Quantcast
employment insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: employment insurance

Default employment insurance

is anyone here on employment insurance and if so what do they ask you to do while recieving benefits? i am currently trying to start a claim and was just wondering how difficult they make it for you.. i really dont have a clue what happens once you start recieving benefits. anyone with any info would help me out alot.. thanks if you want to pm feel free

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i think u get like 60%of how much you make, and it takes a while to get it, my brother went to school for his trade and got a cheque for like 1200 bucks for the 3 months he was off and it took like 5 months to get there

My Ride
    Toyota

If u need to learn a little bit more about them http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/gateways/n...ogram/ei.shtml i dunno if that helps hehehe
    CuTeChick9

EI is worthless, I got $146 for the month I was off work cause they counted my vacation payout as income. We should all be fighting for a decrease in deductions because most of us will never see any money from EI and because they have a $46 Billion surplus.

... and guess what, on my first paycheque, EI took $45!

As for info, once you file a claim, you just have to report every 2 weeks over the phone/internet. Expect to wait at least 6 weeks before seeing any money.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by phreezee
    EI is worthless, I got $146 for the month I was off work cause they counted my vacation payout as income. We should all be fighting for a decrease in deductions because most of us will never see any money from EI and because they have a $46 Billion surplus.

As for info, once you file a claim, you just have to report every 2 weeks over the phone/internet. Expect to wait at least 6 weeks before seeing any money.

you probobly only worked 30 hours a week or so, any your monthly income is lower..

Ei is 55% of your monthly earnings up to $1400 a month...

you need 910hours the first time you want to quailify for it, and the second time is only 710..

I should be heading on it shorting in another week or two...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by phreezee
    We should all be fighting for a decrease in deductions because most of us will never see any money from EI and because they have a $46 Billion surplus.

It'll be 4 to 6 weeks before you see any money depending on your severence.

Report every 2 weeks up to guarantee payments. You can ride this for 10 months.

But sucks to be on EI unless you still live @ home. And the more money you make, the less you want to be on EI. For most of us hard working people, we'll never see a penny. But that's the case for every insurance out there.

No, I worked full time salary. 40hr/week for the past 4 years. I would have got the max $1400/month, but my vacation pay was ~$1300ish so they deducted it.

Originally posted by Kobe

you probobly only worked 30 hours a week or so, any your monthly income is lower..

Ei is 55% of your monthly earnings up to $1400 a month...

you need 910hours the first time you want to quailify for it, and the second time is only 710..

I should be heading on it shorting in another week or two...

hmmm anyone know what requirments EI. asks from you while you are receiving benefits?

i thought there would be more opinions on this matter.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by sallinger
    i thought there would be more opinions on this matter.
    What more do you want, everything is listed at government site and everything need to be said is said.

Cliff notes:

1. They determine your weekly paid

2. Severence/weekly paid + 2 weeks = how many weeks before you see 1st check.

3. Report every 2 weeks afterward for update until you find a job. Report any income during that period.

4. For prolonged period, you have to show that you are looking for work. Log all the places you apply and interviews you had.

5. You can be on it for a max of 10 months.

In short at maximum, you're getting paid $10/hr for doing nothing. That also mean that your old job would've beeing paying at least $20/hr. Unless you're unemployable and can't find the same pay, it's still better to look for work.

You can't leave the country for vacation while you're on EI, you have to tell EI office to stop payment before you can leave.

You can also collect EI if you start a business after layoff. But there are limitations.

Approval is needed to go to school while on EI.

Now stop leeching the system and get a job. Can't really stand people collect EI while there's a labour shortage out there.

My Ride
    Taco

What about when your going to school, I have student loans but it's not enough and I could work but, you know... So can i collect this while in school and most importantly-

Does it hurt your credit rating???

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by B20EF
    What about when your going to school, I have student loans but it's not enough and I could work but, you know... So can i collect this while in school and most importantly-

Does it hurt your credit rating???
    Course you take while collecting EI must be approved. No, it doesn't hurt your credit rating taking EI as long as all your creditors are paid on time (which is tough to do while you're on EI).

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Originally posted by Xtrema

4. For prolonged period, you have to show that you are looking for work. Log all the places you apply and interviews you had.

5. You can be on it for a max of 10 months.
    They tend to be fairly lenient on where you are looking for work. They don't expect you to take a job flipping burgers if you were a mid level manager for a telco. But it is best to look diligent in looking for work in your field on skillset.

You can actually extend the time you are on EI (and they will tell you this) by working temp jobs. I don't remember how you have to fill in your time sheet but if you work a week for whatever company you can decline an EI check that week without cancelling your benefits. That week is then added on to the end of your benefit period. They count weeks paid out as opposed to time frame. So 10 months you would have 40 weeks of pay out. If that is paid out over 52 weeks because you worked 12 weeks through that time frame they don't really care. This can actually allow you to try out some different jobs if you are unsure what you want to do and still have some security. Just make sure you fill out the forms correctly otherwise you could lose your benefits.

They also allow you 2 weeks of vacation per year and quite a bit of sick time.

This is all based on when I was on it back in 2000 so it could have changed by now.

well i worked for this company for 5 years was making almost 3000$ per month i think it might be hard for me to find a 9-5 job that pays as well. anyways EI will help me until i find something or return to school.

My Ride
    Bicycle

$3K a month and that's about $18/hr. May be Telus is hiring since 1/2 of the union isn't coming back to work.

Granted it may not be something along the lines you're doing but it should paid close to that amount.

are EI payments retroactive?