Quantcast
Did they have the right to fire me?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did they have the right to fire me??

My Ride
    95 AC INTEG 90 crx si

Default Did they have the right to fire me??

Okay this is the situation. I used to work at bestbuy. Last christmas i had moved out do to family issues and i was living with my cuzin. She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house. I lived there for about 6 months and then i moved back in with my parents before i left for india. Couple days after i left something went wrong with the tv. I told them that they could go in and tell them what happend and they should replace it cause i had bought the warrenty. They fixed the tv but when they brought it back it had a scratch on it. So my cuzin went in and talked to my manager and said they wanted a new tv. While they were dealing with that my cuzin said that she had bought the tv from me which she didnt. I still own the tv. Anyways to make a long story short they fired me because they believe i gave them the tv for rent money. and i guess this goes against employee staff purchaces. I was goin to go pick up the tv sooner or later but i didnt get around to it. Anyways can i fight this some how or cam i hooped?????

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Tell them that your cousin was severely mistaken, and that you hadn't been able to pick up that T.V. at that time. Tell your manager that the reason they fired you is under false information.

If they still talk BS, inform an attorny and let them know that wrongful dismissal is very serious.

In the end as long as the receipt is in your name they can’t prove otherwise. Take en to court you’ll come out with the back pay. Who are we kidding though, you bought them the TV. It sounds like you broke the rules and got caught. Everyone does it, sounds like they made an example out of you hoping you wouldn’t peruse it.

My Ride
    95 AC INTEG 90 crx si

thanks guys. Cause my mom and my friends are all sayin that i should take it to court or talk to the labour boards.

also when they fired me, my two managers took me to the room and when i explained everything to them they tried to twist my words. at the end of the conversation they said they have to wait for a text message from the General manager to see if he wants to let me go and he wasnt even there to hear me out.
    Last edited by LudeRoca; 10-13-2005 at 07:11 PM.

She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house.

Giving and employee purchased item for partial payment will get you fired. You will have little chance against them in court. From your conversation it looks like they had a good enough reason.

My Ride
    95 AC INTEG 90 crx si

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house.

Giving and employee purchased item for partial payment will get you fired. You will have little chance against them in court. From your conversation it looks like they had a good enough reason.
    yea i bought it for the house not them. i stil had full intentions of takin it with me if i ever left.

My Ride
    1989 Toyota Supra Turbo

I don't know I bought a TV for our house when I worked for Future Shop in December and they never said anything. And it was even our manager that put it through!

My parents were there and we explained that it would be used by the family and then when I move out it will be mine.

Then again, we bought a $4000 TV so that might have had something to do with why they never said anything

Jason
    [imghttp://www.ubersupra.com/misc/logo1.gif[/img]
    Jay Ferguson
    [email protected]
    403.291.5646 local
    877.CMS.7222 toll free

Default Re: Did they have the right to fire me??

Originally posted by LudeRoca
    i had bought a tv for the house.
    there's the problem. you bought the tv, so the mature and professional thing to do would you deal with it, not your cousins. very confusing situation. i would have turfed you over that. very unprofessional.

and looking at your profile your a year younger than me, find a new job with better pay and move on. they won't take you seriously.

no offense.

also when they fired me, my two managers took me to the room and when i explained everything to them they tried to twist my words. at the end of the conversation they said they have to wait for a text message from the General manager to see if he wants to let me know and he wasnt even there to hear me out.
    also sounds very unprofessional with the way they handled that.. managers text messaging eachother in this type of situation?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Exactly.

If I were the managers, I'd definitely fire you. Everything points at you abusing your employee pricing. And really, you can't prove otherwise.

Besides, why raise a stink over a $9/hr wage job? You could be back in a job that pays just as much without much trouble.

your cousin is the moron who said she bought it from you...
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I think the problem is that your cousin brought it in for warrenty and she told the manager that you bought it for her. Therefore the manager has all the right reason to get you fired. I'm sure they dont care otherwise since they can't proof a damn thing. But since this situation is so obvious they will probably use it as an example to show other employees what NOT to do.

So i highly doubt you'll have any chance of getting your job back

Originally posted by gatorade
    your cousin is the moron who said she bought it from you...
    Yes that was pretty stupid of her to say that. Not to sound harsh but your cousin screwed you, go find another job.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

meh, even if you go through the hassle of getting your job back, you'll be under the looking glass the whole time you're there. They'll likely give you garbage work, and the whole morale will be out the door. You'll constantly have this abrasivness with management, and promotions will be few and far between.

Walk accross the street to Future Shop, and be more wise how you use your employee purchase plan. This isn't a career, so it's nothing to lose sleep over in the end other than it being a dumb pain in the ass to go job hunting again.
    Travel

My Ride
    Model S

Correction. The cost of rent to him the months before, after, and during the purchase of the TV was $0. This was paid in full, so there would be no need for an additional partial payment, TV or otherwise.

The employer would have to prove that the purchaser of the TV was in debt to the recipient of the TV, and they would have to prove that she in fact owns the TV.

You paid your $0 rent in full, your cousin will agree to this. You still own the TV. You have your TV set up openly in your place of residence, so you could have your own TV that you could watch, and you dont mind if others use it. Its still your TV and you are taking it with you when you leave. Your cousin brought in the TV for repair as a favor, and because you live together it was convenient.

They dismissed you on violation of company policy, and in order to do that, they have to have proof that you were in violation. Sticking to the above story, they dont have a leg to stand on. You have done nothing wrong.

So the answer is yeah you could win a wrongful dismissal suit, but it depends how bad you want to and how far you want to take it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

......... She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house. .....................So my cuzin went in and talked to my manager and said they wanted a new tv. While they were dealing with that my cuzin said that she had bought the tv from me which she didnt.................
    Base on that, it's a violation right there.

But the insistence of the managers to enforce the rule which may mean they don't want you there to begin with. Let's be real, who wants to lose people in this labour market if your performance is any good.

By all means, try labour board or lawyer for wrongful dismissal and get some cash or at least some dignity. But you definitely won't be working there again.

Originally posted by googe

They dismissed you on violation of company policy, and in order to do that, they have to have proof that you were in violation. Sticking to the above story, they dont have a leg to stand on. You have done nothing wrong.

well stated!

..weird how reverse lights dont work..
    ..weird how we both worked the BB..

Labour board is the way to go..or even write a letter to human resources for BB. they take those pretty seriously. i hade a friend that did that. odds turned in her favor.

even if you do get your job back, would you really work there?
    management is going to be on your ass so much

(i bet one of the managers was STEVE wasnt it?)

My Ride
    3 of Germany's finest

Okay this is the situation. I used to work at bestbuy. Last christmas i had moved out do to family issues and i was living with my cuzin. She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house. I lived there for about 6 months and then i moved back in with my parents before i left for india. Couple days after i left something went wrong with the tv. I told them that they could go in and tell them what happend and they should replace it cause i had bought the warrenty. They fixed the tv but when they brought it back it had a scratch on it. So my cuzin went in and talked to my manager and said they wanted a new tv. While they were dealing with that my cuzin said that she had bought the tv from me which she didnt. I still own the tv. Anyways to make a long story short they fired me because they believe i gave them the tv for rent money. and i guess this goes against employee staff purchaces. I was goin to go pick up the tv sooner or later but i didnt get around to it. Anyways can i fight this some how or cam i hooped?????
    Blah blah blah... You werent a good enough worker for them to let something this minor slip. They didn't like you enough to let it go. Face it. You are fucked. IF you have been there less than 3 months, you are even more fucked.

Originally posted by Ben
    Walk accross the street to Future Shop, and be more wise how you use your employee purchase plan.
    Future Shop and Best Buy are owned by the same company. I'm pretty sure they share HR info.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Originally posted by googe

Correction. The cost of rent to him the months before, after, and during the purchase of the TV was $0. This was paid in full, so there would be no need for an additional partial payment, TV or otherwise.

The employer would have to prove that the purchaser of the TV was in debt to the recipient of the TV, and they would have to prove that she in fact owns the TV.

You paid your $0 rent in full, your cousin will agree to this. You still own the TV. You have your TV set up openly in your place of residence, so you could have your own TV that you could watch, and you dont mind if others use it. Its still your TV and you are taking it with you when you leave. Your cousin brought in the TV for repair as a favor, and because you live together it was convenient.

So the answer is yeah you could win a wrongful dismissal suit, but it depends how bad you want to and how far you want to take it.
    I hope he takes this suit all the way, if not for himself, he should do it for all the employees that have been fired from these kinds of jobs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast