Quantcast
D Series To B Series Engine Swap?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D Series To B Series Engine Swap??

My Ride
    2006 Chev Colbalt & 2000 Kawasaki ZX-9R

Default D Series To B Series Engine Swap??

Hey all... looking at a 96 civic and it currently has a over km d series engine in it... I wanna swap it for a b18... probably just the non vtec version cuz its gonna be way easier going non vtec to non vtec then straight to vtec... anyway.. what all do i need in order to do this swap? what should i purchase and what can i still use from the current civic.. do i have to change tranny and clutch? wiring harness? ecu? all that stuff?

Thanks Guys...

Mike

My Ride
    335i

You'll need a new tranny, engine, ecu, harness, axles, misc parts, and a couple of days to install. Shoaib at JDM source is your best friend for this swap, as he can get you everything you'll need at a super price.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

well with that in mind should i do the swap to a b series... it will give me just a bit more hp then the current engine.. or should i just turbo the d series setup instead of spending all that time on n/a.... i like n/a because its more reliable but turbos are fun...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

it's hard to find a complete b18 non-vtec.

and also keep in mind that a stock b-series would not even compare with a boosted d series. That would be just as reliable as n/a with the proper tuning/building.

My Ride
    335i

The B Series would leave a lot of options open. An EG with a B18 is fun, but it also leaves the option to turbo later. A turbo d-series will be quicker, but its also far more limiting.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

im not looking at the b series to turbo it... thats too much in the end... what kind of numbers would i be pushing with a d series setup turbo wise? on average? like 8 psi saftly im guessing with this motor...

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

If the d-series is already over-km'd, why risk the chance of blowing that, and end up eventually having to swap a new engine in anyway?

Seems like best bet is to just go for a b18b swap right now. But as mentioned before, it'll be hard to find a complete swap. Try asking around on the forum, and see if someone has a wrecked teg they're willing to part. And if such comes by, as was the case for me, you can pick up other parts off of it as well! I picked up all 4 discs as well as engine/tranny, axles, shift-linkage, ecu, and whatever else was needed.

Takes some time to search for what you need though, but if you're wanting to keep the car for some time after, swapping is the most reliable bet, and is worth the extra effort. And don't forget the added potential of boosting that later on! (Just don't go overboard like gpomp did for his... )

I do vaguely remember Shoiab at JDMSource had a friend/customer who swapped in a b18c1 (gsr) into their teg and had the b18b left over that Shoiab tried selling to me. I don't know how complete it was, but hey, that gives you a start!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride

how hard is the swap to b18? and isnt that only 142hp?

My Ride
    (s13 p.o.s 3years +) 97 pathfinder

sawp is ez...and i think it should have around 130-140 i dunno

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Originally posted by mike_papps
    how hard is the swap to b18? and isnt that only 142hp?
    Took about 10 hrs for mine, but required me to run around town for another day looking for miscellaneous parts. Mind you, I took on the so called impossible task, and some might say waste of money task, of putting in power steering into an originally non-power steering equipped car.

Yes, it's got less power than a boosted d-series. But hey, if km's are high on the d-series, sure, you may have some fun for awhile, but shortly after, you'll need to replace the engine anyway. Of course, you could always replace it with another lower km'd d-series.

Oh, and it depends on how you drive. If you rev high every shift, then a turbo might interest you. But if you're like me and shift at 4000rpm max, then a naturally torquier engine (b18b) will be better.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride

actually im not sure.. i guess i shift high sometimes but keep it low too... i can get a replacment engine for like 600 with 80000kms... d series... then the turbo kit for probably 1k... a b series would probably cost me at least 2k if i get good deals on the engine and tranny... i have a 94 integra right now and i dont mind the power.. i like it... but the civic will be lighter.. i dont race very much but i like to have power when i wanna..

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

A teg engine/tranny and necessary parts should be no more than $2k. Probably around the $1500 range, but depends what other extras you may want.

A torquier engine will be a better everyday car, but a boosted one will be more fun and possibly a better race car (to a certain extent).

Yeah, Civic's are lighter, but I don't notice much of a diff btw. mine and driving a teg. Probably 'cause of my too big 17s on there.

My Ride

oh and not to mention i have 18's.... mybe i can just build up my engine... n/a... i dont know im so lost... haha... im trading my 94 teg for a 96 civic and 2k... maybe i should just keep my teg.. haha..

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

hahaha...now you're sounding more reasonable! those 2 newer years on a car doesn't make much of a difference. unless of course you've been dying to own a civic.

My Ride

i love hb civics... but i dont mind the civic either... and could use the cash... but i know the 106hp civic isnt close to the 142 integra...and come on... what was honda thinking with 106hp? haha... isnt that a lawnmower? anyway... idk...

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

could use the cash, hey? then why the idea of doing a swap or a boost??

hahaha...my old d15 had i think 102hp??

My Ride

and what do you got going now?

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

ahem... i thought i made it clear already, stock b18b... might boost it in the near future, but don't wanna end up being gpomp's twin. mind you, he got the boosted b18b idea from me like 3 years ago!!!

My Ride

and for you it was worth it? i also have a trade for a 94 jetta... plus 2k.... hmmm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast