Quantcast
pros n cons of suspension - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pros n cons of suspension

My Ride
    93' S-13

Default pros n cons of suspension

I have a 93' s-13 and need to know the pros and cons when compairing a spring and strut setup vs. complete coilover set up. and how does the cold temp of Calgary affect each?

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Well first off...you don't wanna install new shocks right before the winter...so hopefully this is a springtime project for you.

Secondly, there are no real pro's or con's to either set-up. It will depend mostly on your budget.

The coilovers are great in the aspect that if you winter drive your whip, you can jack it up to stock height for the snowfall, and then in the spring dump it for dorifto action. Anytime you make ride height adjustments though you will require an alignment. I have coilovers as do a lot of beyonders and all of us set our height and then get our alignments and never touch them again. For two reasons, one it's a bitch to do so, and secondly you will, like I mentioned before need an alignment.

The spring shock combo, its lowered, and then that's it. If you want stock ride height you keep your old shizznit and then replace in the winter.

In both set-ups you can get adjustable shocks, fir a lil more of a custom ride set-up...but meh, it's all you.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

Not all coilovers go back to stock height. My coilovers on the highest setting is still a 1.5" drop over stock.

My Ride
    a wrx.

A well sorted spring+shock combo will give you the same level of performance as any coilover setup. However, the height adjustability is nice. I raised my car an inch last weekend for winter. As always, stay away from the cheap shit.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    As always, stay away from the cheap shit.
    Very true, you basically get what you pay for.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Also stay away from cheap coilovers....some of the entry level coilovers are turning out to be garbage. Youre almost better going for a good spring/shock combo if youre on a budget.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Don't forget to consider upgrading the sway bars too.

My Ride
    93' S-13

thanks for the info guys. by the way... anyone have any feed back on D2 coils? I think these r the one im going to pick up.. what would be a good spring strut combo for my s13?
    don't the struts blow out afther so long?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by MJs-13
    thanks for the info guys. by the way... anyone have any feed back on D2 coils? I think these r the one im going to pick up.. what would be a good spring strut combo for my s13?
    What goals do you have in mind?

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

what about in terms of driving the car hard or on the track? coilovers offer more adjustability and usually come with stiffer spring rates but is that better at all? do you still sacrifice ride quality for that? anything more technical than "dont buy cheap stuff" and "coil-overs you can adjust up down"??

Originally posted by rice_eater
    what about in terms of driving the car hard or on the track? coilovers offer more adjustability and usually come with stiffer spring rates but is that better at all? do you still sacrifice ride quality for that? anything more technical than "dont buy cheap stuff" and "coil-overs you can adjust up down"??
    Some coilovers have adjustable dampening rates and lifetime warranty. Bilstein PSS-9 coilovers, for example.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=GM5-8611-HO

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The D2 coils are not very good. I had a look at one that had been dynoed and there is hardly any difference in dampening adjustabilities between the soft and hard settings. It has 36 way adjustable but theyre almost all the same so thats useless. They offer poor low speed dampening and the springs they come with are too stiff for the dampers...they look cool though
    The more I learnt about coilovers, the more I realized that you have to pay to play. Some of the more popular coilovers for your car are the D-drugs, the silk roads, and Ive even heard good things about the megan racings which are very well priced.

BTW struts and coilovers both blow after prolonged use.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by rice_eater
    A wide variety of spring rates can be found whether with coilovers or with independent springs. The ONLY difference is that coilovers give you ride height adjustability. That's it.

My Ride
    93' S-13

I'm lookin for a nice, smooth as i can get ride with the car being low...Right now i have a killer lookin stance ( rubber lines up with the wheel wells..maybe 3inch drop) useing intrax springs and Kyb struts, but the struts r done so I feel every bump on the road.
    I always thought coils where better. Im tryin to budget myself to $800.00 for the set up. I would like to keep the ride higth i have now but i need it to be a smoother ride..its rought.. Im just not sure what to do with this..

[B]Im tryin to budget myself to $800.00 for the set up./B]
    Then you probably dont have to worry about coilovers.

My Ride
    a wrx.

I'm lookin for a nice, smooth as i can get ride with the car being low...Right now i have a killer lookin stance ( rubber lines up with the wheel wells..maybe 3inch drop) useing intrax springs and Kyb struts, but the struts r done so I feel every bump on the road.
    I always thought coils where better. Im tryin to budget myself to $800.00 for the set up. I would like to keep the ride higth i have now but i need it to be a smoother ride..its rought.. Im just not sure what to do with this..
    Wow, that's quite the drop. The thing is since you are so low, regular length shocks won't cut it for you, they'll just keep blowing because they're always sitting at full compression. You need to look for shorter shocks that are also short stroke. Do a search for short stroke shocks for your car. Then you'll have an awesome setup.

My Ride
    93' S-13

I'll check them out 4sure..Whats the deal with coilover sleeves?..wouldnt that make the strut setup just like a coilover?

My Ride
    a wrx.

I'll check them out 4sure..Whats the deal with coilover sleeves?..wouldnt that make the strut setup just like a coilover?
    Yes, but unless you want the ride adjustability, which you never mentioned wanting, why bother?

$800 can get you:

a. good short stroke shocks to go with your springs, and therefore an awesome ride

b. shitty coilovers that will ride like ass.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

JDMsource might have used coilovers for sale...try them...a friend bought some used HKS coilovers and they work awesome and for cheap too
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

A wide variety of spring rates can be found whether with coilovers or with independent springs. The ONLY difference is that coilovers give you ride height adjustability. That's it.
    thanks yo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast