Quantcast
Where to buy tools? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy tools?

Default Where to buy tools?

I would like to get some new tools and just wondering where's the best place to get them. I am looking for an alligator jack (2 ton), set of wrenches, and suspension/spring clamp. If you guys recommend some stores (other than SEARS and Canadian tire), please let me know.... thx

What's wrong with Canadian Tire? Most of their tools have lifetime warranty and they actually honour it. Not to mention that their tools are usually a good price in the first place.

Princess Auto, Auto Value, Part Source, NAPA - there's tons of other shops too.

^ Nope, there's nothing wrong with Canadian Tire. It's just I'm already aware they sell tools and I would like to know if there are other options/stores other than them....

will check the other stores you mentioned....thx

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

Canadian tire if you like opening up your butt and trying to fit a furnace in it ...

Princess Auto, Liquidation places and Pawn shops, you can buy 12 times the tools for the same price as you would've paid at CanTire, yes, oh noes you broke a ratchet or a socket ... you've got 11 more!

- Rasmus

My Ride
    TDI

Princess auto is fine if you're not going to be using your tools a lot... they are cheap for a reason. Not saying there's anything wrong with them it just realize that you're buying cheap tools. If you're going to be using them every day you'd probably want to spend more money. Most of my tools are from Canadian Tire or Princess Auto.

My Ride
    TDI

House of Tools used to have a decent auto section... I don't think it's there anymore tho.

Originally posted by Raz
    Canadian tire if you like opening up your butt and trying to fit a furnace in it ...

- Rasmus
    what?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1126648894505

These go on sale for $25 from time to time. You will not find a better set of wrenches at this price.

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Originally posted by megavolt
    Princess auto is fine if you're not going to be using your tools a lot... they are cheap for a reason.
    Hear, hear Princess does have a good selection and the prices are on the low end of the scale but so is quality compared to professional or even semi-professional tools. Use Princess for larger items like spring compressors, jack stands, etc but I would stay away from their hand tools. I have found Craftsman and Crappy Tire Pro Series stuff is decent for the $$.

My goal is to only ever buy each tool once and that isn't the way it is with el-cheapo tools

Rob

In Canadian tire, there's the "mastercraft maximum" for $90 and non-maximum (for lack of word to use) for $60. ...

ex: this tool is not one of those non-maximum but has lifetime warranty.... is it expected to be lower quality than the "maximum" set even though it has the same warranty? They have different material or something but I don't think it matters. Or is this one of those marketing gimmicks?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...=1126657399686
    Last edited by dmtx; 09-13-2005 at 08:02 PM.

My Ride
    335i

Princess auto is cheap but SO ARE THE TOOLS THERE!

Please do not cheap out - even a weekend mechanic needs a good set of tools. Cheaper tools strip bolts more due to slippage, break more often, do not operate as smoothly and are poorly engineered.

Mastercraft and Craftsman are both excellent, and you can get their ratchet sets for under $70 on sale.

The Maximum line is better quality than the regular line. Although they both have lifetime warranty, its annoying to have to claim it. Maximum tools are better built so they don't break as often, but most mechanics I know are satisfied with their regular sets.

Remember, all brands have lifetime warranty, but the point is not having to go back every time you do a job.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Please do not cheap out - even a weekend mechanic needs a good set of tools.
    I definitely agree... most of us just wanted to buy tools once.

I used to have some cheap tools and sold them when I moved to the new house... there were just some frustrating times using them. I will work on installing the lowering springs and can't wait to get the hands dirty again...

I'll keep my eyes open for those coming sales....

My Ride
    is Invisible

Default Re: Where to buy tools?

Originally posted by dmtx
    I would like to get some new tools and just wondering where's the best place to get them. I am looking for an alligator jack (2 ton), set of wrenches, and suspension/spring clamp. If you guys recommend some stores (other than SEARS and Canadian tire), please let me know.... thx
    i have a question why would u want tools if u have a g35? i hope it doesnt need repairing soon!

No repairs yet... I would like to change the suspension just to drop it a bit... some shops would do it for $300 which not that bad but I just like doing it myself... I used to do it with my old car so shouldn't be that much different....

My Ride
    EK9

Go to Ackalands Granger. They sell westward tools there which are pretty decent. Theres one near Blackfoot and one near deerfoot and 32 ave.

Westward is a good brand, thats were my shop gets all there tools.

But i picked up my spring compressors from house of tools and they are 100% better than anything i have looked at, ie crappy tire and the same

Originally posted by e_racer
    Go to Ackalands Granger. They sell westward tools there which are pretty decent. Theres one near Blackfoot and one near deerfoot and 32 ave.

Originally posted by spike98
    Westward is a good brand, thats were my shop gets all there tools.

But i picked up my spring compressors from house of tools and they are 100% better than anything i have looked at, ie crappy tire and the same

I checked acklandsgrainger.com and saw they are have Westward. Do they go on sale or some promos at this store??

My Ride
    Audi

if you're really into getting something at CT cheap, just ask for a manager and ask for last sale price. 90% of the time you'll get it (if there ever was a sale) or they'll tell you when it's going on sale next. Then you can ask for that price

Bumping an old thread for some stuff I bought today at Canadian Tire. "Maximum" is their new brand name for what was their "Professional" series that has a lifetime warranty.

Mastercraft Maximum 32-piece Wrench Set
    Regular price $150 marked down to $60

Mastercraft Maximum 109-piece Socket Set
    Regular price $200 marked down to $100

Mastercraft Maximum 7-piece Stubby Gear Wrench Set
    Regular price $80 marked down to $40

My Ride
    335i

The 153 piece regular Mastercraft socket set (includes almost everything you'd ever want) is only $70 right now, reg. 210.00
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast