Quantcast
E55 AMG practicality - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: E55 AMG practicality

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

That car doesn't have a RIGHT TO LIVE! I have to blast it dead .. there, it's dead..

It's such a bizarre concept I think. Super large, heavy super strong car that is quite fast, and quite comfortable, but what the hell, gonna go on the track with such a thing costing that much? Then the performance feels wasted, and a SL500 or whatever they are called would be far more comfortable and practical. I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

EDIT: My latest post in this thread, it makes it easier to get into the argument.

---------------------------

Lets explore the implications of mixing performance and luxury into a single vehicle instead of two seperate more dedicated ones. I am not an expert, I just thought of these after thinking for a while about the issue. I am sorry if I made it hard to read and didn't sort it thoroughly. Feel free to add to the lists, and add overall comments.

I am aware that certain things about performance and convinience do reinforce each other, such as very light suspension parts = low unsprung weight, higher chance of avoiding accidents bla bla, but on the other hand, performance only helps that much in traffic, and that can be attained in low level cars such as the Subaru Legacy and Ford Contour for example.

Positive:

1. Requires less transportations (no need for switching)

2. Can race damned fast (i.e. breaking the law) on public roads. Wether or not this is a positive thing is subjective.

3. Requires half the garage/storage space.

4. Racing will be more comfortable (allthough comfort will make it perform worse).

5. Social Tool value is usually higher.

Negative:

1. Safety devices desired for peformance racing are undesirable in a comfort car. This applies if one intends to actually use the performance in a legal way and not race around in traffic (this performance is nearly useless in cities more or less). Thus safety is compromised.

2. Luxury elements in a comfort car are not desirable in a performance car. Such as automatic transmission, large ammounts of sound deadening compounds, Air Conditioning, double-layered windows, several powered items, sun/moonroof, back-seats, suspension tuning for tolerable rides (I am aware of the variable suspension of the E55AMG but I suspect this is more prone to damage and has more mass), overassisted steering, even the long wheelbase required to fit a comfortably sized trunk and rear seat - will harm center of gravity, weight distribution, etc. In other words, these elements counter-act performance.

3. Wear and tear (tyres, brakes, engine) from the two aspects (driving and racing) will both add up. Repairs to either will prevent usage of the other.

4. Certain components will require switching for more of the desired utility/performance. I.e. slicks, softer race compounds, studded winter tyres and what else. This is extra labour.

5. Damage resulting from either performance or just a normal accident will inevitably affect the other. Therefore one puts the other element at risk (like putting the family's car on risk needlessly when going to race on the track) whenever using either element.

6. Fuel economy, emission levels, maintenance frequency and costs, theft and vandalism risks, insurance premiums; will all become worse.

7. Performance car traits such as mid mounted engine, aerodynamic aids, low seating position, are undesirable on convinience cars.
    Last edited by Mikko; 02-06-2003 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mikko
    That car doesn't have a RIGHT TO LIVE! I have to blast it dead .. there, it's dead..

It's such a bizarre concept I think. Super large, heavy super strong car that is quite fast, and quite comfortable, but what the hell, gonna go on the track with such a thing costing that much? Then the performance feels wasted, and a SL500 or whatever they are called would be far more comfortable and practical. I'm sure you know what I am talking about.
    Uhh, I dunno what you are talking about. If my E55 gets delivered on a friday afternoon, rest assured it'll be at Secret Street that night, breaking in the motor down the 1/4 mile strip. What's wrong with a car that does everything? Haul family around comfortably and still be able to run with Vipers down the drag strip?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Drag racing? Oh, I didn't exactly think of that as actual racing though. Lots of people there seem to drag race in all sorts of cars to the left and right, from stop lights and what else.

I imagine that it would be cheaper and more practical to have two cars, more specialized for their tasks. For that kind of money (how much will it cost anyway?) it's too much of a compromise. That type of engine is just blowing away fuel needlessly when driving normally, it will attract a ton of attention, theft and vandalism chances are probably very high, etc.

My Ride
    GTI

LOL, theft and vandalism chances are next to zero, at least where I live the more expensive cars get respect, people only vandalize cheap old cars. I have friends with old bimmers who've been keyed, but none of my friends with new bimmers or other nice cars or myself have been vandalized.

What is someone going to do with a stolen E55 AMG? Sell it for parts? Who's gonna buy them?

Secondly it's not wasted, it's bragging rights and prestige, I think it's time for you to get off your high horse saying that anything pleasureable has got to go, seems like to you if it's more than sufficient it's actually shit, c'mon man.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

LOL, theft and vandalism chances are next to zero, at least where I live the more expensive cars get respect, people only vandalize cheap old cars.
    Hahaha, what has the world come to, assaulting the old poor ladies of the neighborhood and letting the rich go by..

Secondly it's not wasted, it's bragging rights and prestige, I think it's time for you to get off your high horse saying that anything pleasureable has got to go, seems like to you if it's more than sufficient it's actually shit, c'mon man.
    I don't recognize bragging rights and prestige from material possessions. Either way, it's just my opinion, I think it is rude for you to tell me that my opinion is like sitting on a high horse.

I also personally think that one could probably get a lot more car related fun and utility (thus pleasure) from that kind of money, thus my general lack of love for these types of cars.

yakish Guest

Default Re: New E55 AMG

Originally posted by rage2
    Coming soon to my garage (in a few years)... 479hp, mid 12's 1/4 mile...

Cool car. I drove it twice it was amasing

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Drag racing? Oh, I didn't exactly think of that as actual racing though. Lots of people there seem to drag race in all sorts of cars to the left and right, from stop lights and what else.

I imagine that it would be cheaper and more practical to have two cars, more specialized for their tasks. For that kind of money (how much will it cost anyway?) it's too much of a compromise. That type of engine is just blowing away fuel needlessly when driving normally, it will attract a ton of attention, theft and vandalism chances are probably very high, etc.
    That was just an example Mikko, I will be road coursing the E55 as well in full street trim (street tires, etc). The car will cost about 75K us ($110k cdn), find me a car that will have this kind of power/performance for the same price (stock, with full warranty).

As for fuel economy, it sips the same amount of fuel as the E500, because the supercharger is disengaged via an electromagnetic clutch when you're easy on the pedal.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GTI

Hey, what can I say, I'm rude.

I always said, anyone who tells you you're rude is rude themselves, anyway, I agree, you have your opinion.

Bragging rights and prestige maybe isn't a good thing to say, I'm just trying to prove a point, wouldn't it still be considered utility though? Wouldn't this be a good car to drive your business associates around in who you want to impress??? There's lots of reasons to have a car like this.

Yakish, where/when did you get to drive this?

Ohh, and you also have to remember fuel isn't as big a deal here as it is in Sweden, I think gasoline is much more expensive there isn't it? Fuel economy here isn't such a big deal hence all the SUV's.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 02-05-2003 at 05:55 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I also personally think that one could probably get a lot more car related fun and utility (thus pleasure) from that kind of money, thus my general lack of love for these types of cars.
    Find me something comparable for a cheaper price. I'm looking for a car with real back seats, seats 5 comfortably, and have enough power to leave a huge ass grin on my face when I take the car to the track, drag strip or road course. Something that will pull as hard (if not harder) than my current collection of vehicles.

Go nuts.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Can I sit in the rear seat reading the paper, with music of my choice while you go around some road courses then? Should take advantage of the comfort&convinience parts at all times. Heheh..

The price was lower than I expected. How come the SL600 and others are so mad more expensive? E-Class..hmm maybe not as large as I thought either.

My Ride
    GTI

The 600 series has basically same engine but with more torque and usually has more interior goodies and is classier (interior) than the AMG, a bit less sporty on the interior and exterior.

I think the torque on the E55 is like 520 ft/pounds, while on the s600 I know it's more like 580 or something.

