Quantcast
Oversea's imports laws to change? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Oversea's imports laws to change?

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Default Oversea's imports laws to change?

Just a heads up, its getting out that the Canadian gov't and Transport Canada are looking to change laws of importing cars from abroad to a 25 year restriction.

I found a thread on 780 Tuners regarding this, thought other people may want to be aware:

Here is a quote:

“ Transport Canada is currently reviewing the 15-year-old rule. The department is considering increasing this period to 25 years. This would ensure that most of not all of old vehicles are imported only by collectors and that such vehicles would only occasionally enter the everyday traffic”.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthre...threadid=31894

I hope this new restriction does not go into effect!
    Last edited by Deetz; 09-10-2005 at 08:02 PM.
    Honda/Acura guy

Hmmm, if that law goes through alot of companies will go bankrupt.

My Ride
    335i

Sweet, best idea evar.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    is an Experience.

Nooooo, now I'll never get my TVR

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Not just a couple years before the NSX, MKIV, GT-Four! that sux...but in a way its good that we wont have skylines on every corner, and the NSX and MKIV will still be unique cars.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

I think its great news too! Its about time someone put a stop to this crap. Im getting sick of seeing these pos on our streets and its annoying when we see threads like "i just bought a 1990 skyline with 60,000 km on it but my transmission is blown." People are so naive to believe that they are actually driving low km vehicles that just conveniently ended up in auction overseas. With any type of car and such low mileage, these cars should be nearly *mint*. But then again, they're 15 year old cars, right? LOL, i've seen 1990 honda accords in better condition than the "grade 3.5" skylines ppl bring. They're here cuz no one there wants em!

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Originally posted by Godfuader
    Not just a couple years before the NSX, MKIV, GT-Four!
    The NSX came out in 1990 in Japan.....its already 15 years old.
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    Lariat

that would be stupid, if anything they should change it to a 10 or 5 year rule, or even a 0 year rule
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

So what happens to the cars that have already been imported? Are they still clear to stay?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by DannyO
    Nooooo, now I'll never get my TVR
    I know what you mean.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I want my EK9 CTR...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Unicycle

i hope it dont take efect not till 2008 or 2009 so then i can still get my supra ... lol

My Ride
    1989 toyota beater: RIP hilux

Originally posted by FlySi
    I think its great news too! Its about time someone put a stop to this crap. Im getting sick of seeing these pos on our streets and its annoying when we see threads like "i just bought a 1990 skyline with 60,000 km on it but my transmission is blown." People are so naive to believe that they are actually driving low km vehicles that just conveniently ended up in auction overseas. With any type of car and such low mileage, these cars should be nearly *mint*. But then again, they're 15 year old cars, right? LOL, i've seen 1990 honda accords in better condition than the "grade 3.5" skylines ppl bring. They're here cuz no one there wants em!
    yeah but its alot cheaper to bring one over and fix a blown tranny then to build a syline powered 240.... not to mention JDM cars are virually rust free.... I imported a hilux surf and with all the little repairs i had to do it was still less expensive then buying one here plus less km and no rust whatsoever

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by RXsevenmonk
    yeah but its alot cheaper to bring one over and fix a blown tranny then to build a syline powered 240.... not to mention JDM cars are virually rust free.... I imported a hilux surf and with all the little repairs i had to do it was still less expensive then buying one here plus less km and no rust whatsoever

I can appreciate the rust aspect of importing...I mean most times the imported bodies are a LOT nicer than the bodies of the same gen of car here...

But I am interested to see, since importing REALLY took off this year, how well these cars will hold up after one or 2 winters with us in Calgary...After one or 2 seasons, will they really be better off??
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Ram

i want my fd

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

The reason this is changing is because there has been and increase in insurance fraud regarding import cars from japan.

In japan, if any car over ten years doesnt pass emmissions inspection, or is in an accident, it is written off.

you see so many imports that are like 50,000km and 15 yrs old because they sit in a junk yard waiting to be sold to some shmuck how will buy it for 2g can, then sell it for 10g.

when its written off or stolen, insurance pays blue book which is way more then its worth.

This is a huge problem in bc right now, and starting to be in alberta.

I doubt many of you jdm nuthuggers will believe me, but i work in the insurance industry and just giving you a heads up

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Dave P
    I doubt many of you jdm nuthuggers will believe me, but i work in the insurance industry and just giving you a heads up

I don't believe you...haha
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

about time they change that shit. Sick of all the RHDs on the street... (nothing against the people who bought them). But imo RHD should never be allow here.

I wonder... don't flame me for thinking this but this is what I've been tthinking fo lately.

RHD is kind of neat and should be allowed for non-daily driven, show/classic cars. It is way to dangerous to be driving daily around on streets ment for LHD vehicles. For example making blind left turns at lights, not such a good thing when traffic is moving and you cant see a car coming and just decide to jump out infront. There goes your car and there goes the insurance company paying someone else again.

Maybe I'm kind of biased, halfway through a LHD European BMW deal right now. But I think they should make restrict the rules a little more towards the RHD side of the crowd. Because if some theif sees a RHD Skyline, its the new hot item, so they will jack it, drive it, sell it for cheap, make their money, part out, whatever they will do. Where as if they saw say a LHD Integra or Civic *not the same class but they dont have LHD skyliens here in dealerships* its just another Integra or Civic in calgary, which are a dime a dozen, therefor less would be stolen and insurance wouldnt be paying out huge amounts if they restricted the RHD classification under the insurance policies.

If the insurance thing is true, that sucks because they shouldn't be paying out more then the car is worth just cause its from Jap compared to the same car here, if that is what is happening.

I just think a stricter set of rules should be thrown down for a car that stands out more and is harder to drive in a city not ment for that position of driving.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast