Quantcast
Mods and insurance... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mods and insurance...

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

Default Mods and insurance...

what do you have to tell your insurance company that you have done to your car to not void your coverage?
    my dad just said i had to tell our insurance i had nitrus in my car, is this true? what about adding new engines?
    anyone know of any of these things ...thanks

no. don't tell you insurance company you have nitrous..... its illegal. if cops catch you with a nitrous bottle hooked up and turned on, they have a right to take your car away from you. for me i either keep my nitrous bottle not hooked up or just keep it at home.

for stuff like engine swaps, major body work,...etc you have to get your car appraised.

so how much insurance diff between let say a Stock '00 celica and one w/ mods in it... like.. body kit and stuff

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    no. don't tell you insurance company you have nitrous..... its illegal. if cops catch you with a nitrous bottle hooked up and turned on, they have a right to take your car away from you. for me i either keep my nitrous bottle not hooked up or just keep it at home.

for stuff like engine swaps, major body work,...etc you have to get your car appraised.
    What if the nos bottle is turned off, but hooked up?

My Ride
    Hybrid

I believe it can't be hooked up.... theres NOS kits that have one fake hose and one real one, so it looks like its not hooked up, but it really is
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of not carrying nitrous is because it's a safety issue?? That's why trucks which ship compressed gases and such have to have those labels on there indicating that their transporting (compressed gases).

you can carry nitrous oxide. it just can't be "hooked up" as cops would say. i don't think carrying nitrous would become a safety issue because most bottles have safety release valves so if the pressure gets too high from whatever reason, it will bleed off the bottle. people that have nitrous bottles blown up just don't know how to install the safety valve right.....

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    you can carry nitrous oxide. it just can't be "hooked up" as cops would say. i don't think carrying nitrous would become a safety issue because most bottles have safety release valves so if the pressure gets too high from whatever reason, it will bleed off the bottle. people that have nitrous bottles blown up just don't know how to install the safety valve right.....
    I'd be more worried about getting rear-ended and having the bottle punctured. I like a good barbeque, but not when its me cooking

And some insurance companies won't even deal with modified cars, whether you tell them about the mods or not. Try to have someone discretely find out what your companies policy is on modified vehicles.
    Last edited by 4wheeldrift; 07-02-2002 at 06:59 AM.

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

I'd be more worried about getting rear-ended and having the bottle punctured. I like a good barbeque, but not when its me cooking

I love the smell of a good nitrous assisted BBQ in the morning, smells like lawsuit.

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

If you're worried about mods being stolen, or wrecked in an accident, just make sure you keep reciepts.

My Ride
    '87 Daytona

If you're worried about mods being stolen, or wrecked in an accident, just make sure you keep reciepts.
    only problem is that an insurance company won't pay for it, cuz putting mods and body kits raises the value of your car, so un;ess you told them you were doing so, they can tell you that you're outta luck even if you have reciepts, i doubt a shop is gonna take back a broken front spoiler

if you put mods on your car i guess you have to take some chances. if i really did get into a accident i could care less about the insurance company covering my mods..... i'd be more worried if they were going to void my insurance or not.

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Originally posted by GothicSmurf

only problem is that an insurance company won't pay for it, cuz putting mods and body kits raises the value of your car, so un;ess you told them you were doing so, they can tell you that you're outta luck even if you have reciepts, i doubt a shop is gonna take back a broken front spoiler
    Then why do they reimburse you if your stereo gets stolen? Wouldn't it be the same thing if someone stole your front bumper?

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

Originally posted by Weapon_R

What if the nos bottle is turned off, but hooked up?
    your bottle can be hooked up to your car, but i think the stipulation is that you CAN'T have any live nitrous lines running through your car. so, basically if your bottle is turned off and your lines are bled of all the leftover nitrous it should be ok.

My Ride
    NC1

My Prelude was fairly modded, supercharger and the whole bit but never did the thought of insurance come through my mind.

I say just let it be
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49