Ohh, and also SL55 is more expensive than the E55 because it's based on a different platform, the S class, so the interiors are quite different apart from obvious differences such as the convertable hardtop.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 02-05-2003 at 05:59 PM.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Wouldn't this be a good car to drive your business associates around in who you want to impress???
    Yes..blah, I hate to say it, but it can have value as a social tool. Though if you aren't into actual business where such a tool is part of your bread income, then why would people want to impress the more shallow ones? Who wants to be liked for their car anyway? That sort of thing.. I don't like it.

And come on, rage, with your funds, can't you keep the things seperate? I'm sure you could build a very very fun (more fun than the E55AMG) track car and have cash to spare for a very comfy road car with backseats and all.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And come on, rage, with your funds, can't you keep the things seperate? I'm sure you could build a very very fun (more fun than the E55AMG) track car and have cash to spare for a very comfy road car with backseats and all.
    That's why I still have the 944 turbo and the SLK 32 AMG. There's nothing wrong in being able to have a large family sedan that meets my practical needs but can also (out)run my other 2 cars.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

haha.. another one of mikko's arguments.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Ah here we go. I'm expecting the more rude members to arrive soon with their flamethrowers and napalm.. that always happens when you split a thread. At least you didn't name it "Mikko's" this time.

I posted once more in the original thread, didn't see this. Have fun puzzling it over

My main argument is that: A car like the one you want must be compromised in some way, and that splitting the desired characteristics into two should prove more successful (For when are they both needed at the same time? Probably never).

Btw I don't know much about this car, only the type of car in general.
    Last edited by Mikko; 02-05-2003 at 06:09 PM.

My Ride
    FA1

I don't recognize bragging rights and prestige from material possessions.
    If you had any material possessions maybe you'd think differently.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Originally posted by defekt1

If you had any material possessions maybe you'd think differently.
    I have material posessions. Are you suggesting that it is an inherent trait of all human beings to succumb to consumerism and marketing/media enforced image building? Measuring a person (at least a little) by the size of their wallet/posessions?

My Ride
    AI Servo

Originally posted by rage2

Find me something comparable for a cheaper price. I'm looking for a car with real back seats, seats 5 comfortably, and have enough power to leave a huge ass grin on my face when I take the car to the track, drag strip or road course. Something that will pull as hard (if not harder) than my current collection of vehicles.

Go nuts.
    You know and I know, the M5 may be old, but it still rox!! Unfortunately it falls short on the drag strip so there, for the E55.

For me, the only thing more appealing about the concept of a 5 seater that has 500hp. LOL. Is a 5 seater wagon with 500hp.

I'll take my E55 black on black please.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I'd take an Audi RS6
    450hp, Twin Turbo V8
    Quattro
    Tunability of a turbo engine...

My Ride
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II

M5 owners frequently have track days. The M5 weighs 4100 lbs., and is in the same class as the E55. No reason you can't take it to the track. Not a waste at all IMO.

These cars were bred for the Autobahn. Fast luxo-sedans, to get executives from point A to point B, in comfort, and in time. \

You know and I know, the M5 may be old, but it still rox!! Unfortunately it falls short on the drag strip so there
    Falls short on the strip my ass. If you know what you're doing with a stickshift, you can pull 13.00's all day from a stock M5. Remember, the M5 did hold the world record as the fastest production sedan for quite some time.
    2002 BMW M3 SMG-II TiSi/Blk
    Eisenmann 83mm Exhaust|Dinan Front Strut Bar|GC Coilovers|K&N Filters|Silvervision Signal Bulbs|Hamann Blackout Grill|Hamann Eyebrows|Hamann OE Brake Duct Covers|BMW Pedals|Alpine CVA-1005|Pioneer XM|iPod|PS2|MB Quartz Compnts.|Alpine Amps(2)|JL Audio 12" Subs(2)|Alpine PowerNav|Alpine 6 Disc Changer|Eibach Swaybars|18" SSR GT3's|Brembo Brake Kit 14"/12.9"|

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast