Quantcast
Make Windows Media Player default - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Make Windows Media Player default

Default Make Windows Media Player default

i hate the new updates with a passion and prefer the simplicity of the 6.4 version.

I only got the newer version for the updates of the codecs but now ran into a problem. I got the files on my pc to run with the 6.4 version, but webpage embedded media files are still stuck on version 9. anyone know how to change this? or where to locate the version 9 exe file? would it work if i just copied my 6.4 version exe to the newer version?

also when i open a movie link from a website (wmv,mpg) now it downloads the whole file to my Temp directory then opens it rather than streaming or opening the the amount downloaded already

6.4 isn't exactly the best player to stream videos nor would it be good to act as an embedded player within a webpage. You should get Windows Media Player 10 as well.

WMVs and MPGs are always downloaded to a temporary folder when you "stream". I think it's .asx that truly stream files.

6.4 worked best for me over the 10 edition. it doesnt even play for me, i have to look through the source of the webpage and copy/paste the link into 6.4. as for the wmv/mpg before it didnt download it completely. it would open the mediaplayer immediately and play whatever video it has quickly downloaded rather then downloading the whole file

That is very strange... There could be some registry problems that prevented Media Player 10 from streaming. You could try uninstalling Media Player 9 altogether via Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components.

Oh, so you mean it used to play as it downloads? You might wanna check your network buffering settings via Tools -> Options -> Performance. If it's at default then try setting it to 5 seconds or less then see what happens.