Quantcast
D Series To B Series Engine Swap?? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D Series To B Series Engine Swap??

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

yes, yes it was! but my family has owned this car since new, and there were just too many emotions attached with it. i'd like to keep it for as long as possible. besides, my old engine was going through a whole 4L of oil every month and had blown its second head gasket already. needed a new engine, so why not save up and put something extra in?

speaking of oil burners...beware of the infamous old blue-smoking vw's. and you're complaining about lack of horsepower? a jetta is probably just as low in #'s as a stock civic but with even more weight!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    2006 Chev Colbalt & 2000 Kawasaki ZX-9R

true enough... what tranny did you use.. well i guess mines dif cuz i would be getting a 96... but id like to put a b18b in it... maybe even build it up first... then the tranny?? ecu harness and linkage? hmmm... id have to go junk yard shopping.. haha

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

just the stock b18b hydro tranny. everything's stock from a teg on my car.

'96 civics also use hydro trannies so swapping in a b18b obd1 engine/tranny would be no prob in that. harness wise, everything should plug right in. no need to change harnesses. well, w. the exception of the engine harness itself, but the required one should already be connected to the engine.

back in early october, i heard there were 3 newer tegs sitting at pick your part. but i highly doubt everything's there still. haven't made a trip there myself, probably 'cause i'm over here in Saskatoon, but give them a shot.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

awww...no more late night replies Mike?

i forgot to add, i think you may be mistaken in that you cannot reuse the d16 tranny from the civic with the b18 engine. they just don't fit (i think). if you were to swap the engine, it's without saying that the tranny gets swapped with it. and like i said before, both engine and tranny should cost ~$1500. but if you want axles, shift linkage, etc, etc. it'll cost a good $2000 or so.

anywho, gotta get back to my last minute assignment. good luck with your selection! let us know what happens!

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

you can't put a d-series tranny on a b-series. figure $500-1000 for a decent tranny.

My Ride

gpomp... what did you do... i noticed you have a 95 civic.. im lost in my thought process.. heres the breif... looking at trading a 94 integra for a 96 civic and 2k... would you do it.. and if so.. what would you do performance wise to the civic? i just want something fun to drive and have the power to pass people.. 102hp might not cut it....

My Ride

what wsould i need to put this in my car? 96 civic???

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=105663

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by mike_papps
    gpomp... what did you do... i noticed you have a 95 civic.. im lost in my thought process.. heres the breif... looking at trading a 94 integra for a 96 civic and 2k... would you do it.. and if so.. what would you do performance wise to the civic? i just want something fun to drive and have the power to pass people.. 102hp might not cut it....
    102hp is not enough for anything useful. turbo d15 is faster but not as fun to drive as an NA b18b. there are other (reliability) issues involved with putting a turbo onto the d-series and it will cost closer to $1500- 2000.

what wsould i need to put this in my car? 96 civic???

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=105663
    on a 96, i suggest keeping stock Y7 motor and changing over the intake manifold from the B7. then you can bolt up the manifold, turbo, etc and then figure out how to control the fuel. you will need an obd2->obd1 conversion harness and a chipped obd1 ecu. stock injectors should hold up fine with those power levels but might be worth upgrading to dsm's.

My Ride

is it worth it? or should i say screw it and keep the integra... i need the money and think i can downgrade but i dont wanna lose everything.. i mean.. why would i trade for a civic plus cash just to sink that cash back into it and be at the same point... ??? idk.. maybe ill just buy like a 78 monte carlo and rip shit in that... i wish i could find a civic hb trade + cash... then id be good to go...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

From an economical point of view, just keep what you have for now. Changing cars and swapping and/or boosting can cost quite a fair bit of money, unless you're willing to do ALL the work yourself. But don't forget also, you'll have all the paperwork with insurance/gov't to deal with, which could cost a fair bit if you're already strapped for cash.

Just keep your car for now, and there's no need to upgrade / downgrade. Besides, taking money OUT of a car really doesn't do much financially, unless you're parting it altogether. I'd say just hang on to it, and when you're more financially stable, then think about changing cars and/or modding.

My $0.02...over a series of 10 posts that is...

EDIT: Just found your FS thread and took a look at your car. Nicely done up I'd have to say, even if you didn't do it yourself. It'd be a shame to give up more or less a mercedes for a chrysler! Same car, just one's better (yeah, yeah, I'm opinionated, don't flame me for it). Your rims look nice if you're trying to sell parts off of it for cash. Do a trade for winter tires or something?

And like you said before, what's the point of downgrading a car, and putting all the money back into it? It's not going to get you anywhere, other than have a different car to drive, and leave your bank account likely less than where it already is.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 11-16-2005 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride

thanks fer yur help guys.... i dunno.. just kinda strapped for cash.. i guess i could sell the prelude or the crotchrocket too... or maybe the wheels... idk... im just kinda bored of the integra.. need something different and fun to work on...

My Ride
    335i

gpomp realized that the d series just didn't cut it...and now he's rockin the b
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

It depends what you want and power goals.

A "B series" engine is the stronger engine of choice but the "D series" is just as good. Again, it depends the amount power you wish to see -- which drives up the cost

To save money the swap from D to B is not that difficult at all. But like anything if you've never done it, it will bite you.

I'll prob get flamed but a Civic HB IMO isn't a great choice for a daily car. It's more of a fun ongoing project car.

My Ride

im looking at the 96 which is a 96 4 door....

My Ride

hmmm.... i can get a b18a1 fr 300 and tranny for 200... just need axls...among other stuff haha

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

you need a b18b. where did you find a tranny for $200???

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

the b18a1 uses a cable tranny, and therefore requires the use of a cable tranny. after 92, all civics were changed to use hydraulic trannies, including the ek's which you've been looking at. in other words, by the time you put on parts to adapt a cable tranny for use in an originally hydro-trannied car, the costs would be relatively the same as buying a hydro-tranny engine/tranny in the first place.

on the other hand though, those prices are quite cheap, but searching for appropriate axles, finding the conversion kit, etc. will take quite a bit of time that it's almost worth the extra money to buy something that fits in the first place. and did i mention, if you can't do it yourself, or have a buddy who can, it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to pay someone?

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

screw it and keep the teggy, toss on a few bolt ons as money comes in, maybe some suspension upgrades to uppp the fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2