Quantcast
Turbo leaking oil out the oil feed.. a Lot of oil - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Turbo leaking oil out the oil feed.. a Lot of oil

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Default Turbo leaking oil out the oil feed.. a Lot of oil

Alright I took my turbo out yesterday, just to replace some gaskets and to stop a leak I had on top of the turbo in the feed line (get rid of the shitty banjo bolt thing in there and replace it with a proper flange), and to add a real gasket to the return and replace my -4AN SS feed line (since I set the old one on fire, don't ask).

All that went well enough, but now, the oil is leaking a prodigous amount of oil out the feed. Like, three times as much as before. It is coming up where the -4AN->1/4" NPT elbow is (I had teflon paste on all those threads), up through the two bolts holding the flange on, and out the sides of the gasket, it is leaking oil into the turbine section so it is burning a bunch as well, and oil is coming out the bottom where the NPT->-10AN fitting is too. What the fuck happened?

I drove around with that old slow leak on the feed for about two months and never had a problem like this. Is it possible that when my old feedline got torched, something got into the turbo? Visually the line was only bad in the middle, it was totally fine towards the turbo side, and I disconnected it right away and never actually put any oil through it to the turbo. The old line still had clean oil in it too. The return line isn't kinked or anything, it worked fine for about two months, I'm going to double check it tomorrow but I don't think that would be my problem. If there is a blockage somewhere in the turbo, how do I clear it out?

edit: other things that might be important, when it was reinstalled, the turbo had no turbine shaft play, only slight compressor shaft play, and trace amounts of oil on the inside of the compressor housing and charge pipes

edit2: well since the oil inlet whole is threaded I could always ditch the flange and put the other elbow I got straight into it, but that doesn't look as good, plus the fuckin flange shouldn't leak anyway. What the hell happened?
    Last edited by b_t; 10-29-2005 at 11:32 PM.

My Ride
    DC4, CB750, CB360t

Is there a gasket on the inlet flange? maybe the flange is warped a bit.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Yeah there is a gasket in it. I am going to check my return line again today, there might be something blocking it since this is what happened way back when I first got this installed and had a shitty return line with a dip in it that got oil all backed up into the turbo

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

The fitting might be cracked?
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Naw, figured out what it was... gunk from my little oil line fire stuck right at the end of the return line -10AN hose end. cleared that out, then ran the car with the turbo just dumping oil into a bucket for awhile with no exhaust running through it to be sure. Its working fine now

corey I'll be phoning you about that wastegate sooner or later... mounting it will be a bitch though, there is hardly any room, prolly going to have to put it on an elbow so its parallel to the manifold..

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

why not go back to the "shitty" banjo fitting ? they can flow about 3x as much as the pre WWII AN series and SAE NPT. you probably just needed fresh seal rings and now a new feed line.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
    why not go back to the "shitty" banjo fitting ? they can flow about 3x as much as the pre WWII AN series and SAE NPT. you probably just needed fresh seal rings and now a new feed line.
    I don't think flow is that big of an issue here, I have a pressure restrictor at the feed now so this new fitting will do just fine, but I'm mostly just keeping it because it looks so damn good

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

reliability is also a consideration

b4 you had 1 line, 1 hollow bolt, 2 seal rings

now you have 1 adapter, 1 line, another adapter 1 flange 1 gasket 2 bolts and 2-3 addition sealing points that require debris laden paste to seal
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

are you using flanges that have NPT fittings? I have some -4an inlet and -10an drain flanges for t3/t4 turbos that I'm trying to get rid of. Less adapters is always more reliable, less spots to leak!