Quantcast
PIAA bulb burnt out, what next? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PIAA bulb burnt out, what next?

My Ride
    2007 Nissan Versa

Default PIAA bulb burnt out, what next?

Ive got a set of PIAA bulbs in my car, 9006s, and one of them just burnt out. I dont have the original receipt or packaging, so Im pretty much going to give up on getting it replaced on warranty (they were bought less than 6 months ago). Just wondering what bulbs I should replace them with? Any suggestions? Im looking for something very bright, and white.

My Ride
    Civic SI / Ducati Monster

If they are H4 Bulbs...check these out...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=101417

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

silverstars

My Ride
    2007 Nissan Versa

Originally posted by 2000_SI
    If they are H4 Bulbs...check these out...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=101417
    Unfortunately they arent H4s, theyre 9006s. But thank you.

Originally posted by FlySi
    silverstars
    Ive heard a lot about Silverstars. I think theyll probably be my next choice. The PIAAs were way too pricey ($90 for a pair or something like that).

My Ride

Silverstars are pretty good for the price, however it seems to be a common problem for them to burn out really fast. You'd be lucky if yours last 6 months before burning out. I bought mine at Canadian Tire though, so the cashiers there could care less if I'm there once every few months to exchange my bulbs for newer ones.

My Ride
    2007 Nissan Versa

Just picked up a pair of silverstars. Its still daytime, so I cant really tell how they compare to the PIAAs I had in there before, but theyre definitely much brighter than your standard bulb. (I do pizza delivery, and most of the driving is at night, so intensity is quite important to me)

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

going on almost 2 years with my original silverstars, and they're always on (DRL)

The BMW and the Golf have been running them for about the same also.

never had a problem.

Not sure, maybe everyone drives around like a tool with their high beams on all the time like most people in this city seem to enjoy.
    Travel

My Ride

Originally posted by Ben
    going on almost 2 years with my original silverstars, and they're always on (DRL)

The BMW and the Golf have been running them for about the same also.

never had a problem.

Not sure, maybe everyone drives around like a tool with their high beams on all the time like most people in this city seem to enjoy.

Thats funny, I know a lot of people who have had the same problem with Silverstars. If your going to try to make yourself look smarter, you should know what your talking about first. My Prelude uses two different bulbs for high beam and low beam , so even if I drove around the city with my high beams on all the time like your suggesting, I dont think that would effect the Silverstars that are only for my low beams.

My Ride
    a wrx.

My sealed beam Silverstars have lasted well over a year while I've been feeding them more than their rated voltage. I sold them and bought a pair of H4 Silverstars.

My next purchase will either be Sylvania XtraVisions (brighter than Silverstars, but not as white) or some crazy 80/100w bulbs.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by 5hift

Thats funny, I know a lot of people who have had the same problem with Silverstars. If your going to try to make yourself look smarter, you should know what your talking about first. My Prelude uses two different bulbs for high beam and low beam , so even if I drove around the city with my high beams on all the time like your suggesting, I dont think that would effect the Silverstars that are only for my low beams.
    Thats funny, I know a lot of people who have never had a problem (people dont generally complain and raise a stink when they work now do they?)

Wow, I must have hit a nerve, are you one of those tools who drive around with their brights on then?

It was meant to be a joke, as there's been a few threads about people driving with their highs on recently, but obviously you are taken back by it so my appologies. Seriously.

[reply back in your own tone]

If you're going to try and make yourself look correct by looking for a flaw in someone elses text to twist around which was more of a yarn than anything, maybe you should stop taking the internet so seriously.

There's two sides to everything you know, I am allowed to state my findings seeing as how I have substantial first hand experience with 3 seperate vehicles. I provided legitimate insight onto my observations, and supplied a possible reason for premature bulb burnout.

Good Grief. Chill Out, like the weather.
    Travel

My Ride
    335i

Nothing wrong with silverstars. Some people have had luck with them, while others have not been as lucky. Each bulb comes with a 1 year warranty, however, so even if it does blow you can get a replacement with the packaging and original receipt.

I do know that they are one of the best bulbs you can get for under $30. If you expect your bulb to last longer than that, buy OEM.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I'm going on my third set in two different cars. They've all lasted about 1 year and they put out some good light.

I aimed them a little bit down and to the right and I've never had a problem with getting flashed.

My Ride

Originally posted by Ben

Thats funny, I know a lot of people who have never had a problem (people dont generally complain and raise a stink when they work now do they?)

Wow, I must have hit a nerve, are you one of those tools who drive around with their brights on then?

It was meant to be a joke, as there's been a few threads about people driving with their highs on recently, but obviously you are taken back by it so my appologies. Seriously.

[reply back in your own tone]

If you're going to try and make yourself look correct by looking for a flaw in someone elses text to twist around which was more of a yarn than anything, maybe you should stop taking the internet so seriously.

There's two sides to everything you know, I am allowed to state my findings seeing as how I have substantial first hand experience with 3 seperate vehicles. I provided legitimate insight onto my observations, and supplied a possible reason for premature bulb burnout.

Good Grief. Chill Out, like the weather.

It has nothing to do with how long the bulbs last, I could care less. And I dont really take Beyond that seriously either, I just saw some smartass comment follwing my post, so I replied.

My Ride
    FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY > ALL

hahaha ok everyone how about fuck halogen bulbs(piaas especially)...

i really don't see the point of piaa and bulbs with higher watts in general, they WILL burnout faster then your basic halogens. The coatings on the bulbs don't do fuck all besides full on rice. I'm not going to deny using them but i've realized how much they suck now and ppl raved it to such high reputations(silverstars). All in all if you like them great, but higher watts + blue/silver coatings=loose-loose situation. And $90-100 a pair... if you must then silverstars are your best choice, fuck piaa.

Man, it's hard for to imagine how people can get so offended in a thread about halogen bulbs.

Anyways, on my last car I had PIAA's and they lasted me over two years. That's when I sold my car so I have no idea how long they would have lasted in the end. They did have great light output, but the price was astronomical. Although I thought the PIAA's were one of the best performance wise, in hindsight if Silverstars were available in Calgary back then I would have went with them. Just in case they do burn out it's just not worth the money.

I just buy the regular halogen Hella bulbs. Nothing fancy, just higher wattage for better spread in the Euro housings.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulbs.asp

i'll agree that i've read a lot about silverstars being burnt out fast
    but i've only read the rsx sites since we use h1's and that makes it burn out even faster

however, i don't see how one can compare piaa's w/ silverstars
    the piaa's last much longer, and the higher end line looks 10x better imo

My Ride
    my legs

so do you guys reccomend PIAA's? Will any of there bulbs work with my car like the H4's when i currently have something like 9005's or 6's? Is it just plug and play with the H4's or does it not work like that?
    just think.....if things hadnt of gone the way they did, you could have been on your moms face.

My Ride
    335i

I think PIAAs are overkill at over $100/pair. Another hundred and you've got a used HID kit.

I'd stick with silverstars.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Personally I will stay w/ the PIAA since it still under warranty. IF you're looking for upgrade then maybe HID. OR if u just want to try a different color you can go with the MTEC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast