Quantcast
Alberta Gdl Process Joke - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Alberta Gdl Process Joke

My Ride
    Dodge Sucks

Default Alberta Gdl Process Joke

A buddy of mine was living in the dominion republic for 5 years.

He got his drivers licence there. (class 5)

And hes now in alberta.

He goes to the registry and they tell him the dominican republic they dont reconize there licenses and he will have to be a GDL learner.

So he will have to wait 1 year to drive by himself? He has class 7

What a joke~

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

Ridiculous.

How old is he?

My Ride
    Dodge Sucks

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Not sure if you can do this...but why didnt get an international drivers liscence (my mom got one when she was travelling 2 years ago) and all you need is that piece of paper, valid drivers liscence from your country, and a passport (if he has a dominican passport). once again not sure if usuable in his case, or even obtainable, but it can/could of been an option.

Or tell him to move to sask and get a sask liscence, then move back here

dont think there gdl yet, but another option.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Actually, I'm glad this happens.

A lot of immigrants has driver licenses (or international dl) but never driven a car daily or in the climate/condition in Alberta.

GDL will keep these people off the road until they gain more experience.

Especially your buddy from the Dominician republic, I don't think he has ever driven on ice. Someone sitting next to him and show him a few things would be great for his 1st winter here.

My Ride
    FOR SALE: 02EP3

Originally posted by Xtrema

A lot of immigrants has driver licenses (or international dl) but never driven a car daily or in the climate/condition in Alberta.

Especially your buddy from the Dominician republic, I don't think he has ever driven on ice. Someone sitting next to him and show him a few things would be great for his 1st winter here.
    totally agree

My Ride
    Dodge Sucks

Hes a canadian born and raised here. He moved there to be a teacher. He knows how to drive and what not as he was a farm kid. just never needed the licence on the farm.

So this GDL system you have to wait a year till you can drive by youreself?

My Ride
    JDM DSM VR4

I am a new resident to Alberta, having moved from a country that does not have a
    reciprocal licensing agreement. What do I need to do to get my Alberta Class 5
    licence?

New drivers being licensed in Alberta on or after May 20, 2005 that move from countries
    with no reciprocal licensing agreement and requesting full Class 5 licence privileges are
    subject to an advanced road test.
    Drivers from non-reciprocal countries with 2 or more years of driving experience who
    present a valid driver’s licence will need to under go a complete driver’s examination.
    This includes a knowledge and vision test and a practical Class 5 advanced road test.
    Before being issued a regular operators licence, the client will need to produce proof of 2
    or more years driving experience, in the form of, an out of country driver’s licence with
    date of first issue OR a confirmation letter from the country where licensed. If the driver
    chooses to take a basic Class 5 road test, the client becomes a GDL driver and must
    remain in this stage for a minimum of 1 year.
    Drivers with less than 2 years driving experience will need to successfully pass a
    knowledge and vision test and a practical basic Class 5 road test. These drivers will
    become Class 5 GDL probationary drivers and will be subject to all GDL conditions.
    They become eligible for an advanced Class 5 road test and full licence only after
    obtaining 2 or more years driving experience. Proof of driving experience from the
    country they were licensed in is required. Without the proof, they will remain in GDL for
    a minimum period of 2 years, in which the last 12 consecutive months are licence
    suspension or cancellation free.
    NOTE: Alberta has reciprocal licensing agreements with the following countries:
    http://www.saferoads.com/pdf/ART_qanda.pdf

It would appear that your buddy just needs to do an advanced road test to get his class 5. I noticed when I was getting my car registered that certain registries are definitely more knowledgable than others, especially when it comes to less common things. Southland registry worked well for me, maybe give them a try.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by dodad
    just never needed the licence on the farm.
    So he's never licensed here in Canada. To the system, he's a noob, no matter is he has driven since the age of 3.

My Ride
    Dodge Sucks

He just talked to registry they will skip the gdl program he just needs one road test. He needs to have a letter from the country like a drivers abstract.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Sorry, i was in the dominican this year..

I sure as hell, hope he doesn't get his licence.
    No offence, but there is NO RULES to driving down there..

A red light to them means yeild... they don't have stop signs, and no speed limits, but I must admit they do drive pretty slow...

There is also A TON of drinking and driving down there...

We were gunna rent a moped till we saw how they drive down there... I was to scared lol

Unless his a really good driver, and none of the above he did in the DR...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Jeep

Originally posted by Xtrema

EXACTLY. I support that rule 1000%.

Driving is not a right in this country, so play by the rules or ride the bus. It's far too easy to get a license in Canada anyways.

My Ride
    Dodge Sucks

Originally posted by The Rider

http://www.saferoads.com/pdf/ART_qanda.pdf

It would appear that your buddy just needs to do an advanced road test to get his class 5. I noticed when I was getting my car registered that certain registries are definitely more knowledgable than others, especially when it comes to less common things. Southland registry worked well for me, maybe give them a try.
    Thanks for the info. He talked to the registries and youre right. Hes just waiting for a drivers abstract to be sent through fax. I hear driving down there can be a nightmare but hes never had speeding ticket nor accidernt while down there. Hes by far a better driver then most i see on calgary roads.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by dodad

Thanks for the info. He talked to the registries and youre right. Hes just waiting for a drivers abstract to be sent through fax. I hear driving down there can be a nightmare but hes never had speeding ticket nor accidernt while down there. Hes by far a better driver then most i see on calgary roads.

Thats becuase there is no speed limits and rules...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Originally posted by Kobe

Thats becuase there is no speed limits and rules...

yeah its pretty nutzo down there, but as it is in most 3rd world countries

My Ride
    FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY > ALL

Originally posted by lastprodigy

yeah its pretty nutzo down there, but as it is in most 3rd world countries
    yeah and pedestrians HAVE to yield to cars...