Quantcast
all season tire suggestions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: all season tire suggestions

Default all season tire suggestions

i'm looking to replace my tires since they're getting pretty worn, i'm looking for not so expensive all season tires. thanks

My Ride
    2014 Sierra, 87 cavi vert

what kind of car are htey going on? what's your driving style? city/highway? theres a bunch of factors like that to consider
    Speed Doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop at the end.

They are going on my Solara, it's my daily driver, mostly city.

Hopefully you're not looking to drive too much in winter because cheaping out on an all-season is going to give you some nice traction problems when the mercury dips into the -20s.

All seasons are bad enough in winter, but if I were you, I'd spend a little more on a good set of all seasons if you can't afford a summer set and a winter set.

My Ride
    '98 Maxima SE, '97 I30t

Sounds like you want some OEM replacements with good treadwear ratings. I would check out the following:

Yokohama Avid H4S/V4S
    Falken ST115
    BF Goodrich Traction TA

I've had the Avid V4's. They were OK. Good in wet, dry and snow. I am more for grip so I was disappointed when I was able to make them squeal without much effort. I probably wouldn't mind getting them again if I were looking for all-seasons but not at the price I paid for that first set.

SHIFT_

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I would also look into getting the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or LS-V tire. Excellent tire with great handling and comfort capabilities. It has a long treadware rating but it's a little pricey (runs you around 1000 for a set of 4 if i remember correctly).

For a really good inexpensive tire, I would reccomend Falken Ziex ZE 512's. I had them on my Prelude and they seemed to perform pretty good in the winter. I had no problems with them at all. Check out the reviews on:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch....ory=All+Season

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by EacydeLude
    For a really good inexpensive tire, I would reccomend Falken Ziex ZE 512's. I had them on my Prelude and they seemed to perform pretty good in the winter. I had no problems with them at all. Check out the reviews on:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch....ory=All+Season
    Uh, I have those tires as my SUMMERS. For winter they are absolute shit (and they should be, as an ultra High Perf All Season). Just better than nothing for those light 2 hour snows we get early sept/late may.

Look at Goodyear Assurance TripleTred or the Continental grand touring sets.

Khyron
    Last edited by Khyron; 09-07-2005 at 11:32 AM.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

thanks for the feedback, when i meant inexpensive tires, my budget is about $650- 700.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

Talk to CMSBOB he should be able to provide you with several options at very nice prices!

My Ride
    2002 Acura 1.7EL

A decent set of all seasons that I've found are the Nokian WR. Only Kal Tire carries the Nokian brand but I've heard good things about the tires. I run the Hakka Q's for the winter.

The problem with all season tires is that because of the rubber compounding necessary to keep from wearing out in a heartbeat in the summer, they do not stay soft when the temperatures close in on freezing, and they go hard like a hockey puck. When this happens, you lose all ice traction.

Most of us can get moving and drive around without a winter tire, but if you ever have to pull an emergency maneuver or brake quickly because some idiot cuts you off or something, and you are on an icy, hard pack road surface, you will just keep going.

If you absolutely will not go with a winter tire, you are going to want to find a tire that has the ability to shed as much water and slush away from the tread surace as possible, and having extra siping within the tread blocks will help this...

What tire size are you running? 205/60R16?

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Honestly I would suggest that you go to winter and summer tires.

If you wait for CMSs fall tire package sale you should get a pretty good deal on a set of winter tires with steelies, then I would suggest buying Falkan Ziex 512 tires for the summer.

Both sets are pretty inexpensive and very functional for their use!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by CMSbob
    The problem with all season tires is that because of the rubber compounding necessary to keep from wearing out in a heartbeat in the summer, they do not stay soft when the temperatures close in on freezing, and they go hard like a hockey puck. When this happens, you lose all ice traction.
    Just out of curiosity what are you guys recommending for winter tires this year? 205/55/15 I think.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Originally posted by Khyron

Just out of curiosity what are you guys recommending for winter tires this year? 205/55/15 I think.

Khyron
    I recommend tires differently for everyone based on their specific needs. Some people drive like granny in the winter, and they want the absolute maximum level of ice traction and don't care if the tire wears out quite quickly, while some people like to drive aggressively when the roads are clear, put on a lot of mileage, and they are willing to have a bit less hardcore ice traction to gain performance and a bit more longevity. Some people really have a small budget so finding the best tire for the amount of money they have is the priority... Etc, etc, etc...

If you want to send me some info of what you are needing, I can definitely help you with some options...

My Ride

Khyron

Originally posted by CMSbob
    I recommend tires differently for everyone based on their specific needs. Some people drive like granny in the winter, and they want the absolute maximum level of ice traction and don't care if the tire wears out quite quickly, while some people like to drive aggressively when the roads are clear, put on a lot of mileage, and they are willing to have a bit less hardcore ice traction to gain performance and a bit more longevity. Some people really have a small budget so finding the best tire for the amount of money they have is the priority... Etc, etc, etc...

If you want to send me some info of what you are needing, I can definitely help you with some options...
    All things considered I've heard good things about the Kumho KW-19's. Those are probably the ones I'll be going for this year.

CMSBOB, out of the three categories you listed above where do the KW-19's fit in?

Originally posted by hockeybronx

All things considered I've heard good things about the Kumho KW-19's. Those are probably the ones I'll be going for this year.

CMSBOB, out of the three categories you listed above where do the KW-19's fit in?
    The KW19's were very well liked last year. They are definitely a more aggressive snow tire with very good ice properties, but not quite to the extent of something like a blizzak which has the multi-cell compounding, but because of this, they will last longer than the most extreme of ice tires. They are not the tire for the guy who likes to performance drive on the dry though. For that you would want to look more at the KW17 in the Kumho line. These tires definitely fall into the resonably priced catagory as well, which makes them a great option for many people who don't have a to of money to spend on snows. Overall, they are a winter tire that covers a lot of different abilities decently. A good all around type snow tire...

My Ride
    2001 Honda Civic Si; 06 Mazda 3 GT

Uh, I have those tires as my SUMMERS. For winter they are absolute shit (and they should be, as an ultra High Perf All Season). Just better than nothing for those light 2 hour snows we get early sept/late may.

Look at Goodyear Assurance TripleTred or the Continental grand touring sets.

Khyron
    I'm running on TripleTreds right now ever since November and they've been great for me through snow, rain, or dry.

My Ride
    Malibu LS 2003

Originally posted by hockeybronx
    Honestly I would suggest that you go to winter and summer tires.

If you wait for CMSs fall tire package sale you should get a pretty good deal on a set of winter tires with steelies, then I would suggest buying Falkan Ziex 512 tires for the summer.

Both sets are pretty inexpensive and very functional for their use!
    What is CMSs?

My Ride

Originally posted by sansp

What is CMSs?
    CMS stands for Contemporary Motor Sports. They are a sponser here on Beyond and are well known for their insane deals.

Send a PM to CMSbob and he'll hook you up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast