Quantcast
Attn: U of C Engineering Students - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Attn: U of C Engineering Students

My Ride
    Integra

Post Attn: U of C Engineering Students

I’ve just been accepted into the Faculty of Engineering for this coming Fall 2003. I just wanted to know how some of you guys found engineering and maybe if you have any comment’s for a newcomer. Buy the way I want to major in Electrical. Please leave some thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 04:52 AM.

My Ride
    2009 STi

Haha. Your in for a lot of fun.

It just gets harder and harder every year (everyone says its easy after 2nd, not true, at least for me).

Im in 4th Comp Engg. Ive seen what the electricals have to do, and its even more boring than mine. Id reconsider

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by kaput
    I wanted to do electrical until I started phys259... I don't want to go into electrical anymore.

Anything else?
    I actually have credit for PHYS 259, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Yes, I wanted to ask how difficult is first year chemistry compared to CHEM 30 in high school.

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by tulit
    Haha. Your in for a lot of fun.

It just gets harder and harder every year (everyone says its easy after 2nd, not true, at least for me).

Im in 4th Comp Engg. Ive seen what the electricals have to do, and its even more boring than mine. Id reconsider
    Thanks for the heads up.

Electrical as of now is my number one preference, it might change, and as time goes by we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 04:51 AM.

My Ride
    Integra

How the F did you get credit for phys 259? I'm getting raped sideways in that class, which kinda sounds like fun but no its not.
    I did the two-year Electrical Engineering Technology program at SAIT. That’s how I got PHYS credit already. We covered that material in one way or another.

So Chemistry isn’t that bad I take it. That’s good, I’ve always been a little intimidated by Chem.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Heh Engineering eh?
    Well I can tell you about my experiences this year.

Let's see first semester... my courses were chem 209, engg 205, engg 233, engg 251, amat 217, and math 221.

Let's see:

Chem 209, it's not too bad, like the stuff is like chem 20 and 30 combined, but they still introduce some new stuff to you. The quizzes are retardely easy, but the midterm and final was hard!! So don't underestimate the midterm or the final. Overall Okay course

Engg 205, this class was pretty hard, Statics/Dynamics. But I heard it was easier compared to last year cuz they had a seperate course for Statics and Dynamics. The midterm was pretty easy, but the final was a killer. Material seems pretty easy, like physics in high school but it's really hard, so yeah overall hard course.

Engg 233, C++ baby. WOO! All I gotta say for this is if you don't know how to program, find some friends who do and do some copying. I got a pretty bad prof too, can't really understand what she's saying. But you shouldn't copy too much cuz that'll screw you over for the midterm and final, and those were hard! Overall... hard.

Engg 251, haha this class was stupid but easy. It's a new design course that they started this year. They'll give you these stupid drawings that you have to do that's a waste of time. Final project I had to make a crash mat for the speed skaters and write a report about it. Kinda stupid but overall it's easy

Amat 217, if you did good in math 31 in high school you'll breeze through this course. It's like all derivatives. All the quizzes are open book, and the final and midterm are like the quizzes. But if you have Brudnyi for a prof, I suggest you get out of there, he's horrible! Overall kinda easy

Math 221, This class was ok, not too bad. Depends on your prof though, I had an easy prof, so my quizzes, midterm, and final were easy compared to everyone elses, overall, kinda easy.

Let's see now for the classes I'm taking right now, amat 219, engg 201, phys 259, econ 201, and engg 253

Amat 219, it's not too bad, just that it's all integration. And also depends on your prof. And again if you get brudnyi switch out of there, try to get into elsabrouty's class, cuz he's good

Engg 201, This class... well I dunno it's wierd. It's like a more advanced chem.. can't really say right now

Phys 259, Like Kaput said after taking this course you will not wanna go into electical engineering. Probably the hardest course in first year. You'll have to know some smart people to copy those assignments cuz those assignments are hard!

Econ 201, well for all first year you'll have to take a option and I chose Econ 201. This course is easy! GPA booster for sure. But don't really underestimate the tests, study off of old tests. I made that mistake and got a sweet 50% on the first test, which I'm still choked over. I know I know whoever is reading this probably thinks I'm a stupid idiot, but meh I'll just ace everthing else, heh.

Engg 253, continuation of engg 251, but not as stupid. They give you your final project near the beginning of the semester, which is a skating robot that is made out of lego. Heh it's kinda cool I guess.

Well so that's my life story about first year engg at the U of C. Let's see, my suggestions are just to work hard, know some smart friends that you can copy some assignments from, and get profs that can acually speak english.

My Ride
    Integra

Thanks V6-BoI. Wow, that was exactly what I needed a little brief on all the courses. Thanks again for the heads up. By the sounds of it, it’s going to be an adventure to say the least. I’ll take your advice and see if there are any prepping courses offered in the summer.

Question: Do you have to know C programming before you can do C++, or are they different languages altogather?

My Ride
    Integra

Can't say much about programming aside from don't copy ANYTHING or your screwed. Promise. You did 2 years at sait so you probably know some programming anyways.

Engg 251/253 is a waste of time but your guarenteed a B so just put up with it.

I'm also taking econ 201 as my option, but I guess I'm a lot smarter than V6-Boi cause I haven't even bought the textbook yet and I still got 88% on the first midterm. Oh and I didn't study either.

Thanks kaput for your input. It was very informative information.

I am a strong believer of not copying, rest assure I will give it my best shot. But you never gave you opinion of the C++ course.

So I take it ECON 201 seems to be a very popular option amongst 1st years. LOL

My Ride
    08 GSR

No problem rsxrsx, I don't want anyone else to struggle in engg like me, heh.
    Yeah I'm an idiot, can't believe I did so bad on that Econ test, it was pretty easy too, just thought we'd have more time to write it.

And for C++, they say you don't need any programming experience, but it does help alot. Like Kaput said get into Alves class, he's a good prof. He substituted for my prof one time, man he was so much better. I forgot what was the name of my prof, it was some French woman, I think her name was like Elizabeth or Ezebella or something.

Yeah kaput is also right about not copying. I should say that copy only if you are forced to, and not out of laziness. Try to do the assignment and if you don't get it, get some help, and if you still don't understand, then copy, then pray that you'll understand before midterms and finals come (That's what I'm doing right now for physics, and yes it's that hard).

HAHAHAHAHAHA...
    Better start stretchin out your asshole now :o

Shit man, nothings that bad. Granted I haven't taken anything at U of C, but I'm at Queen's in Mathematical Physics. I don't take notes, barely study, and I've got about an 80. Only thing is to go to your classes. Best way to study for math and phys tests is to go to a class room with 3 or 4 friends and work through a bunch of problems on the blackboard the night before the test. Works everytime.

My Ride
    08 GSR

I dunno I found first year pretty hard. It's probably the change from easy ass high school to first year U.

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by Ice
    Best way to study for math and phys tests is to go to a class room with 3 or 4 friends and work through a bunch of problems on the blackboard the night before the test. Works everytime.
    So true, I used this technique in my previous post secondary education. The best method of problem solving is working in-groups one mind isn’t as good as four.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by rsxrsx

So true, I used this technique in my previous post secondary education. The best method of problem solving is working in-groups one mind isn’t as good as four.
    Hmm, maybe I should try this out... might help my 30% in Physics II.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Hey Gpomp just a question that's not related to the topic.. how much money did you spend on Initial D?? Heh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast