Quantcast
Merrill Lynch put bets on Xbox360 over PS3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Merrill Lynch put bets on Xbox360 over PS3

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Merrill Lynch put bets on Xbox360 over PS3

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11...sole/index.php

Cliff notes.

Blu-ray and cell processor will keep PS3 price at least $100 over the Xbox 360. So until Sony can showcase that the HW cost is justified (which I doubt), it may lose some ground to Xbox.

And the kicker,

All of this might not matter were Sony in a position to take large losses on the PS3, but the company’s financial situation raises questions about just how much money Sony is going to be willing to lose
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-03-2005 at 12:59 PM.

link no worky

My Ride
    Bicycle

fixed

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Some other analysts have also predicted Xbox360 to win the next generation battle. It will be pretty close as Sony will surely hype the PS3 before its launch and the PS2's popularity will surely spill over. Let's face it, the PS2 widely outsold the Xbox even though PS2 only had a handful of games that look half decent graphics-wise. The big question will be how many people will be able to fork out $600.00-700.00 for a PS3 with a declining economy and rising fuel prices especially in the US. I think the timing will not be very favorable in the first year.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by heavyD
    The big question will be how many people will be able to fork out $600.00-700.00 for a PS3 with a declining economy and rising fuel prices especially in the US. I think the timing will not be very favorable in the first year.
    Well then there are the people who buy a console every 3 to 4 years. They may just pick up an Xbox360 and forget about PS3 until a really wanted exclusive title comes out for it.

It's been said before and I will say it agian...

Consoles dont sell themselves, the titles they play do. If sony has better games they will move the PS3

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

The big question will be how many people will be able to fork out $600.00-700.00 for a PS3
    That is way too much for a game console........almost the price of a decent computer. I don't think it will do that well.

How much is that new nintendo thing going to be?????????

Last edited by kaput; 03-20-2019 at 07:02 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That what happens when you have a media guy running the company instead of engineers.

Sony has long lost it's way ever since they got into the music and movie business.

Nobody but media companies want to deal with DRM, period. The minute you put DRM on your electronics, people would just buy alternatives probably made in China.

when blu-ray becomes mainstream, xbox 360 will be outdated

(edit and its not "if" blue-ray becomes mainstream, its "when")

microsoft is stupid to not make xbox 360 100% backwards compatable with the old xbox.

ps3 will be 100% backwards compatable. Im more of an xbox fan, but microsoft definatly lost points with that
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well Blu-ray seems to be losing momemtum. Again, everyone said NO DRM like the way Sony dictates it. Most movies studio are now adopting HD DVD along with Blu-ray (show you how much confidence they have for the format). HP almost come right out saying that change the DRM or they'll drop it. With HDDVD ready for release sooner, blu-ray is gonna be the next betamax.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

I think thats a lot of money for ps3 but I will definately buy it over xbox 360... even if its just for the next gran tourismo lol.

Microsoft might beat sony on the release this time, but I have a feeling ps3 will still be a much better system...hell go look at some vids on ign... IMO xbox 360 doesnt seem to have made a huge jump compared to the advancement in graphics ps3 is making./

But like someone said its the titles that will sell the system, and that was the reason I originally bought a ps2 over an Xbox, now I have both, and still prefer many titles on ps2 then on Xbox... And I think history will repeat itself on that one.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    microsoft is stupid to not make xbox 360 100% backwards compatable with the old xbox.
    You make it sound like Microsoft doesn't want to make it 100% backwards compatible.

The XBox uses a nVidia chip for its graphics processor. The XBox 360 uses an ATI chip. The list of problems is just endless just for this issue (namely technical and legal). NVidia will need to give permission to Microsoft and ATI to emulate its graphics processor in order for the old XBox games to work properly. As far as I'm concerned nVidia didn't give all the information Microsoft needs to make the XBox 360 fully backwards compatible.

...But then again, who would if your client decided to ditch you and partner with your greatest rival?

there's a bigger launch this time for the xbox360 in japan (compared to before). this might invite more developers from japan to makes games for the console

I think this is an important part of their strategy because the ps2 games just rock over the xbox (with the exception of the excellent online games available for the xbox). but a lot of you have played those strange japanese titles that u just can't seem to let go of

it's about the games, not the console and what it does imo

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

I probably won't buy th ePS3 becaus eI know if you wait a year or some you save a shit load of £$£, but I don't like any game son the xbox so I'll never buy one.

I think Blu-Ray is losing the battle againt HD-DVD
    Hopefully not though, doens't matter people buy consoles if they like playing the games that work ON it.

But I think mums and dads will buy their small kids the 360 just because it'll be cheaper. Sony will lose big points for that.

this sux for the ps3, w/ their big losses i have no idea how they're going to divert funds to cover for it, hopefully not from development and such. even with the bad customer support i still think they pump out quality products

hopefully there'll b a hybrid burner for the two formats

Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero

You make it sound like Microsoft doesn't want to make it 100% backwards compatible.

The XBox uses a nVidia chip for its graphics processor. The XBox 360 uses an ATI chip. The list of problems is just endless just for this issue (namely technical and legal). NVidia will need to give permission to Microsoft and ATI to emulate its graphics processor in order for the old XBox games to work properly. As far as I'm concerned nVidia didn't give all the information Microsoft needs to make the XBox 360 fully backwards compatible.

...But then again, who would if your client decided to ditch you and partner with your greatest rival?
    if computer games are able to run using both chipsets, there is no excuse for the xbox 360 too. if anything, they should have stuck with nvidia and not flip between technologies.

but hey, thats just some simple planning they should have made on their part, so yes, it is their fault.
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    but hey, thats just some simple planning they should have made on their part, so yes, it is their fault.
    No it's not. It's big business. The relationship between Microsoft and Nvidia was strained due to lawsuits over the Xbox cards pricing, etc. Microsoft noticed that Ati made an excellent gpu for the Gamecube that was far cheaper than the Nvidia GeForce 3.5 in Xboxes and decided not to overpay for their next gen gpu's. If making consoles was simple planning why are there only three players in an industry that is larger than the motion picture industry.

All of the major Xbox titles will be playable on Xbox360 so what's your gripe? Do you really think that alot of people will be dissapointed that crappy titles Kabuki Warriors won't play on Xbox360?

No it's not. It's big business. The relationship between Microsoft and Nvidia was strained due to lawsuits over the Xbox cards pricing, etc. Microsoft noticed that Ati made an excellent gpu for the Gamecube that was far cheaper than the Nvidia GeForce 3.5 in Xboxes and decided not to overpay for their next gen gpu's. If making consoles was simple planning why are there only three players in an industry that is larger than the motion picture industry.

All of the major Xbox titles will be playable on Xbox360 so what's your gripe? Do you really think that alot of people will be dissapointed that crappy titles Kabuki Warriors won't play on Xbox360?
    just wondering what they consider "major xbox titles"?

halo 1 is an old game, chances are it may not be playable.

all in all i will probably get both, and more than likely enjoy the xbox 360 more, but we'll see. like i mentioned, i am more of an xbox fan, i think their controller layout is flawless with triggers vs buttons.