Quantcast
Cellphone through washer.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cellphone through washer....

My Ride
    ////M

Default Cellphone through washer....

Yea thats right.... in pants pocket... yea....

Anyways, is it possible for me to bring the cell back to life, or is she toast? Thanks
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

9.99/10 I think shes toast, has happened to me and a couple of my buddies a few times. try seperating the battry from the phone, and leave the phone open for a little while, then give it a try.

sorry to hear about the phone.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    2002 Acura 1.7EL

Was the phone on at the time it went through the washer? I think it would only survive if it was off. Let it completely dry first before powering it up. Good luck.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

remove the battery and take the phone appart, then rinse it with distilled water then let ti dry for about a week, it should work again, the only reason cells phones get ruined after going in through the was is because of the soap residue that stays behind and cuauses' short cicuits

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

bust out the blow dryer and get her dry fast, if you let it air dry, corrosion builds up, and can bridge connections and kill others, then when you boot it, she'll be cooked for sure.

I had a similar problem, and because it shorted the phone (it was on at the time) it cooked the flash memory.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=34190
    Travel

My Ride
    750Li

Originally posted by Ben
    bust out the blow dryer and get her dry fast, if you let it air dry, corrosion builds up, and can bridge connections and kill others, then when you boot it, she'll be cooked for sure.

I had a similar problem, and because it shorted the phone (it was on at the time) it cooked the flash memory.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=34190
    letting it sit wet is the worst thing you can do
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

pour alcohol all over it too clean it and displace the water...then after a few hours place it in a 100-150 degree oven

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

open it ALL up, rinse it all off, make sure all the soap gets off it (especially the pcb board, use a soft toothbrush if u need to), then blowdry it off quickly, give it about 1-2 hrs after blowdrying it to totally let it dry out...if its gona turn back on, that'll b ur best bet...if it doesnt work, its dead.

Umm more or less if u let it dry / remove the batter
    then take it apart
    Im sure your screen will get all messed up but thats about it
    It happen to a friend of mine, still works tho, just the screen has a massive waterline on it
    Just make sureits dry before trying to turn it on

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

mine fell out of my pocket and i found in the the morning after like 14 hours of getting rained on, it was vibrating like crazy and nothing worked properly, i just took the ol blow dryer out and shut it off let the dryer blow on it for like an hour, its fine now

My Ride
    335i

It's 99% done.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Not a Silvia.

Originally posted by Def_3
    letting it sit wet is the worst thing you can do
    I've brought several wet phones back from the dead, and that's the absolute truth. It's a coin-toss whether any phone that's been seriously soaked will ever work again, but there is a 'best-odds' way to deal with wet electronics.

When you realize your phone's been soaked, remove the battery ASAP. If you can't take the phone apart right away, put it in a ziplock until you can. This will keep the moisture from evaporating and forming the corrosion that creates shorts and dissolves circuitry. This is also the time to decide if you want to do this yourself - if it's worth taking it to a repair place please do it BEFORE you tear the thing apart. You could try to sneak it in under warranty, but water damage is usually obvious to any tech that looks at it.

If you decide to take the phone apart you'll need a real small screwdriver - usually a #00 Phillips or a #6 Torx (you probably won't have that one, a tiny hex key might work in a pinch). There may be screws hidden under rubber plugs or plastic snaps holding the case together, if the phone doesn't come right apart look for these before prying too hard. Take the phone apart as much as you safely can, but make sure to remember how it goes back together and try not to tear any ribbon cables or break any plastic tabs. Take a toothbrush, dip it in isopropyl alcohol, and go to town on any spots that have moisture or white/green corrosion built up on them. Pay extra attention to charger ports, earpiece jacks, and anywhere there's a open spot in the phone case. The goal is to not leave any crust that will bridge parts of the circuit that shouldn't be shorted together.

When you think you're done put it all back together, attach the battery, cross your fingers, and try to power it up. If it doesn't respond, try plugging in the charger and see if anything happens. If you get it going - hooray! If not, time to replace...