Quantcast
epoxy hardener for CF available locally??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: epoxy hardener for CF available locally???

My Ride
    SRT

Default epoxy hardener for CF available locally???

i'm ordering 10 yards of cf with the epoxy and all the stuff so i can start playing with laminating some parts. however they can only ship it fedex freit due to the epoxy hardener being a hazardous material which cant be shipped in the mail. the difference in price is HUGE so i'm wondering if i can just get quality stuff locally. either 20minute or 60 minute hardener would do, but as long as someone can direct to the right local store i can explain to them exactly what i need. i'd basically have to get almost half the cf if i have to ship it freight coz it comes to over 400 uS
    Last edited by riceeater; 11-03-2005 at 04:31 AM.

My Ride
    it has wheels???

Dude go talk to Industrial paints a plastics, they can take care of your every need, outside of a autoclave!
    "Could you please turn down your car"- Ben

My Ride
    SRT

i dont suppose you have a phone number or adress...i'll just bust out the phone book. BIG thanks

My Ride
    SRT

hmm...two come up in google

Industrial Plastics & Paints
    Calgary, AB T1X 1E1
    (403) 252-8325

Industrial Plastics & Paints
    5558 1 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2H 2W9
    (403) 252-8368

which one??

you might also wanna shoot primer_drift a pm. he made some scoops for his del sol with some cf and epoxy
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

I'd be interested in this aswell, although no where near the quanity rice is looking at.

My Ride
    SRT

^^ do you just want it for some interior trim pieces? that's what i'm gonna start with first since that's one of the easiest ways to learn, and also looks damn good, so if you just need a small job like that just let me know and i'll probably be able to help you out rather than you going out and getting all the supplies...

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

What are the steps in making small interior pieces? Does it take a long time to make a carbon fiber product?

i think it is the same as fiberglass, except the curing part, it has to be pressurized and baked to cure strong

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by rahim
    i think it is the same as fiberglass, except the curing part, it has to be pressurized and baked to cure strong

you guys can start here...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carbo...orcycle-parts/
    Last edited by riceeater; 11-09-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Originally posted by riceeater
    ^^ do you just want it for some interior trim pieces? that's what i'm gonna start with first since that's one of the easiest ways to learn, and also looks damn good, so if you just need a small job like that just let me know and i'll probably be able to help you out rather than you going out and getting all the supplies...
    Yah I got a couple of different ideas floating around, going to plan them out more. I'd be much happier if I didn't have to buy all the supplys and such myself so if your up for that let me know. I can find other people interested in CF too and u could make some money once you got comfortable with it.

Originally posted by riceeater

you guys can start here...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carbo...orcycle-parts/
    i'm no expert on the subject, but i don't see what i said wrong

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Most CF does not need to be pressure molded and heated. This is typically only used in the aviation industry due to the costs involved. For cars, it is done exactly like fiberglass with a catlyst used to harden it at room temperature.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

the vacuum idea sounds so much eaiser then the way I was tought to do it. Let me know riceeater, add me to msn if u have it.

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by rahim

i'm no expert on the subject, but i don't see what i said wrong
    i copied and pasted that so you can ignore the smiley... but yeah, vacuum bagging seems to work pretty good for a lot of enthusiasts.. you can create a couple atmospheres of pressure with the simplest tools, and as long as the rezin is at above 70F it'll cure fairly quick on its own... added heat will speed that up a bit but you dont really need to

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
    the vacuum idea sounds so much eaiser then the way I was tought to do it. Let me know riceeater, add me to msn if u have it.
    the stuff's in the mail so hopefully some time next week it'll be here. time to get a big shop vac and some epoxy and hardener i'll keep you posted man!

www.fiberglast.com is where i got the stuff if anyone wants to look into this stuff... the CF and CF/kevlar fabrics are listed under products>>reinforcements.

I'm really liking the cf/kevlar look, and since the price is the same i'm most likely gonna get a few yards of the stuff as soon as i get a hang of this
    Last edited by riceeater; 11-10-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Yo man I got one of those big shop vac's we can use, no point in buying a new one jsut to screw around at first.

My Ride
    SRT

looks like the stuff will be shipped out dec 2 due to the cf being on a short back order... sounds like it'll be here right before the winter break, when i hope to have plenty of time to screw around with it

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

My Ride
    01' Tacoma, 70' Toyota Crown, 68' Toyota Corona

sounds like fun. I'm going to be fabbing some parts for my tacoma next summer after i get finished with the turbo install.

Make sure you use a good uv addative in your resin to prevent yellowing and structural degredation. This is especially important with the kevlar as it will weaken and discolor considerably in the sun.

Vaccume bagging is defenitely the way to go, you'll end up with less imperfections and a stronger thinner layup.

Let me know if you need help with anything. I've done a decent amount of glassing on boats, repairing/modifying body kits, and some custom CF dash inserts for my old mazda3.

You can get different epoxies with different cure times etc...
    I tend to use the "Industrial Formulators 51 cure" epoxy alot. It has about a 30 min to 2 hour working time before it starts to kick off(the warmer it is the faster it will start to cure). It's a 5 to 1 mix ratio and I've been very happy with it. Get the 1 gallon size in the metal jugs and be sure to get the pumps with it so you don't have to worry about measuring out 5-1. Epoxy is different than poly resin in that if you add too much or too little of part B it will never cure properly so the $14 on the pumps is well worth it.

Blah...blah...blah... LOL

Evan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast