Quantcast
y u chose this career - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: y u chose this career

My Ride
    pair of adiDAs

Default y u chose this career

well im 18 and i have no idea wut i wanna become or wut to study in college. can u guyz in here tell me how u found out what u wanna become?

My Ride
    750Li

main thing for me was this

if I open my eyes in the morning, and its seems like the shittiest and hardest thing in the world is to drag myself out of bed and show up for work.........I know that job is just a job not a career

In my opinion you have to enjoy what you do to excel at it and mould it into a career, if you dont enjoy it you will be missing that passion and drive to succeed
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    05 GSXR600

there is no such thing as afun job

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by Grip172
    there is no such thing as afun job
    I disagree 100%

I have fun at my job

what about professional athletes,

marketing
    sales
    public relations all involved in my job and I love it and enjoy all aspects

My Ride
    2002 Acura 1.7EL

I agree with Def_3. To pick a career you need to enjoy it. I went into university and took a few courses in general studies. I didn't enjoy the economic courses, couldn't see myself in a lab so Engineering came about. Although there are definitely some days that I wonder why I became and engineer it worked out. Take your time and find something you enjoy.

My Ride
    pair of adiDAs

yes i agree u have to enjoy the job to become successfull, but I don't even know wut i wanna become or wat i wanna do in life and the pressure its very depressing.

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by GSR Zero
    I agree with Def_3. To pick a career you need to enjoy it. I went into university and took a few courses in general studies. I didn't enjoy the economic courses, couldn't see myself in a lab so Engineering came about. Although there are definitely some days that I wonder why I became and engineer it worked out. Take your time and find something you enjoy.
    ^^^yeah I agree

For me it was a little backwards, started retail in my teens, went on to sales positions, then marketing positions and advertising,

so that led me to do my BA with a marketing major.

I personally was afraid of that vicious circle, spend $50 000 on school get a degree, and have a hell of a time finding a job cuz you have no experience.

I work full time, go to school parttime, so when I finish up my degree this year Ill come out with a degree and enough experience already to open alot of doors hopefully

My Ride
    90hp beast

In all honesty I use to do it for the love of the job...However I got shafted from moving up and getting raises...
    Now for me.. It's all about money. I go to the highest bidder.

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by 90Tegra
    yes i agree u have to enjoy the job to become successfull, but I don't even know wut i wanna become or wat i wanna do in life and the pressure its very depressing.
    dude your 18 man, relax, Im 22, thats 4 years on you. I remember stressin, not as much at 18 too buisy being an idiot, but believe me alot can happen in 4 years, you have alot of time ahead of you! Dont force it or youll look back 20 years from now and regret it

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I was always a computer nerd, so my career came quite naturally. Even my absolute WORST days at work are still 100x better than previous jobs.

Still have a LOT to learn however.
    Travel

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by Def_3
    dude your 18 man, relax, Im 22, thats 4 years on you. I remember stressin, not as much at 18 too buisy being an idiot, but believe me alot can happen in 4 years, you have alot of time ahead of you! Dont force it or youll look back 20 years from now and regret it
    Hey Def_3!! Wanna talk a little more about your BA? I'm taking a marketing course at Mount Royal that I really enjoy and think that's the road I'll probably head down. Where are you working on your degree?

I'm planning on going to U of Sask in the commerce program next year but I'd like to have some optiong in case that doesn't work out.

My Ride
    750Li

I was at SAIT, considered DEVRY and go the hell out of there!

I am now at university of phoenix

they now have a campus in downtown calgary, mostly online and is aimed at people in their feild already ei. you are already working in a similar position that your degree will apply towards

Its awesome because they are a huge corporate partner, I work at Telus Mobility so ALL my school is paid for. You take 1 course at a time, 5 weeks per course, all while working fulltime, great professors, and great learning curve, you apply your studies to your job and vise versa, so you come out with a degree and experience

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Default Re: y u chose this career

Originally posted by 90Tegra
    well im 18 and i have no idea wut i wanna become or wut to study in college. can u guyz in here tell me how u found out what u wanna become?
    I think you should be a writer!! You have an obvious gift.

My Ride
    94' Terd

So what credentials will you recieve at the end of your education?

As a side, since Telus is paying for your education are you required to work for them for a certain time frame afterwards?

I was at SAIT, considered DEVRY and go the hell out of there!

I am now at university of phoenix

they now have a campus in downtown calgary, mostly online and is aimed at people in their feild already ei. you are already working in a similar position that your degree will apply towards

Its awesome because they are a huge corporate partner, I work at Telus Mobility so ALL my school is paid for. You take 1 course at a time, 5 weeks per course, all while working fulltime, great professors, and great learning curve, you apply your studies to your job and vise versa, so you come out with a degree and experience

Personally, I'd try to stay in school forever. If/when you ever find anything that is appealing, try to do it part time while still in school.. can't beat the lifestyle.

Money is the last thing that you should ever worry about.. if you worry about it too much I don't think it'll ever come.. success comes from doing something that you are great at, and it is hard to be great at something if you aren't fully engaged with it. Motivation is different for everyone, but I can't imagine being driven as hard as I am by money.. I think that there are few people who can be.

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by DUBBED
    So what credentials will you recieve at the end of your education?

As a side, since Telus is paying for your education are you required to work for them for a certain time frame afterwards?

I will graduate with a Bachelor of business sciences with a major in marketing and minor in managment

http://www.phoenix.edu/programs/BSB/mkt_frame.html

no I dont have to commit to telus since they are paying, they pay because they are a corporate partner with this university (they are huge in the states for corporate upgrading and training etc) and you have to prove to the employer that your schooling can be applied to help you grow with the company and advance

once I have my degree done I can apply for alot more positionshere or have other options available to me

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by E36M3
    Personally, I'd try to stay in school forever. If/when you ever find anything that is appealing, try to do it part time while still in school.. can't beat the lifestyle.

Money is the last thing that you should ever worry about.. if you worry about it too much I don't think it'll ever come.. success comes from doing something that you are great at, and it is hard to be great at something if you aren't fully engaged with it. Motivation is different for everyone, but I can't imagine being driven as hard as I am by money.. I think that there are few people who can be.
    who can afford to stay in school forever? and yes youll be educated by youll go to the grave with knowledge you never applied, and a bunch of peices of paper that say "degree"

yes money shouldnt be the main motivator, but who are we kidding, money makes the world go round' - sad but true, and I want to live life comfortably, not working my ass of to make ends meet, life aint worth living if you cant enjoy living it

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

My career choice came to me naturally... or so I thought. I no longer feel the love for archaeology that I once did, so I'm getting my degree anyways to put towards what I have discovered to be my TRUE love.... the military. I know that sounds odd, but I have always had a huge interest in the military, weaponry, tactics and the whole "military thing." So I've picked up my application for the Navy, as I love the sea, and hopefully in ten years or so I'll be a Watchman certifiaction level II holder (basically, the Officer of the Watch, ie third in command while on duty, or if the Capt and XO are below in their bunks, the 1IC of the ship )

Basically, it comes down to what you love to do. Take some time off, research, FIND something that appeals to you, and job shadow if you can, see if the reality meets the hype. If you find something you love doing, the by god and all furry animals big and small, DO IT.
    Geek

I'm just relating my own opinion. I dropped out of school to start some companies, and am more than comfortable financially. I didn't really ever feel uncomfortable while going to school, despite paying for it.

I am not suggesting that you don't work while going to school, I am just suggesting that your lifestyle is more about what you spend your time doing than the amount of money you make.

"Applying" stuff you learn at school is possible and very rewarding. For example, you could start Yahoo, Google, Cisco or any of the other hundreds of thousands of companies that came out of the academic world. You could cure cancer, feed the hungry, or solve some of the world's real problems.. hardly a trivial undertaking. No need to leave school to do that.

who can afford to stay in school forever? and yes youll be educated by youll go to the grave with knowledge you never applied, and a bunch of peices of paper that say "degree"

yes money shouldnt be the main motivator, but who are we kidding, money makes the world go round' - sad but true, and I want to live life comfortably, not working my ass of to make ends meet, life aint worth living if you cant enjoy living it

Last edited by kaput; 03-20-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast