Quantcast
Yellow bean sauce - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Yellow bean sauce

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Yellow bean sauce

Okay, stupid question time, but first stupid story time
    Whenever I go to a chinese food resteraunt, I always get chicken and cashews in yellow bean sauce, it's great. Anyhoo, this yellow bean sauce, it's red, and I can't find it anywhere. I did a lot of reading, and now my brain hurts, because every 'yellow bean sauce' I find is yellow, and is usually a 'salty' variety, while the stuff I know of is really sweet. Is the 'sweet' variety red, and if so, it's the same as brown bean paste, no?...

Anyhoo, I would really like to make this at home, since I can't afford ~$10 each time I want it, and I don't always want that much, but I just don't know what to get, or where to get it... I'm pretty lost.
    Could anybody here help me out?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    NC1

It starts out as the brown bean paste, you heat it up on the wok, add LOTS of sugar, a spash of red coloring, a quick toss through the wok and pow, just like that

It will be difficult to duplicate the dish because it just isn't the same cooking at home, you don't have the 'wok hei'.

Wok hei is the breath of the wok, it's HOT.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

a first condition is u must have a gas stove in order to have enuf wok hei
    electric crap won't cut it
    they sell sauce already made in bottles, it tastes ok to me, but it can b quite expensive. try market on centre st. (don't know the name in english) or t&t, they have isles dedicated to sauces in bottles

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I was going to try that place on centre st. because it's really close to me, but I feel just a wee bit out of place and it's tough if I don't know what I'm looking for. If there's a good chance they will have it, then away I will go I don't understand why you say the wok has to be super-hot. Aren't we making a sauce here, and won't a super-hot wok just burn it? Unless you mean for the chicken and such, which if this is the case, I think I understand.

I do have a gas stove though, so if it can be done I will find a way, and now I am steered in the right direction. Thanks for the advice

I suspected it might have been colored red, and now I know. I'll probably skip that step if I make it myself, because I don't really care about the color.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I went over to the store at centre & 16th, and they didn't have any 'yellow bean sauce' or 'brown bean paste', however I found a sweet bean sauce that is just outright terrible, it was very spicy, and was all wrong, despite the fact that it had a bunch of yellow beans pictured on the front (and all but the words sweet bean sauce were in chinese, so I don't know what it said), and I found another one that was just labelled 'ground bean sauce' and tried it on a hunch. It was exactly what I waslooking for It's not quite as good as at the resteraunt, but it's only like $3/dish instead of $10/dish, which makes much more sense.

Thanks for the help!

glad u found it
    my frnd called me a fukterd after reading what i wrote 'cause i couldn't name the bottle nor the place to buy it at

but u found it=)

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Haha, I didn't find the already-made stuff, I just found ground bean sauce. But whatever, add sugar, water, and it's yellow bean sauce
    I got a big jar of it for $1.50, and you use like 1 tablespoon each time..... this is going to last a long time, lol.