Quantcast
Flashing to Pass - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Someone driving behind you flashes their lights...

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driver behind you has road rage, flashing is agressive behavior

65 24.07%
  • Driver behind you wants to pass, flashing is a polite gesture

112 41.48%
  • Driver wants me to pull over

32 11.85%
  • I have no idea why he/she is flashing their lights

61 22.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flashing to Pass

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

Heh, that is also pretty comon in europe, we call it the "wake up"

I don't mind that at all, as long as it gets me going faster and enjoying seeing a nice car accelerate quickly

- Rasmus

I'll only flash lights if there is some moron doing 80km/H in the 100km/H lane. If he is doing the limit or going faster than the limit, I'll make it my job to get around him without flashing lights.

Flashing my lights is not a polite gesture to move over - it's a GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY ASSHOLE gesture which I reserve explicitly for dumbfucks going slow in the left lane.

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    I'll only flash lights if there is some moron doing 80km/H in the 100km/H lane. If he is doing the limit or going faster than the limit, I'll make it my job to get around him without flashing lights.

Flashing my lights is not a polite gesture to move over - it's a GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY ASSHOLE gesture which I reserve explicitly for dumbfucks going slow in the left lane.
    yea in north america flashing of headlights is usually taken as a rude gesture to others, thats why i RARELY do it, however in other parts of the world its a polite way of saying move over, a lot more civil than a horn, or tail-gating
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    greenwheels.nl

Originally posted by 89coupe
    None of the above....LOL.

For one, I'm always driving above the posted speed. Two, this isn't fucking Europe. Three, go around me you dumb fuck...LOL
    europe this doesnt happen because people know how to drive, learn how to drive or get off the road

Originally posted by Rav4Guy
    ^ wow... you beat a carrera...... whoop-dee-doo mr. ricer
    he lives in new york, he doesnt know better
    Last edited by chris; 10-15-2005 at 12:59 AM.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Originally posted by Z_Fan

exactly... if the guy is already doing speed limit then you're the asshole in a rush so you should go around. at teh same time, we have a chronic problem in alberta of goodie goodie drivers trying to take traffic calming enforcement in their own hands and you see those dumb fucks in the fastest lane doing EXACTLY speed limit or 5-10km BELOW! this is the absolute dumbest shit ever. they're probably thinking, "you dirty assholes that like to speed i'll show you for not keeping my streets clean.. SPEED KILLS SPEED KILLS". no it doesnt... its the morrons like you making EVERYONE pass your on the right and switching lanes that lead to lots of close calls and even accidents. you can bitch about speeding not being safe but i will tell you to suck it because i got pulled over on highway 2, doing 115 in the fast lane for going too slow in the fast lane...let me repeat that... i was driving from edmonton to calgary, and just as i drive by the airport there in edmonton i go to pass a car so i'm in the leftest lane doing 120... i slow down a tad since i see a cop cruiser in the distance behind me. i didnt want to attract to much attention by slamming the breaks and moving out of the way so i just gently slow down. within the minute the cop car is behind me tailgaiting and i'm waiting to get a speeding ticket. as the guy starts his flashers, an srt10 viper goes by us at 130-140 i'm guessing, so for a second i'm hoping the cop will chase him and leave me alone...yeah right; he pulls me over and gives me a warning about going too slow in the fast lane. he tells me that if that viper going fast pr any other fast car had to swerve in and out of the lanes to pass people then they endanger everyone's lives exponentially versus him just driving fast. he told me that in his 10 years of patroling the highway, he hasnt seen one crash that was caused purely by speed. this makes sense so i started watching out for fast people coming up behind me, and try to move out of the way before they get close enough to flash me.
    Last edited by rice_eater; 10-15-2005 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    350Z

I normally turn my fog lights off and on a couple times rather then flash high beams if its at night otherwise I will flash them just to let someone know to move over.

Most people move over if they notice a car coming from behind and have a lane availible to their right anyway.

2003 Nissan 350Z Redline 6spd Nismo Springs and Shocks, 19" Volk GT-Cs, Nismo Brake Pads and EBC rotors.
    2005 Nissan Altima SER Black/Black 6spd Eibach Sportline Springs (SOLD)
    2003 Nissan Sentra Spec V (SOLD)
    Barrie Nissan Sales Rep

My Ride
    M5 Competition

We have posted speed limits for a reason. You wanna flash your lights, move to a Country that doesn't have posted speed limits.

Flashing your lights...LOL...fuck...lame.

My Ride
    V8 Toy

Just remember...

slower than the car behind you? MOVE! Sometimes I really want to get one of those electronic message that scroll and have it in the back window.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    2000 323i

It's safer to pass on the left period (unless you are in a RHD country, where cars drive on the left side of the road in which case it is vice versa) There isn't 3 lanes on roads because there's just that many cars....if everyone wanted to go the exact same speed, one lane would suffice really....but we don't all go the same speed. Even where there ARE speed limits, people go 85 in 100 zones....now, don't we all hate it when there's THREE of those people on deerfoot, so you can not pass? Now, if we had an enforced system, in which you drive in the right lane, and only use the left 2 lanes to pass? It would work wonderfully. Idiots driving 85 in the right lane, you're in the right lane approaching them going 100 (because we're all nice boys and girls that don't break the law) and you move to the centre lane to pass them. Then some speeder (not a member of beyond....we don't speed...) was behind you going 120, and you two moved into the centre lane at the same time, then he moves to the far left lane seeing what's happening.....then when you're done passing, everyone can move right. Is that...so....bloody...hard? If this were the case, those jerkoffs blocking 3 lanes going 20 under the limit, would be ticketed. And we ALL hate them. I know that. So before you say "we're not in Europe" explain to me, that even if it's not the law, would it not be nice if it were (or if people just did that of their own free will)?
    Mike

I've only flashed my highbeams at someone once on deerfoot. They were going about 85 in the far left lane. The funny thing is, the truck that was behind me swerved into the left shoulder and started flashing his lights too. The driver moved over to the right pretty quickly after that.
    ---

My Ride
    1993 Acura Integra GS-R

Semi truck drivers flashes thier lights to let the driver in front that their going to pass them. Although for car drivers, it's a courtesy to do the same. In other knowledge of this, it could be a signal to race, 1 flash, 2 flash, 3 RACE!!

Im gonna have to say warning other motorists about possible police speed traps. Like others sated if they are going the speed limit or over its my responsibility to get around them. if they are going under....I make my presence known.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    Im gonna have to say warning other motorists about possible police speed traps. Like others sated if they are going the speed limit or over its my responsibility to get around them. if they are going under....I make my presence known.
    Yep thats the only time I flash the lights. I am by no means perfect, and more than once someone else has saved my ass from a ticket by flashing the high beams. Its the least I can do if it'll help save someone else the grief as well. Drive safe

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride
    I like. :)

I don't think there's any need to flash your lights unless you're approaching a fucking idiot, then in that case a polite double tap is fine. I don't know about most ppl. but I use my mirrors including the rear view. If I see some one approach a noticeable rate while I'm in the passing lane, I'll move over no prob. If they tail-gate then I'll give them a hard time.

Before I resort to double-tapping is I'll peak around their left side and show them my left head light in their sideview, then I move back behind them so it doesn't seem like I'm hounding them. Most of the drivers around here are retards who don't have road manners.

Alright, I then kick into Spy Hunter mode and let loose the oil slicks and smoke screen...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2