Quantcast
Looking at a 2006 Jetta TDI - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a 2006 Jetta TDI

Default Looking at a 2006 Jetta TDI

My wife and I are considering picking up a new 06 Jetta TDI and I have a few questions considering it will be my first new car and my first newer VW.

- Which dealership should I go to in the city? I've heard good things about Fifth Ave and bad things about Northland and Southcenter Fine Cars. Should I just stick with Fifth Ave? Is there anywhere out of the city I should consider?

- How much should I be able to bargain down the price? I understand that its a new generation Jetta and that they havent been on the market for long; but I feel that I still shouldnt pay the sticker price.

- Does anyone recommend a specific sales person? How did the sale(s) go with that person and were you able to swing a favourable deal?

- Anyone have any details on leasing a VW? What rate do they usually give and what percentage of residual do they usually leave you with?

- I understand a number of people have had service issues in the past. How bad is it really? Especially when the vehicle is still under warranty (off warranty work will be done by Concept 1).

Anyone have any other advice that I might find useful? Any information from people that actually work for a VW dealership would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by sputnik; 10-11-2005 at 08:01 AM.

My Ride
    V167

might want to post on newveedub.com, there are a couple sales men on the board who will be able to help you out

Default New Jetta

How about don't. New VW's have a terrible reputation for reliabilty over the long haul. See the link for a recent article about someone who has experience trying to fix them.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...281.A9081.html

My Ride
    335i

VW consistently ranks below GM, Chrysler, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, and most other manufacturers in terms of reliability. They really *are* that bad, but they are beautiful cars so people live with it.

http://www.jdpower.com/pdf/2005089.pdf
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I can see this thread turning ugly. The overall concensus is that they are less reliable overall than other manufacturers' products. However if you're set on one the only advise I have is to be wary of NL. Lots of friends at work have horror stories about service there.

On a related note, were you thinking of getting the wagon? I notice the wagon is still the old style for 06, anyone know when the new jetta will be coming out in wagon form?
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

If anyone else is interested. Here is the dealer invoice costs for the 2006 Jetta TDI

Code:
    Volkswagen
    2006 Jetta 1.9L TDI Sedan

Vehicle Pricing 	
    Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price ........... $26,650
    Dealer Invoice Cost ............................. $24,225
    Dealer Mark-up .................................. $2,425

Optional Equipment Pricing 	

MSRP   Dealer Cost
    electronic stabilization program (1AT)* ......... $450      $382

transmission - six speed automatic tiptronic .... $1400     $1355

luxury leather package - incl. luxury package PAW, 
           plus leather seating surfaces, leather 
           wrapped wheel, shift knob, handbrake grip, 
           rear center armrest w/passthrough (PLE) .. $3300     $2800

luxury package - includes 16 inch alloy wheels, 
           power sunroof and chrome exterior 
           trim (PAW) ............................... $2075     $1761

premium luxury leather package - incl. package 
            PLE, plus multi function leather wrapped 
            steering wheel, homelink, pwr driver seat 
            w/memory, manual rear sunshade, trip 
            computer/compass, premium stereo 
            w/in-dash 6-disc CD changer (PPQ)* ...... $5125     $4349

side curtain protection (4X3) ................... $250      $212

air tax ......................................... $100       $100

freight ......................................... $1395      $1395

My Ride
    V167

Mainly all the crap that goes wrong is little shit (IE MAF etc)

2001 TDI 158k - oil changes every 16k, 1 bad MAF... thats it

2000 TDI 140k - same oil changes, 1 bad maf, window regulator

Go to www.tdiclub.com

theres people with over 300k miles on there tdi's already.....

the bad service/reliability may be worth the gas milage

Not a good idea to buy the first model year of a new generation, regardless of the manufacturer.

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by T5_X
    On a related note, were you thinking of getting the wagon? I notice the wagon is still the old style for 06, anyone know when the new jetta will be coming out in wagon form?
    They're not making a new wagon .
    I want an MK4 wagon soooooooooo bad.

My Ride
    pedals

our 04 tdi wagon is having minor issues. there is a coolant leak that cant be sourced, and there is a bunch of oil on the joint of the charge pipe to the hotside of the intercooler. quite minor i think. we are off warrenty now though (over 80 000) so well see how it goes from here

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=99979

Here's a thread where I talked about a bad experience with my Jetta at Southcentre Fine Cars. HOWEVER, after my dad spent two weeks talking back and forth with the manager I was refunded my money and finally satisfied.

They wouldn't let me talk to the manager. Also good luck any time you have to deal with the 1-800 number for VW customer service. I talked to three different people there and have come to the conclusion that they are absolutely useless.

