Quantcast
Last Civic Type R produced - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last Civic Type R produced

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Last Civic Type R produced

HONDA FINAL TYPE R ROLLS OFF THE LINE AT SWINDON

This week saw the last of Honda's legendary and hugely successful Civic Type R's coming off the Swindon production line, the last of more than 35,000 built there.

Civic models are built in more than 10 plants around the world. Type R however is unique to Honda of the UK Manufacturing where every single one has been made since 2001.

Type R set a trend for hot hatches, the first to hit 200PS (197bhp) and priced aggresively to shake up its sector. It topped the charts consistently from launch and was What Car? Hot Hatch Of The Year, three years running from 2002 to 2004, BBC Top Gear's Best Hot Hatch 2002 and Auto Express's Best Sporting Car 2003.

Powered by a rev-happy 2.0 DOHC engine developing a mighty 200PS at 7,400 rpm, the VTEC engine develops 100PS per litre, no turbocharger required.

With power transmitted through a 6-speed, close-ratio manual gearbox, the Type R achieved 0-62 in 6.8 seconds and a maximum velocity of 146 mph.

Over the last four years various improvements have been made including LED indicators mounted in the door mirrors and a lightened flywheel which helped reduce the 0-62 sprint by 0.2 seconds. The cult following the car has attracted since launch has meant that used Type R's retain 60% of their value after 3 years/ 36,000 miles, outperforming much of the competition.

Civic Type R has been a massive sales success for Honda - in total 35,190 have been made and sold, 18,033 in the UK, 12,422 in mainland Europe and 4,735 exported to Japan. A measure of Type R's success was the original UK sale forecast for 1,500 cars per annum: sales grew to over four times that amount and the car has remained a firm favourite with the Press and enthusiasts alike.

The last car, in Nighthawk Black, was produced for a UK customer who takes delivery next week.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

i want that cars seats, healights, bumpers, interior and engine.

If that was such a massive sales success, I wonder why they're pulling the plug.

NOOO!!!!! there goes a legend

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by 88CRX

i want that cars seats, healights, bumpers, interior and engine.
    lol.....your kinda almost there....
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

awesome run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad to see it go for sure.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

They're pulling the plug on this Type R so that the next one can begin development and, hopefully, production in 2008. The new Civic hatch (the one that looks like a freaking missle) is slated to be introduced in the 2006 or 2007 model year, with the Type R, Si, and Si-R coming out a year or two after that (or so the rumor mill goes)
    Geek

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Wow, thats a pretty decent run for sure. Too bad we never saw it on our shores. Is that a new 2006 civic I see in the background? the wheels sure look like it.

AWWW.. its so cute .. are those projector headlights?.. where can i get a set of those

My Ride
    XT6

Let's only hope a replacement will soon fill its shoes.

My Ride
    335i

How can you guys be so sad to see a car go that we've never had
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Weapon_R
    [B]How can you guys be so sad to

parts

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Let's only hope a replacement will soon fill its shoes.

hope so...

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Default Re: Last Civic Type R produced

Originally posted by benyl

Civic Type R has been a massive sales success for Honda - in total 35,190 have been made and sold, 18,033 in the UK, 12,422 in mainland Europe and 4,735 exported to Japan. A measure of Type R's success was the original UK sale forecast for 1,500 cars per annum: sales grew to over four times that amount and the car has remained a firm favourite with the Press and enthusiasts alike.
    Statements like this make one baffled as to why Honda doesn't bring cars like this to North America. The EP hatch was a flop here, but if they had the Civic Type R here it would have been a success imo.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Default Re: Re: Last Civic Type R produced

Originally posted by Seanith

Statements like this make one baffled as to why Honda doesn't bring cars like this to North America. The EP hatch was a flop here, but if they had the Civic Type R here it would have been a success imo.
    I bet it's because it would take away sales from the RSX-S.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

simple answer: Emissions.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Cars in NA are generally cheaper than Europe or Asia. While paying $30K for a Civic in Europe is a bargain, here it isn't.

The cost involved to bring in a niche product probably isn't worth it.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Default Re: Re: Re: Last Civic Type R produced

Originally posted by Xtrema

The cost involved to bring in a niche product probably isn't worth it.
    Wouldn't the SiR be considered a niche car? Yet they still offered it? Instead of a detuned version of the CTR, they should have worked on making the CTR compliant for N.A. Something tells me that Type Rs are going to make an appearance again in N.A.. i can feel it in my bones
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

compliancy is hard.

Look at the STi. In order to meet emissions at the same power levels, they had to increase the displacement to 2.5 L from the JDM/EDM 2.0L.

California has 30 Million people, basically the same population as Canada. It is one of the worlds largest car markets. CARB puts all the limits down. They probably could have brought the CTR into NA if they made it 49 state legal, instead of 50 state.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Re: Re: Re: Last Civic Type R produced

Originally posted by A2VR6

I bet it's because it would take away sales from the RSX-S.

its has nothing to do with emissions..... and everything to do with the fact that honda doesnt want to compete with itself.

ctr would take sales away from the rsx-s, plain and simple.... all the ctr is, is a ep3 with a rsx-s engine (emission wise)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast