Quantcast
1m buffer around bicycles on roadways - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1m buffer around bicycles on roadways

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not arguing otherwise, I am arguing that it would be illegal do to many of those things in my vehicle, and when a cyclist is on the road they are a vehicle. Why is it OK for cyclists only to ignore the rules of the road and run stop signs at their discretion? It would be faster for me in my car to blow through stop signs too if I got there first.
    You said its somehow inconveniencing you. Is it? I never said it's not illegal, but you can run stops at your discretion too...the cops might not like that defence though

My Ride
    '14 Taco

double post

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    An Idaho stop is more efficient, and safer for everyone.. How does this make it ANY less convenient for you, as it clears the intersection faster? I am not advocating blowing stop signs or cutting infront of traffic, but it is faster for everyone involved if the biker is there first, to allow them to use it as a yield instead of a stop.
    How would you confirm who was there first if the bicycle doesn't have to stop?

You said its somehow inconveniencing you. Is it? I never said it's not illegal, but you can run stops at your discretion too...the cops might not like that defence though
    No, I specifically said I am not arguing that it wouldn't be faster - obviously it's faster if you don't stop, just like it would be faster if I didn't stop my car or drove at 200km/h down the highway. My point is that it would be faster for me to do all the same things in my car, so what makes cyclists special? Or are you admitting to simply riding illegally when convenient for you?

I could run stop signs at my discretion, but I don't. The fine is steep and just because I think the intersection is clear before I roll though, doesn't mean it is. If nobody stopped at stop signs, how would you know who goes in a 4-way?

It keeps coming back to cyclists wanting to be whatever suits them (pedestrian, vehicle, whatever else).

My Ride
    Hybrid

Always at the stereotyping and wild hyperbole that comes out on Beyond whenever a bike is mentioned.

One cyclist is seen riding on the sidewalk from the bike rack to the intersection = all cyclists ride on any sidewalk whenever/wherever they feel like it.
    By that logic, I saw someone who was speeding glance at their phone the other day. Everybody here must be posting on Beyond from behind the wheel at 80km/h in a playground zone.

Even though the "Idaho stop" isn't within the scope of the current changes, I disagree with introducing it into the bylaw, it leaves too much room for poor judgement.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    One cyclist is seen riding on the sidewalk from the bike rack to the intersection = all cyclists ride on any sidewalk whenever/wherever they feel like it.
    Nope, this judgement comes from people hopping on and off the sidewalk all willy nilly whenever they feel like it to cut lights and use crosswalks/crosswalk signs and to cut in front of people or just general asshattery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Honestly, we should just have roundabouts everywhere instead of stop signs, then nobody stops unless there is traffic they need to yield to. BAN STOP SIGNS!!
    The two roundabouts they've put into Red Deer work well, except I've heard the H11 overpass from Sylvan gets fucked up in heavy traffic.

Roundabouts are great... until they aren't.

Creating safe spaces for hippies is what I’m getting out of this?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Beyonders Getting Coffee In Cars Behind A Cyclist: Seinfeld Calgary Edition
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Hard fucking no, to Idaho stops. I've almost killed a bicyclist a few times in the belt-line, trolling on thru. They'll blow through the stop-signs if they're allowed to, raising the stakes.

I bike often on a 'shared lane' on 11th St SE (i'd take the pathway..if there was one).. I'd love for a 1m buffer to at least suggest people not attempting to clip me with mirrors and the like. Add snow to the mix, and i have virtually no where to actually bike anymore as the entire 'shared' lane is gone, and would require me to take the full lane.

1 m around a cyclist isnt going to make your commute to work any harder or longer, but it will sure make it safer for the guy riding the bike. We don't win many of those collisions..
    Actually, it does make it longer. And if safety is your concern, cut through the sanctuary. Won't take you much longer.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    V8s

Roundabouts are great in theory (and other places in the world), but our drivers are FAR to stupid to learn a new set of rules; they can't even learn the set we have already had in place for decades.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:07 PM.

It's really stupid for me to have to do a full stop coming off a pathway, to cross a road, to get back on the pathway, when it is fully apparent that no one is coming or am not at risk. I am pretty sure they are just making this 'legal', cause no one does this anyway.

Technically, to the letter of the law, you have to do a full stop, and then cross. Full stop to get back onto the path.

Its funny all the drivers that bitch about the little things that cyclists do. For example, i typically am going to ride across at a crosswalk. it makes it faster for everyone as im out of the intersection in 1/10th the time it would take to walk, yet still you get some people in cars bitching for the sake of bitching...
    It's also really stupid for me as a driver to come to a complete stop at a stop sign when I can clearly see for 10 seconds before I stop whether it is clear or not. But I can't imagine them changing the rules on rolling stops to accommodate actual vehicles and reduce congestion. Nice double standard.

You'll never hear me bitch about riding through a cross walk. By all means, keep that worthless hunk of shit on wheels off the main roadway, and cross as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    It's also really stupid for me as a driver to come to a complete stop at a stop sign when I can clearly see for 10 seconds before I stop whether it is clear or not. But I can't imagine them changing the rules on rolling stops to accommodate actual vehicles and reduce congestion. Nice double standard.

You'll never hear me bitch about riding through a cross walk. By all means, keep that worthless hunk of shit on wheels off the main roadway, and cross as quickly as possible.
    The thing is though, if you can see clearly 10 seconds before you stop that it’s clear like you say, then you would be observant enough to be able to see any cop around so it doesn’t matter if it’s law to stop at a stop sign.

It’s like distracted driving tickets, I hate when people argue them, really? You didn’t see the cop? And you’re arguing you weren’t distracted?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    A cyclist who has to start and stop produces virtually no carbon emissions.... and isn't this what riding to work is all about? Saving the environment?

?
    I ride cause I like the exercise and save a bit of money on gas. I drive a Tacoma daily... im not saving the environment

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    The thing is though, if you can see clearly 10 seconds before you stop that it’s clear like you say, then you would be observant enough to be able to see any cop around so it doesn’t matter if it’s law to stop at a stop sign.

It’s like distracted driving tickets, I hate when people argue them, really? You didn’t see the cop? And you’re arguing you weren’t distracted?
    Wouldn't matter if there is a cop or not. I stop at stop signs, period. I'm not taking a risk of a 3 demerit ticket when there could very well be an UC parked right across the street. Not like a full stop really loses any time. Unfortunately we can't say the same about the absurdly low speed limits.

I can't say I even know anyone who has got a distracted driving ticket. Seems they don't even enforce it. Too busy out running racketeering scams collecting speed revenue for the government coffers to care about traffic safety. But your analogy reminds me of people with multiple DUI's. As we all know, as a whole distracted driving is far more dangerous than what is considered drinking and driving. But I always get a laugh at people with multiple DUI's saying "I'm a perfectly good driver when drinking". Obviously you're not or you wouldn't have been caught 4 times. lol.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I know several people that have gotten distracted driving tickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I ride cause I like the exercise and save a bit of money on gas. I drive a Tacoma daily... im not saving the environment
    You know what’s great for exercise? Stopping and starting again at intersections
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You know what’s great for exercise? Stopping and starting again at intersections
    ha! well can't argue with that one

My Ride
    6.2L V8

If I receive a 1m buffer from the bicyclette then I shall award them their 1m buffer. Fortunately for me, I know that no pot-head shaved-head dread-head bicyclette rider will EVER give me any type of buffer zone at all. I was sitting in traffic (kensington rush hour) in our recently sold 3/4 ton one day, minding my own business, I check my sideview mirror and all I see is a helmet full of smelly green dreadlocks. This MF is on his bike leant up against my truck, smoking a fucking marijuana cigarette. I whipped my door open and said
    "HEY -- man give me some of your marijuana cigarette". He said ok and he gave it to me and rode away.
    No. Buffer. Given.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Dafuq did I just read.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast