Quantcast
starting a stock portfolio - where? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: starting a stock portfolio - where?

Default starting a stock portfolio - where?

I am looking to put $$$ into some stocks and would like to start a couple of trading accounts. [1 personal and 1 corporation]
    I am not really interested in mutual funds at this time. Mostly something where I can buy some indexes and general stocks. Which bank or brokerage do you guys use or recommend? I was contemplating BMO investoronline(since i already have an account with them) or ETrade?!? ATB? (corp account with them) Waterhouse? I am not likely going to make many trades that often - more buying and holding / selling once in a while i guess. I think BMO was going to charge me $27 per trade minimum. Which places charge lower fees? And how secure are those online discount brokerages?

Any opinions on the process of starting one that will be using a corporation's money for investing? Thanks all.

These accounts are mostly for investing long term and not for short term trading.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

I used BMO...pretty good service.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

I wish I had money to throw at things like 'investments'

I've also heard good things about BMO, but thoroughly good things about ATB.

- Rasmus

My dad uses Waterhouse for person, business, my and my brothers and loves it. Yah service fees suck but if you know whta your doing and invest in the right company, its worth it.

If you want to know anything about waterhouse PM me, I'll gladly share info with you if I can find it

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I use CIBC for mine. It's $25 for each online trade I make so it's not too bad. I don't play with it too too much just cause I'm expecting the ones I have to go up a little more in the next couple of weeks.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I use TD Waterhouse... it may be a little higher on the per-trade commission, but it is SO easy to use and gives you instant, real time information very quickly. What I mean by this is that it runs right off the market, not a "15 minute delay" system. It updates as soon as a trade happens to the stock you're watching and you press "refresh" on the quotes screen
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 10-11-2005 at 01:53 AM.
    Geek

My Ride
    MB C63

yah td waterhouse is what i use
    fees are $30 a trade i believe but you cant avoid those with any bank

its super easy to use and as Vagabond142 said it gives you instant real time information which is good for checking stocks anytime of the day

its also a good idea to go with the bank that you have an account with...so its easier to transfer money to and from your investing account

thanks for all the pointers guys. i think i might go with Q-Trade (ATB) since both my corporate accounts are there. i am shying away from Etrade and TD based on numerous negative reviews I dug up on trading forums --bad service, orders placed wrong,delayed,not done, hidden fees, etc etc. (but i think all these guys were from the states though) ...ah well, i just want to get started!

Just to let you know... TD Waterhouse is DIY. Means that bad service? Well you can blame that on yourself, orders placed wrong, that urself too, delayed, well it could be computers but its probably you, not done, that'd be you too. If there was a shitload of hidden fees my dad wouldn't be using them for the amount of money he has put into them.

Its your choice but from what I have experienced, my family has, and people we know have, you can't go wrong with TD

If you have enough cash in the account with any bank, they will waive the yearly fees, you will only pay the broker fee per transaction.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true