Quantcast
Q: PC Case Fans - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Q: PC Case Fans

Default Q: PC Case Fans

Are my pc case fans suppose to suck air out of the case ? or is it suppose to blow air in to the case?

I have 2 fans what can i do to reduce my pc temperture instead of installing fans or water cooling system?

would it help if i drill holes on the front part of the case?
    IT Support for Business and Home Users
    PM for some free advice.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Air should enter the front of the case and exit through the back, AFAIK. Is your computer overheating?

My setup has a front fan intake and a rear fan exhausting out. Seems to work okay.

If you have only one fan, then it exhausts air.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Q: PC Case Fans

Originally posted by MaDpOo
    Are my pc case fans suppose to suck air out of the case ? or is it suppose to blow air in to the case?

I have 2 fans what can i do to reduce my pc temperture instead of installing fans or water cooling system?

would it help if i drill holes on the front part of the case?
    What you want is smooth airflow. Remember, hot air rises. So, all the hot air will be at the top of the case. It's better to have a fan VENT at the top (blow air out of the case) and have a fan INDUCT at the bottom (suck air into the case).

If you want to mod your case, put a BLOWHOLE in the top (cut a section away about the size of the circle of the fan, drill some holes for mounting, and mount the fan to the top of the case). Make sure that the induction fan actually gets cool air (ventilation via holes or whatever).

Hell, for $100 you can get a case with this pre-done.

umm my pc tem is at 41 C i duno if thats over heat but sounds pretty hot....
    PM for some free advice.

my temps are 23 C mb and 25 C cpu at idle and 39 C at 100 percent load

and my ambient temp is 21 C

so im sayin its pretty good!

my cpu is also overclocked at 2.56 ghz from my 2.0 ghz cpu!!
    so im sayin its pretty darn good!

i have 2 intake fans 2 exhaust fans
    one exhaust fan is a 120 mm fan and another exhaust fan is on the psu

whats ur setup for ur fans?
    PM for some free advice.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Default Re: Re: Q: PC Case Fans

Originally posted by A790

What you want is smooth airflow. Remember, hot air rises. So, all the hot air will be at the top of the case. It's better to have a fan VENT at the top (blow air out of the case) and have a fan INDUCT at the bottom (suck air into the case).

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...ctID=3844&SID=
    That is the case i have. It has 2 fans up front , one on the side, and one on the top. They are all suckers, and the empty space for 2 more in the rear acts like a vent.
    Its gettin hella dusty in my case cuz its on a carpeted ground. Can I put on a fan on the rear of the case...backwards? that would act like a vacuum?

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

what processor do you have?

I have found that AMD's run 10-20 degrees hotter than intel's

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Default Re: Re: Re: Q: PC Case Fans

Originally posted by Godfuader

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...=3844&SID=
    That is the case i have. It has 2 fans up front , one on the side, and one on the top. They are all suckers, and the empty space for 2 more in the rear acts like a vent.
    Its gettin hella dusty in my case cuz its on a carpeted ground. Can I put on a fan on the rear of the case...backwards? that would act like a vacuum?
    i have the same case, you should have the fron 2 and the side one as intake and the top and 2 rear fans as exhaust (equal airflow in and out, 3 in, 3 out)... the reason it gets so dusty is because you have way more airflow one way than the other... therefore the dust gets sucked in and just settles. i only have to blow out my computer like once a year... and its on 24/7 and sits on a board on a carpeted floor.
    Last edited by Thaco; 11-21-2005 at 01:38 PM.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Q: PC Case Fans

Originally posted by Thaco

i have the same case, you should have the fron 2 and the side one as intake and the top and 2 rear fans as exhaust (equal airflow in and out, 3 in, 3 out)... the reason it gets so dusty is because you have way more airflow one way than the other... therefore the dust gets sucked in and just settles. i only have to blow out my computer like once a year... and its on 24/7 and sits on a board on a carpeted floor.
    how would i make the top one an exhaust? put it in backwards? is there a special fan that would act like an exhaust. what if i remove the top one and install it in the rear...leaving the top just as an open vent?
    How do u like the case? i cant sleep with it on...12 LEDs just on the fans. Lights up my room like crazy.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

my computer keeps restarting...

i virus scaned it with mc afee internet suit 8 which scans for spyware ad ware and all that

error docotor

scaned basily everything

i duno why it is doing this...

i have reformated my computer a couple of timez already
    sometimes it would say my file is missing and all i do is retry and it works

my cpu is at 35-40C

any clue guys? i did the worm.irc scan too....

Stats
    AMD Athlon 1800+
    768 MB DDR
    Direct X9.0c
    Windows XP + Update + SP2 Version
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB
    100GB HardDrive With Lots Of Free Space

3 intake fans 35-40C

McAfee internet suit 8.0

Everything Up to date
    PM for some free advice.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

uhmm i bought my case premade with 2 premounted fans, they both blow inwards, one is on the side glass window while the other is mounted on the top

My Ride
    Rage2

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q: PC Case Fans

how would i make the top one an exhaust? put it in backwards? is there a special fan that would act like an exhaust. what if i remove the top one and install it in the rear...leaving the top just as an open vent?
    How do u like the case? i cant sleep with it on...12 LEDs just on the fans. Lights up my room like crazy.
    i like the case, it is rather loud stock, but i replaced all the fans with silent fans so its no issue, plus its in a cupboard thingy, so its okay for me...

if you want to reverse the fan just unscreq it and flip it around and screw it back on... with your setup i would leave the top fan, just flip it, and move the side one to the back as exhaust. (or just buy 2 more fans, they are cheap.)

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q: PC Case Fans

Originally posted by Thaco

i like the case, it is rather loud stock, but i replaced all the fans with silent fans so its no issue, plus its in a cupboard thingy, so its okay for me...

if you want to reverse the fan just unscreq it and flip it around and screw it back on... with your setup i would leave the top fan, just flip it, and move the side one to the back as exhaust. (or just buy 2 more fans, they are cheap.)
    thnx...just saw how they can be installed upside down.
    now how do i check the internal temp, like the motherboard monitor or something (baby steps). this way i can see the difference. I have the ASUS K8V-X motherboard

reseat your heatsink for your processor
    if your overclocking turn the settings back to default

reseat? what do u mean? like re position the heat sink of the processor?

k i did it... (all i did was remove heat sink and processor out of the spot and putting it back in the same way it came out) there was something on my processer that was silver i duno what it was but some pilled off when i removed the heat sink ... my comp still works but i dun get how it would help or how it does ....
    Last edited by MaDpOo; 11-22-2005 at 02:11 AM.
    PM for some free advice.

My Ride
    Rage2

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Q: PC Case Fans

thnx...just saw how they can be installed upside down.
    now how do i check the internal temp, like the motherboard monitor or something (baby steps). this way i can see the difference. I have the ASUS K8V-X motherboard
    asus has a monitoring program that should ahve come with the board, you can also download a whole whack of programs, the most popular being motherboard monitor

that grey crap on your cpu is thermal compound... its basically a heat conductive goo that aids the heat to get from your cpu to the heatsink, make sure there is a good amount of this on there.

pull off your heatsink and clean the goo off with 99 % rubbing alcohol, clean the cpu too

apply thermal compound, i suggest artic silver 5 or the cerimaque stuff

frostyda9 Guest

Originally posted by GQBalla
    pull off your heatsink and clean the goo off with 99 % rubbing alcohol, clean the cpu too

apply thermal compound, i suggest artic silver 5 or the cerimaque stuff
    Yeah, but don't use too much compound. All the compound does is aid the transfer of heat but filling in the tiny porosities in the heatsink and CPU die interface. More often than not, people that do this for the first time use way too much and it ends up acting as an insulator. The layer of compound should be no thicker than a sheet of paper.

As for the case fans, as posted earlier, you want to try and maximize the smooth flow of air in and out. Front fans and side fans should pull air in. The side fan isn't so much of a case fan as it is a fresh supply of air for the GPU (vid card). The rears and top, if equipped, should push air out of the case.

If you find your case is excessively dusty, it is caused by too much negative pressure (too many fans blowing out and not enough blowing air in). Adding more positive pressure (inward blowing fans) will reduce the dust, but increases the chance of unwanted air turbulence in the case, which can cause heating problems of it's own. The best thing to do is just experiment and find a happy medium
    Last edited by frostyda9; 11-23-2005 at 07:59 PM.