The basic trade-off that you are getting is:

The bad:
    - unpredictable quality of customer service
    - extremely high service, parts, and labor costs
    - a shoddy maintenance schedule that nobody really knows what's going on with
    - a customer service system full of closed doors and dishonest customer service reps
    - a "good will" reimbursement system that gives some customers free repairs and parts and not others
    - a dealership customer service staff that refers you to the 1-800 number for all problems
    - a 1-800 number that refers you to the dealership for all problems
    - a 1-800 number where the staff there are completely useless

The good:
    - fuel econmy
    - engine life
    - an owner at Southcentre Fine Cars who finally honored my dads business after my dad spent two weeks trading phone calls with him and wrapped up a deal on buying another VW
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Talk to ed robertson at 5th Ave, there is quite a wait for one and $500 under MSRP is about allyou'll get off. If he isn't there talk to cory herle, the sales manager.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Yep, $500 under MSRP is doing really well.

I just bought an 05 golf from fifth ave 2 weeks and 1 day ago, I have only put 1500km on it so far, but there have been absolutely no issues at all so far. Very impressed with the staff there, quick delivery time, and everything went really smoothly, until the very end, when I saw a little display on somebody's desk, and realized that the car doesn't come undercoated. That's the only thing that has been a problem so far. That kind of pissed me off.

It goes in for a block heater on friday, so I guess that will be the first service, hopefully it goes well too.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Originally posted by hockeybronx
    The bad:
    - unpredictable quality of customer service
    - extremely high service, parts, and labor costs
    - a shoddy maintenance schedule that nobody really knows what's going on with
    - a customer service system full of closed doors and dishonest customer service reps
    - a "good will" reimbursement system that gives some customers free repairs and parts and not others
    - a dealership customer service staff that refers you to the 1-800 number for all problems
    - a 1-800 number that refers you to the dealership for all problems
    - a 1-800 number where the staff there are completely useless
    Are all 9 of these bullet points from your "broken window clips" experience?

My Ride
    NC1

This the best car in the sub $30K segment. I absolutely love the new look of the Jetta, sexy european styling alone makes me want to buy this car instead of the Camry or Accord, those are just boring to look at.

There are going to be quality issues with every manufacturer and service problems with every dealer. Maybe it's just me, I don't worry too much about those things, especially when the car is under warranty.

PM Ben, his dad works at Fifth Ave Auto, very nice guy to deal with.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Originally posted by sputnik

Are all 9 of these bullet points from your "broken window clips" experience?
    5 of them from the broken window clip, 2 from a $700.00 bill where all they did was flush things on my car after I changed my own oil and changed my own spark plugs to try and keep costs down, 1 from the amount of "super good" and "super bad" service stories you hear about on forms like this, vortex, and newveedub, and 1 after finding a new passion for "do it yourself" jobs, or when you have Volkswagen employees telling you other shops that will do the same job but for up to 50% less money.

There were only 8 points not 9.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by max_boost
    This the best car in the sub $30K segment. I absolutely love the new look of the Jetta, sexy european styling alone makes me want to buy this car instead of the Camry or Accord, those are just boring to look at.

There are going to be quality issues with every manufacturer and service problems with every dealer. Maybe it's just me, I don't worry too much about those things, especially when the car is under warranty.

PM Ben, his dad works at Fifth Ave Auto, very nice guy to deal with.
    We are actually looking at getting an Accord coupe instead. The wait time for the TDIs are 4-5 months and we dont really have that much time (as all of our cars are on borrowed time) and the lease terms from Honda keep our payment more manageable (necessary with my wife still in school this year). The sales people were actually willing to aggressively price an 06 out for us that is pretty close to invoice, whereas the Jetta we would be stuck paying full MSRP.

I really dont mind the Accord EX coupes and their looks are growing on me. The 06's come fairly loaded (leather, moonroof, heated and backlit everything) and the 4cyl iVTEC has some pretty good gas mileage. That on top of Hondas rather bulletproof service and reliability ratings make it a bit more appealing at this time for Stacey and I. Originally we were looking for an 05 Civic LX coupe but they apparently were gone by the middle of Sept due to a 1.9% financing deal. Its a shame that Honda decided to completely destroy the interior and exterior stylings for the 06 Civics.

Dont get me wrong. I still think the 06 Jetta TDIs are kick ass cars. Unfortunately we probably wont get one until 07/08 once my wife is out of school and working. Hopefully by then I will be able to get a 6spd standard 4motion Jetta TDI wagon by then.

Originally posted by hockeybronx

5 of them from the broken window clip, 2 from a $700.00 bill where all they did was flush things on my car after I changed my own oil and changed my own spark plugs to try and keep costs down, 1 from the amount of "super good" and "super bad" service stories you hear about on forms like this, vortex, and newveedub, and 1 after finding a new passion for "do it yourself" jobs, or when you have Volkswagen employees telling you other shops that will do the same job but for up to 50% less money.

There were only 8 points not 9.
    How did changing your own oil and sparkplugs turn into a $700 bill? Clearly there must be more to this story.

Personally I would never take an off-warranty car to a dealership for work. There is a reason that there are several far cheaper and more capable independant VW shops here in town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast