Quantcast
Z-Engineering Supercharger System for VR6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Z-Engineering Supercharger System for VR6

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Thumbs up Z-Engineering Supercharger System for VR6

So... for the price (USD) you think it's worth it? No biased opinions here people: that's not what I need right now (in a slight trance over the prospect of buying a supercharger! LOL)

MK4 VR6-Jetta/GTI 98>02
    Stock HP: 176hp
    Supercharged HP: 270hp
    Cost: $4499 USD

Here's what I found @ their site:

No special tools or modifications required.
    Easily reversible.
    Fitting time 5 hours

The Z-Engineering supercharger system for the VW Mk4 VR6 12v has been designed with simplicity in mind. The tight parameters of this already very full engine bay made this kit a challenge for us. However our engineers created a design, which requires the least possible effort to fit.

Z-Engineering chose to mount the supercharger neatly in line with the alternator belt under the chassis leg. We have also been utilizing this design in our Alfa Romeo applications since 1998. The stock crank belt system is retained. The supercharger bracket is made from pocketed billet and is fitted onto factory tolerance mounting points together with an additional belt tensioner. The auxiliary water radiator is relocated with brackets supplied to the opposite corner on OE holes. The aux rad. is plumbed with specially manufactured OE style silicon hoses. A K&N induction filter is mounted behind a bumper vent and is ducted to the supercharger intake. Boost is routed from the supercharger under the main water radiator, over the gearbox and into the mass airflow sensor. Ducting is manufactured in a light gauge ceramic-coated steel tube with unique connections manufactured in silicon from Samco. Provision has been left for a stage II charge cooler system. Fuelling is controlled with a remapped software upgrade. Everything is provided in the kit. No modifications are required and the kit can be removed as easily as it is fitted.

The kit is setup to provide reliable and dependable power. However the power delivery is so smooth, it is difficult to keep within the speed limit. The stock engine delivers a good chunk of torque low in the rev range thanks to the new VW inlet manifold design, but lacks any top end thrust. The supercharger vastly enhances power, giving the car much needed mid range and top end grunt. Expected fitting time for this kit is 5 hours and removal is quicker.

This conversion would be the choice for the discerning enthusiast looking for extra horsepower but without tampering with the Volkswagen build quality and reliability.

Info:

• Power increased from 176 hp to 270 hp
    • Torque increased from 193 lbs/ft to 250 lbs/ft
    • CARB approval will be sought
    • Available from VW & Audi Z-Distributors
    • Product launched on 1 Feb 02
    • Supplied with replacement Z-Engineering pendulum mount
    • Supplied with latest GIAC software Ver. m10

Peace

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

That is actually one of the better engineered looking kits I've seen. My only concern would be their retuned ECU. I haven't heard of this company before (not that that means very much) so maybe they have a good reputation for that sort of thing but just something to watch out for.

Peter, we can't really answer your question of whether or not it is worth it. Its your car, so in the end no matter what everyone says, its your decision and its up to you to decide if its "worth it". With that said, GO FOR IT! More power never hurts!
    ---

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

I am really going to put some thought into this supercharger. I have searched and read many reviews/comments elaborating on what a detailed and well thought out supercharger this is!! Nothing but positive point: so far so good!!!

With all the modifications I am looking at doing to my engine, I am looking at WELL OVER 300HP with this kit!

I will keep you all in the "update" loop!

Peter Skingle

My Ride
    NC1

Yes the charger kit is expensive but after you get it installed and tuned, take the car for a spin, you will feel the adrenaline rush of 270hp and you will forget the fact that you spent the $4499USD.

You should have seen the look on my face when I first experience supercharger power! haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49