Quantcast
ENGINE Light - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: ENGINE Light

Post ENGINE Light

Do anyone of you occasionally have your check engine light come on? but goes away after a restart? and comes back on after awhile.

could be a real engine problem or is it normal for modified cars?

My Ride
    335i

That's not normal.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

my cel in the shitbox comes on if it idles for a while on first start up but then goes away after i start to drive it. I'm thinking it could be O2 sensor or EGR related but i just don't care either way. The cel can mean anything tho, and unless you can pull the code yourself your gonna have to take it in to find out what it is. I would get that checked out pretty quick tho, especially if it comes back on during normal driving.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

If your check engine light comes on, your computer will store a trouble code in memory, the simple, and cheap way to find out what went wrong is to take the car to a place that selles parts, and have them pull the code and tell you whats wrong,

most mechanics have this scanner, but they will charge you $65 just to hook it up to your car,

Take your car to autovalue, and have them pull the code, it wont cost you anything, and they can tell you how much the part is too,
    "Being the backup goalie is like going to the prom with your sister... you can score.. but its on your own team"

Modern engine lights come on usually for emmision things.

Mine will come on if the gas cap isn't tight because tank pressure is low. Tighten it up and it'll go away after a restart

it will still be stored in the computer log, sometimes you will need to have the codes purged to make the light go away, and getting it checked for free will give you the relief of knowing what happened, and not guessing, either way, wont hurt,
    "Being the backup goalie is like going to the prom with your sister... you can score.. but its on your own team"

My Ride
    the ladies CrAzY

I had the same problem a couple of times before. More than likely it's your O2 or Throttle position Sensor (TPS)

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by EternalRage
    If your check engine light comes on, your computer will store a trouble code in memory, the simple, and cheap way to find out what went wrong is to take the car to a place that selles parts, and have them pull the code and tell you whats wrong,

most mechanics have this scanner, but they will charge you $65 just to hook it up to your car,

Take your car to autovalue, and have them pull the code, it wont cost you anything, and they can tell you how much the part is too,
    Honda systems don't need a scanner, theres a jumper you connect that will make the CEL flash the code to you. There is a long series of flashes and then short ones, like: flaaaaaaash-flaaaaaaash-flash-flash-flash would be a 23..
    My Prelude has the 'jumper' service connector just behind the console on the drivers side.

go here:
    http://www.batauto.com/honda/
    That page has some good info on the CEL (check engine light) for our Hondas.
    Last edited by kevie88; 02-13-2003 at 04:01 PM.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Smartiepants
    Modern engine lights come on usually for emmision things.

Mine will come on if the gas cap isn't tight because tank pressure is low. Tighten it up and it'll go away after a restart
    well they also come on for different reasons, like dead sensors, your igniton system, fuel system....just about everything

My Ride
    93 Taurus SHO

Not sure if this will work but it did for me. I have a 93 Taurus SHO and my light kept coming on. I checked all the cheap things first and what it happened to be was that the element in my air sensor was bunged up. It's not a bad thing to clean it every once and a while. I just took my air tube apart and sprayed carb clean on the element. The car even ran a bit smoother after. I have no clue if this will work but maybe give it a try.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

the CEL will come on, in a friends grand am if the gas cap isnt screwed on all the way...

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Default Re: ENGINE Light

Originally posted by Sky
    Do anyone of you occasionally have your check engine light come on? but goes away after a restart? and comes back on after awhile.

could be a real engine problem or is it normal for modified cars?
    Depends on what has been modified. Most of the tiime with the CEL the ECU will run in limp mode. Look up the Honda Engine Check codes but keep in mind it is only an effect it may not be the casue (but it's a good start).

Mine comes on sometimes becasue there is no voltage drop in the downstream 02 sensor for a prolong time . Before folks comment - my factory ECU is codded different

Hence, CEL racing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

a guy i know drives a lumina, when he takes it past about 3000 rpm it goes on for about 30 min

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

argh. Just find out what the code is and I'll tell you what's wrong!
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Mercedes C230 Kompressor

I dont know what kind of car you drive, but for my Mercedes the gas cap is pressure sensitive so if you dont screw it on tight enough or vice versa, the air fuel ratio is off and causes the check engine light to come on. Nothing serious, as it has happened to be before, I just fixed the problem by correcting the gas cap to fit properly and restarted engine. light gone.

hope this helps
    1999 Brilliant Silver C230 Kompressor
    K&N Air Filter
    OEM Mercedes Clear Corners (Bosch)
    OEM Mercedes All-Season Rubber Floormats
    OEM Mercedes Avantgarde Grill

My Ride
    Mercedes C230 Kompressor

check engine light could be a number of problems though... maybe you used gas with the wrong octane, or there might be moisture in your gas tank, or bad o2 sensor, or bad air mass meter, or maybe egr valve is clogged, I could go on and on.
    1999 Brilliant Silver C230 Kompressor
    K&N Air Filter
    OEM Mercedes Clear Corners (Bosch)
    OEM Mercedes All-Season Rubber Floormats
    OEM Mercedes Avantgarde Grill

I found out the code its : 43 Fuel Supply System Faliure

is this serious?

Originally posted by Sky
    I found out the code its : 43 Fuel Supply System Faliure

is this serious?

yeah it is because it could result in a lean condition which is bad.
    if you want to test it yoursellf you're going to have to get a fuel pressure gauge and test the fuel pressure and see what it's at and compare to what it should be.

it could be as simple as your fuel pressure regulator is shot, pretty common, maybe your fuel filter is clogged or the pump is failing. or it coud be injectors or the computer...