all kinds of conditions. So far tried with a hat and no issues.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I agree that faceID is working way better than I thought it would. For me learning all the gestures has been a struggle. I was so used to the gestures on the previous iPhones i really wish the X shared some of them but it seems like seriously every single one has changed LOL.

I also agree with the keyboard, that needs to be fixed way too much wasted space. Using this side by side with my 7+ and its a tank, feels heavier and thicker.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    This and that.

What other gesture controls other than swiping up from bottom to close apps and swiping up and holding for a second for multitasking is there?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Swipe down right horn for control center. Swipe down left horn for notifications, which from lock screen is swipe up from middle of screen. Then there’s force close apps that’s completely different, it’s not swipe up anymore but hold to turn on close mode and red minus.

Slowly getting used to it tho.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the fine print on that? If it covers lost/stolen, how often can you claim it since they would have no way of confirming anything?
    I had a portable CD player stolen that I bought with my CC that had lost/stolen coverage. They accepted my claim but I had to buy a new one first, and they would reimburse that one.

Looks like all you need to do is throw on a pair of glasses - Face ID let two completely different looking people open the same phone when they put on glasses:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/04/face-id-siblings-fail/

Looks like all you need to do is throw on a pair of glasses - Face ID let two completely different looking people open the same phone when they put on glasses:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/04/face-id-siblings-fail/
    The brother (which already looks super similar to his brother) had to have FaceID fail a few times, while entering the correct passcode each failed attempt, before it would "bypass" FaceID. What's happening behinds the scenes is that the failed brother's face, with each entry of a correct passcode, is being used as training data for the AI. He already looks similar enough to his brother and the passcode entries helped change the shape of the AI just enough to recognize him as well.

Apple said right from the beginning that FaceID is not secure against twins. The brothers in this video may not officially be twins, but they could sure pass for a pair just walking down the street.
    Last edited by RedDawn; 11-05-2017 at 01:52 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ya the follow up video explained it well. Basically trained FaceID for 2 similar looking people. If the brother never had the password it would’ve been secure.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by RedDawn View Post
    The brother (which already looks super similar to his brother) had to have FaceID fail a few times, while entering the correct passcode each failed attempt, before it would "bypass" FaceID. What's happening behinds the scenes is that the failed brother's face, with each entry of a correct passcode, is being used as training data for the AI. He already looks similar enough to his brother and the passcode entries helped change the shape of the AI just enough to recognize him as well.

Apple said right from the beginning that FaceID is not secure against twins. The brothers in this video may not officially be twins, but they could sure pass for a pair just walking down the street.
    They don't look similar at all - vastly different hair, different moles/birthmarks, etc. Considering how accurate its supposed to be and how those 2 guys don't even look related except for the fact they're both brown, that was a bit surprising to me. Identical twins I could understand but these two guys look nothing alike - major features are different.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They don't look similar at all - vastly different hair, different moles/birthmarks, etc. Considering how accurate its supposed to be and how those 2 guys don't even look related except for the fact they're both brown, that was a bit surprising to me. Identical twins I could understand but these two guys look nothing alike - major features are different.
    It didn’t work until he trained FaceID his face by unlocking using the passcode. So for similar faces and having the password it’s possible to learn 2 faces.

I tried the trick with my stepson. Didn’t work haha.

My Ride
    rally pig

if you look closely they very look much the same other than facial hair and the mole.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    if you look closely they very look much the same other than facial hair and the mole.
    I disagree - eye shape, glasses, hair, hairline, facial hair, mole, lips, etc. all very easily noticeable as different. Those people look nothing alike to me except for skin color. If such prominent features are ignored, what good is it? It's supposed to be insanely accurate, down to the tiniest detail. Sounds like there may have been more to the story though if the phone was still learning, so maybe not that big of a deal. If someone wanted into your phone anyway it would be much easier just to steal it and point it at you haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I disagree - eye shape, glasses, hair, hairline, facial hair, mole, lips, etc. all very easily noticeable as different. Those people look nothing alike to me except for skin color. If such prominent features are ignored, what good is it? It's supposed to be insanely accurate, down to the tiniest detail. Sounds like there may have been more to the story though if the phone was still learning, so maybe not that big of a deal. If someone wanted into your phone anyway it would be much easier just to steal it and point it at you haha.
    They reproduced it in the follow up video in your link. Basically, first guy sets up Face ID. Second guy goes to unlock, fails, enters passcode. Did that 6 Times before faceid learned his differences and passed faceid. The original brother able to unlock as well. Basically inadvertently programmed 2 close looking people that way.

TechCrunch reference an Apple support doc explaining Face ID says this could happen with close looking faces and passcode unlocks.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/05/ps...-accidentally/

TL;DR: if bro didn’t have passcode, this wouldn’t be possible.

Edit - tried with one brother, didn’t work.

My Ride
    an econo box

I'm not a big Samsung fan but this ad is pure savagery. Watch till the end

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    I'm not a big Samsung fan but this ad is pure savagery. Watch till the end

I see a black guy that can't afford to buy storage, apple care, or wireless headphones. That's racist!

Seriously though, Samsung is in such a great position. They make more money off iPhone sales than their own phone sales, which is amazing.

My Ride
    an econo box

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I see a black guy that can't afford to buy storage, apple care, or wireless headphones. That's racist!

Seriously though, Samsung is in such a great position. They make more money off iPhone sales than their own phone sales, which is amazing.
    Hahaha yeah. The dude's hairline at the end had me rolling

With the X using a Samsung panel it looks like Samsung wins with iPhone X sales too.

That video was savage haha, I'm surprised they can get away with such blatant mockery without it being a legal nightmare.

Just read $549 USD to replace the rear glass on the X which is testing to be "the most breakable phone ever" That's one way to sell more Apple Cares haha. Glad I stuck with the regular 8.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    With the X using a Samsung panel it looks like Samsung wins with iPhone X sales too.
    It's probably not the same company - Samsung Display Solutions is probably not the same as Samsung Mobile (or whatever they call it). This sort of arrangement is not at all unusual. Sony does the same thing with camera sensors. Sony Semiconductor Solutions makes way more money than Sony Imaging by selling sensors to the competition.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Just read $549 USD to replace the rear glass on the X which is testing to be "the most breakable phone ever" That's one way to sell more Apple Cares haha. Glad I stuck with the regular 8.
    It's not that much cheaper with the 8 either.

In CAD, $709!!! for the X, $509 for the 8 Plus, $449 for the 8. Bought my AppleCare on Saturday so I can continue to go case free without worrying about shelling out an arm and a leg haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Played with the iPhone X camera last night at the hockey game, very impressed. Shot on the 2x lens at 4K/60 (youtube seems to dumb it down to 30fps) but still looks mighty impressive seeing as I'm in row 14 in the 200's second bowl. Here's the raw footage of the shootout, make sure you select 4K mode.

edit - replaced with Vimeo, still down to 30fps. Gotta figure out how to get things uploaded at 4K/60fps.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not that much cheaper with the 8 either.

In CAD, $709!!! for the X, $509 for the 8 Plus, $449 for the 8. Bought my AppleCare on Saturday so I can continue to go case free without worrying about shelling out an arm and a leg haha.
    $700 that is ridiculous. I also didn't know the 8 would be almost as much. Apple care definitely worth it on that one! If it wasn't a work phone I'd buy it haha.

Page 43 of 193 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast