Quantcast
Clutch Bypass for Remote Start Systems .. Educate me on the Pros and Cons Please =) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Bypass for Remote Start Systems .. Educate me on the Pros and Cons Please =)

My Ride
    2004 Toyota Matrix XRs 6spd

Question Clutch Bypass for Remote Start Systems .. Educate me on the Pros and Cons Please =)

OK. Here's the deal. I'm buying my friends 2004 Toyota Matrix XRs 6spd. I know the whole deal of "oh, you have to push in the clutch when you start it so you dont acidentally pop the car into a brick wall" .. but i really want a remote start. I can figure out how to wire the bypass, thats not too hard, however if you have any advice that'd be cool too. The real question is, though,

should i do it?!

Does it promote wear on the engine/starter?
    etc ..
    what else should i know?

Also, is there any way to somehow wire in a "neutral" sensor so that the car will only start if it's in neutral? i'm sure theres a way to do it but i really dont want to take apart the whole transmission/gearshift part.. I mean, quads and bikes have a neutral light .. and the car beeps when it's in reverse, so obviously it has some sort of sensor .. so is there any way to sense for neutral and hook it in?

OK now that you've all read my essay .. please help? heh.
    --KMan13

My Ride
    98 V70 T5M

Does your vehicle have an electronic speed sensor? Perhaps you can wire it in to that? I think it's a bad idea....I wouldn't want to come outside and find my car down the street stuck in the neighbor's hedge.

But really, is it that hard to walk ourside and start your car?

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Most of the mod to higher end starts now have the "turbo timer" function built into the brain. As so when you remove the key the car continues to run for a bit.

If your unit is so equipped use that, I mean you CAN'T leave your car running when you get out, that way when you hit the button to restart it you know it's in neutral.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    335i

Bypassing the 'clutch to start' is something all installers can do.

If you buy a starter made for manual transmissions, you have to set it into 'ready mode' every time you turn the car off. Different brands will have different ways of doing this, but the idea is usually the same. In my old car, you'd push the 'start button on the remote', pull the ebrake, pull the key and get out. Once you shut your door, the system is set and the car shuts off.

This ensures that your car is in neutral, as you can't get out while its runing without putting it into neutral. It also ensures that your e-brake is up.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

well i dunno. like, i dont wanna have to leave the key in it. or i wanna aim it out the window while im at work have it start, THEN go clock out and do wat i gotta do .. which usually takes 5 mins .. mad good in cold winter or hot summer. and if i ALWAYS leave it in neutral .. is there any wear on the starter/engine .. that sthe main question i have .. i dont really think ill ever leave it in gear .. plus, the way i do it, ill be having a toggle switch to turn it off for things like valet and such. and the switch will be hidden.

weapon_r:
    thats pretty hot. do u kno the manufacturer of ur system or any similar that are made for manual transmissions? my toggle switch would be good but it can accidentally be left in the "set" position .. i mean i doubt im ever going to leave it in gear in places i'd remote it .. aka my driveway or the parking lot at work .. but still..
    --KMan13

My Ride

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Most of the mod to higher end starts now have the "turbo timer" function built into the brain. As so when you remove the key the car continues to run for a bit.

If your unit is so equipped use that, I mean you CAN'T leave your car running when you get out, that way when you hit the button to restart it you know it's in neutral.
    i understand what you're saying but ive never seen such a thing before .. elaborate?
    --KMan13

He means that if you have the turbo function it keeps running so the turbo can cool off, once it sits and cools for a short bit it then shuts down completely...
    (But since you can get out while it's running without the car stalling or jumping ahead, it would have to be in neutral, to sit and run for that bit, then when it's done it's off and for-sure in neutral)

I'm not exactly sure what your question is? If you buy an alarm/remote start start that works with manual transmissions, then your set, the way it's hooked up it will only work while parked and ready to start aka in neutral, ebrake on etc... As for wear on your engine and starter, it's a new car it should start faily quickly.. So Unless it's -40 and ain't gonna start and keeps trying to crank over (not sure if they do? if they don't get the signal that it has started) then no more wear and tear then if u were there starting it...

Last edited by Supa Dexta; 10-16-2005 at 07:48 AM.

My Ride
    explorer

ok so any manual transmission remote starters have to do a sequence of things before you get out of your vehicle most consist of aking car out of gear lifting the e-brake and taking your foot off the brake then hitting a button on the remot, then the vehicle will remain running until you get out of the vehicle then you hit a button on the remote again and it will shut the car off and some it will lock the doors at the same tinme (only if keyless entry is hooked up on the starter) hope this helps and starter are so nice to have in the winter

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Compustars remote requires no stupid procedures when setting the remote start/turbo timer.

I have two vehicles both are manuals and both have the compustar remote starters. All I have to do is put the car in neutral, pull the emergency break up (which activates the remote starter/alarm/turbo timer ) and then turn the key off. The car will continue running for however long you desire the car or truck to stay on for a maximum of 15 minutes. The moment you close the door the car or truck locks itself and you can walk away. Simple.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Compustars remote requires no stupid procedures when setting the remote start/turbo timer.

I have two vehicles both are manuals and both have the compustar remote starters. All I have to do is put the car in neutral, pull the emergency break up (which activates the remote starter/alarm/turbo timer ) and then turn the key off. The car will continue running for however long you desire the car or truck to stay on for a maximum of 15 minutes. The moment you close the door the car or truck locks itself and you can walk away. Simple.
    Dude you just said Compustars have no stupid procedure when setting the remote start in a manual and then you went to describe how you set the stupid procedure for a Compustar.

Anyways i use a Compustar and i just cut the loop in the unit to make it a "automatic" unit and just use relays to wire my safety neutral switch with my clutch bypass so it won't start if i'm not in neutral.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Uh...who doesn't pull their emergency brake up?

Originally posted by ?????

Dude you just said Compustars have no stupid procedure when setting the remote start in a manual and then you went to describe how you set the stupid procedure for a Compustar.

Anyways i use a Compustar and i just cut the loop in the unit to make it a "automatic" unit and just use relays to wire my safety neutral switch with my clutch bypass so it won't start if i'm not in neutral.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Everyone does(with a manual)...but you contradicted yourself. Plus you missed the step of having your foot on the brake.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    M5 Competition

How did I contradict myself? Foot on the brake?

Everyone does(with a manual)...but you contradicted yourself. Plus you missed the step of having your foot on the brake.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 89coupe

That is the stupid procedure
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    M5 Competition

So if you didn't have an alarm/car starter you wouldn't put your car in neutral and pull the emergency brake up, turn your key off and get out of the car? For a manual that is.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

That is the stupid procedure

My Ride

OK STOP FLAMING!!
    this thread was made to help me lmao not to fight
    and i do thank u all for the input

thats kinda what i want. i want my car to not start if im not in neutral. this is really what i was getting after, so what kind of car do you have? and which compustar, because it seems like ill be getting one of those. Everyone on this forum loves them.
    --KMan13

My Ride
    Mazda 3

I have a 05' Mazda 3....i have the compustar 2wfm8000-as

If you can find the safety neutral switch wire i'm sure you can do it too.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2000 323i

Yep, and if not, just do the stupid procedure, it's not too elaborate. I have seen people make up their own neutral safety switches (real effectively and cleanly too) but yeah. The 2wfm8000-as has a great reputation. Never heard of any problems really...I think the older ones had a faulty remote, but that got fixed I believe...and about cutting the loop, IIRC, the new compustar brains do not have that, and they ship the brains as automatic brains, or manual brains (with no modifiable loop), BUT I heard a rumour or 2 that Canadian brains still had the loop, so you may be in luck.
    Mike

My Ride

ok so does anyone know how to make a neutral safety switch? b/c thats really what i want.
    --KMan13

well bsaically thats what you do everytime you leave the car if you wanna start it the next time........so you dont really need the swtich persey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast