Quantcast
Who buys the service plan at bestbuy or futureshop? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who buys the service plan at bestbuy or futureshop?

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Default Who buys the service plan at bestbuy or futureshop?

just curious,
    when you beyonders purchase at futureshop or bestbuy, do you buy their service plans!

I always hate when they nag and nag at you to buy them.

what are the benifits and is there any real advantage to the purchase of one?

-jonny

My Ride
    J30t G20t G35x

I'd only say buy it on big-ticket items. I got it on my big screen, when i bought in 2000, and have used the service twice already, totalling over $700 in repairs. One more time in the next 6 mo, and I get a new tv!

On smaller things, I never get it. just get it on tvs, cell phones, anything Harman kardon, and when they offer OTC xchange.

Visions is good too, cuz they give it back to you as store credit if u dont use it.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Only on large item, such as projection TV ,High end HT speaker and such, anything less than 3000 dollars. Don't bother with the service plan.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

I've used it on my cell phone and it works like a charm. My phone was 370 when I bought it about a year ago, and I got a 2 year service plan on it. Basically you can bring it in, just explain real quick what is wrong with it (can be anything, like the light doesnt automatically come on when you flip it open etc), and they will exchange it for a brand new one. If they don't have your model, you will get the newer one or a different phone of same value.

I brought mine in within a year and it was still under warranty with the phone maker so they replaced it with a newer phone and my warranty is still in tact so I could still do the same thing within a year (you're only supposed to be allowed to use the warranty replacement once).

IMO, it's worth it for items worth a couple hundred bucks or more.

I would ALWAYS reccomend getting it for cellphones, just got new better phoen for free after my old phone hit the shitter after a year or problematic service.

My Ride
    Wristshots

i got it with my subs n amp 3 years ago....it was definitly worth it. i'd pretty much walk in there when summin went wrong, and it got taken care of right away.

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

I bought it for my wife's MP3 player (a Rio). I read that the Rio's had a lot of problems, but the price was right and the service plan provides for free replacements. Sure enough, we used the service plan to replace it with a RCA one.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by lastprodigy
    I would ALWAYS reccomend getting it for cellphones, just got new better phoen for free after my old phone hit the shitter after a year or problematic service.
    This is actually pretty funny. When I was purchasing my phone at futureshop. They offered an extended warranty for 2 years - $40.
    First year is otc swap and second year is repair or something like that.

I didn't bother getting it. 1 month later, my speaker craps out and I bring it to them expecting them needing to ship it off to get fixed, but I tell them what happened and they gave me a otc swap w/o a warranty.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

PSP (product service plan) and PRP (product replacement plan) are so worth it. I've seen pissed off customers come in with a defective item, leave happy with an invoice to pick up a new TV a few days later. Try that with a regular warranty.

Cellphones, iPods, laptops, TV's and cordless phones, all worth it. Needless to say, I purchase a PSP or PRP on nearly everything I buy. It's worth it, less hassle, and no "I told you so" at the front counter.

I guess I just have goodluck and don't have any troubles most of the time so I never get any extended warranties. But getting one on a big ticket item would be a good idea. I hope I don't have any problems with my plazma tv.

My Ride
    2006 Black Accord Coupe

i get the psp on almost everything, i like it because even if someth9ing isn't working as well as it should be, like when my sd400 didnt zoom in and out as fast as it did a few months back they fixed it for me, already called in two repairs in 6 months, two more and i get a new camera, still have 3.5 years on the psp :P samething with my ibook, got two screen repairs done.

....oh and my samsung plazma, the power button was stuck when they delivered it so i just called them and there bringing a new one in on wednesday....got free hd monster cables for cheap 2

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I still argue that the average person will come out way ahead by never purchasing an extended warranty.

Every fee that you pay for an extended warranty has to cover the following for the warranty company:

1. The cost of the average repair for the device you are buying
    2. Commision for the salesperson who conned you into the warranty
    3. Overhead for running a company. Office space, employees, utilities etc
    4. Profit

What do you get if your device breaks? Just #1

I'll never buy one, and I'm sure I'll come out far ahead in the end.

My Ride
    a wrx.

There are a few things that are great with PSP...

-cell phones (you carry it everywhere and it gets banged around)
    -mp3 players (same thing)
    -TVs (only if you move lots, otherwise the factory warranty will catch all problems)
    -computers (only if you're dumb at computers and don't have friends who can fix it for you)

Anddd that's about it. Everything else (home theatre, speakers, appliances, etc) don't really get moved around or don't have much in them to break.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I think everyone forgot the one thing thats really valuable to buy a PSP for, Ipods, I am sure glad I have mine.

Overall I think PSP's are worth it, if anythign for the peace of mind
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    335i

I think they're a waste of money, especially for items such as home theater. Buying a $50 PSP for a $100 phone is even worse. If anything, the phone will get lost before something happens to it.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I think they're a waste of money, especially for items such as home theater. Buying a $50 PSP for a $100 phone is even worse. If anything, the phone will get lost before something happens to it.
    The trick is to shamelessly abuse PSP in every way possible. What I did with my cell phone was take it in near the end of the PSP term and got it replaced on the spot with a brand new phone. I wanted a fresh new battery and a fresh new layer of paint. They didn't even ask me what was wrong with the phone, though if they had, I woulda said that the reception started sucking.

Don't feel bad about scamming them either, cuz these companies screw lots of people out of their money with PSP.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    The trick is to shamelessly abuse PSP in every way possible. What I did with my cell phone was take it in near the end of the PSP term and got it replaced on the spot with a brand new phone. I wanted a fresh new battery and a fresh new layer of paint. They didn't even ask me what was wrong with the phone, though if they had, I woulda said that the reception started sucking.

Don't feel bad about scamming them either, cuz these companies screw lots of people out of their money with PSP.
    i guess i don't feel as bad either, i've done it twice now with my cell phone, and twice with my ipod!

the reason im asking is because were getting a couple news tv's for the house, 2 of which are plasma, so i didn't know if the purchase of the plan was a good idea

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by 7thgenvic

i guess i don't feel as bad either, i've done it twice now with my cell phone, and twice with my ipod!

the reason im asking is because were getting a couple news tv's for the house, 2 of which are plasma, so i didn't know if the purchase of the plan was a good idea
    Meh, I wouldn't.

If there's something wrong with the TV, you'll find out right away and be able to exchange for a new one.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Is it really that easy with cellphones? I have the PSP on my phone but Iam hesitating if i should get it replace or not...

I've never bought a PSP and I dont intend to.

Does anyone have some actual numbers of how much revenue that generates for the companies?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast