Quantcast
JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread. - Page 56 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 46 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1279

Thread: JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

Car is stolen... but here's how the title stuff works.

The current owner on title's front has nothing to do with this if the back is filled out and signed over to guy B. It's guy B's ball to go transfer the title into his name, then he signs the back over to you. The DMV will do it for him and it takes a few weeks to get the title in the mail and get a copy of his driver's license too for your trek to the border if you have doubts.

It would be impossible to do this and not have issues. If the back of the title is signed over to Guy B from Guy A (on the back of the title) then when he signs it over to you, how will he sign it over to you? Copy it and use some white out?!?

This would show that the car has never been registered since he bought it. Like it was said, you obtain title to register a car in the US. He technically, doesn't have title, just title signed over to him.
    So has he not driven the car since he bought it? Very suspecting.

Car is STOLEN. Found the title in the glove box and is anxious to sell the car. Won't register it himself because it'll come up stolen, just wants a quick sale. He'll feed you line after line.
    Call the local sheriff where the car is and have the VIN scanned. Do all your background check or you could be charged with posession of stolen property, trying to leave the US. I wouldn't want to be in those shoes... you'd be dealing with border patrol at that point.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Car is stolen... but here's how the title stuff works.

The current owner on title's front has nothing to do with this if the back is filled out and signed over to guy B. It's guy B's ball to go transfer the title into his name, then he signs the back over to you. The DMV will do it for him and it takes a few weeks to get the title in the mail and get a copy of his driver's license too for your trek to the border if you have doubts.

It would be impossible to do this and not have issues. If the back of the title is signed over to Guy B from Guy A (on the back of the title) then when he signs it over to you, how will he sign it over to you? Copy it and use some white out?!?

This would show that the car has never been registered since he bought it. Like it was said, you obtain title to register a car in the US. He technically, doesn't have title, just title signed over to him.
    So has he not driven the car since he bought it? Very suspecting.

Car is STOLEN. Found the title in the glove box and is anxious to sell the car. Won't register it himself because it'll come up stolen, just wants a quick sale. He'll feed you line after line.
    Call the local sheriff where the car is and have the VIN scanned. Do all your background check or you could be charged with posession of stolen property, trying to leave the US. I wouldn't want to be in those shoes... you'd be dealing with border patrol at that point.
    Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. Vehicle titles are not like registrations. You dont just keep that shit in the car so people can steal both together. It is possible to not obtain a new title and just immediately sign it over to another new owner. There are more than one space to sign over (release) on the title.

Even tho its suspecting it does not mean the car is stolen. You just need another bill of sale to prove that the original title owner sold the car to the current owner. And yes the US customs will look for this additional bill of sale. I have done it without problem. Again, you have to do your own homework tho, I cant grantee you anything but it is doable.

At the end of the day I don't want any hassle at the border. I told the seller "transfer the title into your name, then we'll go from there"

I did a carfax on it and autocheck, both came up clean. It;s tough to know the specifics though and I have no use for bullshit. If the seller disappears on me, I'll know something was up.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. Vehicle titles are not like registrations. You dont just keep that shit in the car so people can steal both together. It is possible to not obtain a new title and just immediately sign it over to another new owner. There are more than one space to sign over (release) on the title.

Even tho its suspecting it does not mean the car is stolen. You just need another bill of sale to prove that the original title owner sold the car to the current owner. And yes the US customs will look for this additional bill of sale. I have done it without problem. Again, you have to do your own homework tho, I cant grantee you anything but it is doable.
    a) I know title isn't like registration... they tell you not to keep it in your car, but I'm sure there's more than one person who does.
    b) Didn't know you could not obtain the title and immediately sign it over... Everything must be registered with the DMV and submitted.
    c)Positive that California titles have one space. Possibly a space for the lien holder info but one space for the buyer.
    d) I guess it is do-able with ALL your bases covered and presented up front at customs. I pulled in a car with a lien on it, when people everywhere said, don't even touch it or you could be sitting in the US waiting for title.
    e) If the guy is anxious to sell, he will jump through your hoops, just don't expect him to know everything needed to export. I've always told the seller what I need for paperwork and generally, if you're reasonable, etc, you can get it done.

I'm not a professional importer/curber. I've imported 3 vehicles without hassle.

Cali title... show me where you can sign title over if this guy has the back filled out with his info?

Default california temp permit

I am buying a vehicle in california - Private sale. Apparently, the california DMV does not issue temp permits ? from what they told me, I can drive the vehicle back with just the title signed over , bill of sale and proof of insurance. Just wondering what your experience has been buying from california and getting temp permits.

My Ride
    car

hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I have found the car I want in San Diego. I have been contacting the private seller and was advised that the car was finaced through Honda, which means that he does not have the title in hand. I would guess that there will be a lean on this car.

Can someone tell me if they have ran into this situation and how abouts to proceed?

Thanks in advance

My Ride
    335i

Wait for the title. It can be up to 30 days in some states before the title arrives after the vehicle has been paid off.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    car

Is there anyway to speed up the process.

Is there any issue of importing a lifted truck from the USA? I can't find anything saying there would be but I have a third hand story saying he got turned around at the border and had to install the stock suspension?

Thanks for the help.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Technically, the vehicle is required to be stock iirc.

I don't think it is the border's responsibility to turn you away... any inspections to see if the vehicle conforms to Canadian requirements are done one the vehicle is already in the country.

With that said, I guess it depends how anal the inspectors are as to whether they wish to "flag" a vehicle due to a jacked suspension. If it was me, I wouldn't bother toying with that prospect, and would instead just lift it here.

I am importing from Montana. I was wondering what the requirements are to bring in the vehicle through the US side of the border.

I read that you need to let them know that you are coming 72 hours ahead of time but I am not sure how and who to contact.

can anyone shed some light on that?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

You send all the paperwork to the Port of Entry where you are passing through. I believe you'd be going through sweetgrass:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/mt/3310.xml

this might prove useful as well:

http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx
    Last edited by Kloubek; 03-18-2011 at 03:32 PM.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by soccernut
    I am importing from Montana. I was wondering what the requirements are to bring in the vehicle through the US side of the border.

I read that you need to let them know that you are coming 72 hours ahead of time but I am not sure how and who to contact.

can anyone shed some light on that?
    Easy.

Fax the form + title (important) to the border from info posted by Kloubek. You're right - 72 hours notice required.

Go get your car.

At Sweetgrass, do not cross the border yet. Stop and park your car before getting to Canadian immigration, and walk into US immigration (check out Google Satellite maps to see the layout of the border). Tell them you're exporting the car and show them documents. They'll stamp it.

Take your stuff, get in your car and drive across border. Tell the border guy you bought the car. They instruct you to go inside, they'll calculate GST, you pay the full amount up front, and you're on your way.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Anyone have experience buying a brand new Subaru from a dealership in the US and bringing it back to Canada? Do they honor warranties in Canada?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Dude - just do an internet search! This thread is enough for people to sift through already.

"Subaru: The car must either be returned to the U.S. for warranty repairs, or the owner can have the car repaired by a Subaru dealer in Canada, pay for it in full, and submit the bill to Subaru U.S. for re-imbursement. "

For anyone looking for warranty information for *any* brand, this is a good source:
    http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...overage-check/

I just brought my Scion XB in from Arizona with a 30 Day General Use Permit.

I paid for the RIV program and i'm just waiting for all the documents to get the car inspected and registered.

For the time being am I able to drive on the temporary permit without a plate?

Registry was useless when I asked them

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Did you have another car here? You can use your plate for 14 days on your current insurance. That should be enough time to get it inspected and registered... they send them pretty quickly.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Did you have another car here? You can use your plate for 14 days on your current insurance. That should be enough time to get it inspected and registered... they send them pretty quickly.
    I do have another car - And I could use the plate however, the Bill of Sale is Dated March 03, as that is when I purchased the vehicle, however I just brought it into Canada yesterday (waiting for title etc)

Will that make a difference?

I know that it's generally 14 days from date of sale, is that right?
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 03-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

That is my understanding.

I would call your insurance company and let them know as well. No point leaving it to chance.

Yeah I already have insurance on the vehicle - I just don't want to get pulled over and screwed over.

I guess I just wont drive, gay

Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 46 55 56 57 ... LastLast