Quantcast
buying a Colbolt - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: buying a Colbolt

My Ride
    cb7

No retention of value, no quality, nothing more than a headache/waste of money down the road. If you want a chevy, buy a truck. If you happen to have lots of money, great buy what you want, but either you drive this thing for the rest of its life (200,000 k) or you sell it for less than even a new gm is worth ( not a whole lot to me) and you have spent your money rather than invested it in somethin people will actually want to buy down the road.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Originally posted by Ramdawg
    Ur saying dodge sx 2.0 is no good?
    what was that oh you mean a Neon??

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

don't listen to all these domestic bashers they have a unique mindset that won't sway no matter what you tell them. In their world no imports ever have problems and all they want to do is for everyone to drive a fuckign civic. So buy what you like man and be unique and original don't let these people badmouth everything that is not made in japan, hell no import is made in japan they are all made right along side gm and whatnots. I am the one to stand for driving whatever you like, and most of these guys always think that an import is the way to go because when they have problems they always talk about it normally, as soon as a gm car shows a problem, its a pos.

Buy what you want, the cobalt is a great little car and can look hella pimp.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

So much mis-information. For the last few years GM has scored higher than all Japanes car makers with the exception of Honda & Toyota for reliability according to JD Power. We have had plenty of GM vehicles (company only provides domestics) from Gran Prix's to Chevy 4X4 trucks and very little problems with any of them considering how they are baggged by salesmen & service techs. Sure the interiors may not have that Japanese quality feel to them but mechanically they have been problem free. Resale is lower but what's a better deal for the average driver; a 1998 Sunfire with low mileage for $6000 or a 1989 Nissan 240 with 250000 kms for $6000. If you say the 240, you are an idiot and there is no use going any further with this.

My Ride
    S5 FC3S

i'd hit the 240 for 6 grand anyday,
    one its going to be in hella good condition
    2 have you ever driven a sunfire?? omg the nightmares

i dont know if this helps but im really good friends with someone that has a cobalt. anyways they love the car and bought extra warrentee with it which makes 7 years total.

Its not only the domestics, you have to be careful of anything, but especially the domestics.. I mean look at some late 90's sunfires, they're starting to rust to shit already, and unless they made a trip to the ocean and accidentally fell in few a few days, I don't see why they are this way.. But volk's lately have been comming up with more and more horror stories (where back in NS, I know of a bunch of older taxi jettas with 800k+) And then theres mazda, tons of bashing the proteges for trasmission issues. Nissans have the qr motor problems just getting worked out after several years of motors eating themselves.. And on and on.. Nothings a sure bet, I'd just be tempted to say domestics are a worse bet, from my experiences first hand with them.. And I'm a farm boy, I'm all for a solid domestic truck, instead of these "pretty" new trucks the imports are entering the market with. For a full sized, hard running, hard working truck, domestics for sure.. For a smaller truck, having the bed, 4x4, and a little sport - import trucks like old toyotas never let me or my buddies down, when s10's and shit were parked out behind buildings, forgotten about.. meh...

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Its not only the domestics, you have to be careful of anything, but especially the domestics.. I mean look at some late 90's sunfires, they're starting to rust to shit already, and unless they made a trip to the ocean and accidentally fell in few a few days, I don't see why they are this way..

93-94 sunbirds were some of the most reliable sunfires EVER. yeah they do rust, but i sold my old winter beater with close to 300000km on it and the engine didnt miss a beat!

any car will break down under abuse and neglect...if anything, imports maybe have a higher tollerance before snapping but still
    Last edited by rice_eater; 10-16-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Yeah I know the early 90's (sunbirds) are still on the go, You see them all over (wether you want to or not) but I'm talking like 96+ sunfires ... they shouldn't be falling apart with their ugly cousins still on the go, but what do I care, I'll never own one...

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

A Cobalt SS/SC owner chiming in here:

1. The SS is available in coupe or sedan, manual or automatic. Its 170hp VVT engine and doesn't have the same transmission or suspension as the SS/SC available. The SS/SC has a better suspension/transmission (Saab 9-3 transmission).

2. I got either the first or second SS/SC in the city, and here are my problems with it so far:

-Sunroof switch trim was broken when I took delivery, fell down about 10 minutes after driving away

-Paint sucks ass. You have to be so careful to avoid swirls

-Leather sucks ass. The bottom bolsters are wrinkling already. I'm going to warranty replace the seats for sure

-The rear deck now rattles a bit with some songs. (It comes with a 10" sub).

-The spoiler moves around a bit at speed especially if its windy, and you can't see shit behind you

-The pereli P zero's wear out FAST (expected though)

Thats all the little nit-picks I have for it. There have been no recalls so far. Mechanically its been great, the suspension impresses me to no end and I love throwing it into corners. I've owned one GM previously, and SO FAR this car is holding together much better.

Yup its cheap, and the reasons above are why its cheap. But for the 24,500 I spent, I didn't really see any other cars that excited me at all.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I forgot to add that as far as GM's go, I actually don't mind the interior.

For those that haven't seen it, here it is. I got black though, not red.

I can write with the experience of driving 2 cobalts so far (the incident of an unfortunate black ice crash)

My first was a 2005 cobalt 2 door LS (everything but leather)
    This car was an absolute piece of shit, the sunfoor at 80 kilometers/hour let off more noise then my brothers A4 1.8T did at 220km/h. The tire tread was almost obselete by 25-30 K, In the winter I had my accelerator converter, and ECM chip both crack (needed to be tower to GM) the clutch was shady around 35k, transmission was sticky (5 speed), and just in general wasn't built well, very little positive besides being able to get 550-600km out of tank...

I currenty drive the 2007 SS (non-SC model) 2 door coupe 5-speed. I'll admit that relative to the regular model this car is a vast improvement, it does rather well in races against most cars in same bracket, and puts up a good fight against the SC especially cause alot of people don't know how to drive their cars well. The upgrade in suspension/clutch/shifter/exhaust is not bad, but the brakes are pathetic, i've had them re-machined twice and i'm just about to hit 21k. A fellow classmate has the exact same model and he's run through 3 re-machines (which chevy doesn't cover after the first one) and is currently looking for custom brake kits to replace the POS ones, and he's around 26K. And as well the treads wear down even faster on these tires (pirelli vs michelin on the old.. fuck the what eh?) i'm not a person to burnout in my car (cause its a pos chevy) but i do like to cruise 180 on deerfoot alot, and that stuff just disappears off the tires. The interior is almost same as the old, cheap plastic clipped together GM parts, such a crappy make.

But as for the original question about finding a super charger for the SS model, please don't supercharge it, its still only a 2.4L inline... research any forums/online sites GET A TURBO, and also 4 door?? are you kidding me... you buy that for convenience not ricing it out. And as for the GM supercharger, its also not very good, try to talk through your warranty department where you bought the chevy and get a list of "acceptable tuners" who can work on your car, several people on cobalt forums have already bought turbos/fmic and few smalls needed parts and started at 240-250 FWHP oppose to the 210ish from SC, and the price difference for the upgrade is less then SC model costs, as for the gm upgrades on the SC, same thing.. ya it'll add some HP but you over pay because they build/install and keep your warranty, make sure your going to do some research before you do anything to your car.

IMO after crashing the first one, and seeings how much it depreciated, (lease bought price was 21,400 canadian, car was crashed after 19 months, assessed value was less then the 10,800 damage quote) which meant they tore my car up and I had to re-lease a new one. These cars are a large waste of money, and I feel sorry for anyone who bought one of the lot, leasing is the only way to go, and if you want a faster car, buy something nicer with the money difference? honestly, the cars are only fun for a little while

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

Way to bring up a 3 year old topic. Im sure buddy has allready bought and crashed that POS by now.
    Member since 2003.

haha ya, i know its an old thread, thought i would throw in my 2 cents on cobalts and how you SHOULDNT BUY THEM, fucking total waste of money, nothing makes me laugh harder when i see someone with cf hoods/custom expensive rims and other mods, mods don't keep there value well in general, but on a cobalt you might as well burn your money, and ya hopefully he crashed his and got a different one, cause when i crashed mine.. my dad just bought me a 07 SS because they said they would have it ready in under 24 hours (and he thinks the cars are perfectly all right) oh so wrong...

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

^Most GM rotors are shit. You don't need anything fancy, just buy some replacements from NAPA and they won't warp up as bad on you.

My Ride
    1995 Mustang GT

Some SS dont not come with a Supercharger just the
    body styling,

And its Cobalt!! =)

Also if it has warranty the only place you
    can get a supercharger added is GM themselves,
    or its voided warranty.

My Ride
    cars

Slow, Cheap, Poop

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Originally posted by phrozen
    Some SS dont not come with a Supercharger just the
    body styling,

And its Cobalt!! =)

Also if it has warranty the only place you
    can get a supercharger added is GM themselves,
    or its voided warranty.
    looks like you missed what everyone wrote and didn't see that 3 year old bump, let me guess you read the first post and hit reply right?

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

3 years ago, in a car forum far far away, there was an idiot... 3 years later, another idiot bumps the thread. now the idiots will rule the world.

just to clear some things up

LS/LT - 2.2 L - 140 hp
    SS - 2.4 L - 171 hp
    SS/SC - 2.0 L - 205 hp
    SS/TC - 2.0 L - 260 hp (coming out later this year)

Ive had my SS/SC since june 06 and my buddy has had the SS since march 06. Neither one of us have had any real significant problems.

Mechanically the thing runs sound and I've had 0 problems.

My gripes: the silver painted trim is slowly starting to peel away.

The leather on the drivers seat with the lumbar support rubs against he plastic and has a very annoying rubbing noise.

Compared to a honda, the shifter is fairly sluggish.

If you get the SS/SC... get the g85 package (with the lsd), my car didn't come with it and with 200+ tq to ONE front wheel, you'll pull to the right a great deal... especially in the snow, even with winter tires.

Overall, it's a fun car and you'll spank most other sport compacts out there for just being stock.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast