Quantcast
*coyotes*cowboys Id Scanner - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: *coyotes*cowboys Id Scanner

My Ride
    Juiced n' Stroked GT35R 4G63, C6 Z06

Default *coyotes*cowboys Id Scanner

hey i was wondering if anyone has any information on what happened with the pennylane bars scanning id's? i guess they got sued for it. If anyone has a link to an article about it that would be extra helpfull
    thanks!

My Ride
    335i

A complaint was filed with the privacy commission. Vickers voluntarily removed it.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Eclipse

They used it last week.. when was it removed??
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride

yeah no shit haha

sweet, now the gangbangers won't have to hang out at my apartment every weekend.

bad idea

Nightclubs owned by a Calgary company are breaking Alberta's privacy legislation by scanning patrons' photo ID at the door, a provincial investigation has determined.

The finding by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner isn't binding, but it could ultimately force Penny Lane Entertainment Group to cease collecting personal information from patrons and destroy any data it has already amassed from customers.

The ruling stems from a complaint made by Nyall Engfield, a U of C law student who objected to having his driver's licence scanned as he entered Tantra Nightclub last spring.

"I feel vindicated," Engfield said from Ottawa, where he is finishing his law degree.

"A decision like this protects consumer interests in general."

If Penny Lane doesn't voluntarily comply with the commission's recommendations, Engfield, 31, has applied to have the case heard by the province's privacy commissioner, whose findings are binding.

The SecureClub system used by Penny Lane since 2002 records personal information from patrons' ID and stores it in a database.

The information can be used to determine who was inside an establishment in the event of violence, or to red flag known troublemakers so staff can keep them out.

Penny Lane president Paul Vickers was not available for comment Monday.

The privacy commission said Penny Lane contravened Alberta's Personal Information Protection Act because it couldn't demonstrate how collecting personal information was a reasonable step toward ensuring safety within its establishments.

"It is our view that patron and staff safety and security may be a legitimate, if not pressing, need in this particular industry," the commission wrote in its report, dated Oct. 21.

"However, we disagree that (Penny Lane) has demonstrated a 'legitimate issue' with respect to violence in its establishment that needed to be addressed by way of this extensive collection and permanent retention of personal information."

Instead, the commission said Penny Lane used anecdotal evidence to justify its stance, while hard data from Statistics Canada document a decline in violent crime in Calgary and across Canada.

The commission noted, as well, that the company told investigators there has never been a shooting or stabbing inside Tantra.

However, Calgary's nightclub scene has been witness to three recent homicides -- two of which occurred outside clubs on the 1st Street S.W. bar strip.

The third slaying happened earlier this year inside the Warehouse on 10th Avenue S.W., when a group of men forced their way onto a crowded dance floor and killed 33-year-old Long Duc (Dino) Dinh.

Although none of the clubs connected to those cases are owned by his company, Vickers has added several safety measures at Penny Lane establishments such as Tantra, Coyotes and Cowboys Dance Hall. In addition to SecureClub, the premises also use surveillance cameras, airport-style metal detectors and off-duty police officers.

"Had the installation of the SecureClub system proven effective at addressing the perceived issues, these additional measures would have been unnecessary," the commission wrote.

The commission also questioned the scanning system's effectiveness, considering door staff at Tantra can allow certain patrons entry through a VIP entrance without having them turn over their ID.

My Ride
    Model S

source?

I remember seeing Vickers on the 6 'o clock news "rigorously " defending the id scanners saying they were for the best. This was after he vowed to install metal detectors in all his clubs.

Further proof that he is a fucking twat.

Originally posted by googe
    source?
    Calgary Herald.

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgar...0-50a73875dc98

Calgary,Alberta / Raleigh,NC / Kortrijk, Belgium
    My Ride
    01-BMW-330ci , 96-Spoon-EK

Nice. Don't need Big Brother watching everywhere I go...
    My Favorite Animal is Steak

Fatboy's 330ci

Fatboy's Spoon EK

I don't understand all the fuss.. If you don't have anything to hide, what's the problem?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by l8braker
    I don't understand all the fuss.. If you don't have anything to hide, what's the problem?
    I agree can't wait to see more fights inside of coyotes now..
    WOOHOO
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Originally posted by Kobe

I agree can't wait to see more fights inside of coyotes now..
    WOOHOO
    now only if they were catfights..

these devices are just what clubs need IMO.

Dont fuck around and you have nothing to worry about....

i dont see how this is a violation anyways these are private clubs if you want to get in you have to play by their rules

My Ride
    Model S

"if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" is such a terrible argument. i dont keep tabs on where paul vickers goes and when, he doesnt need to keep tabs on me either.

^ Yea, well it's the truth.

My Ride

Originally posted by l8braker
    all your info is saved, picture signature etc. if the wrong person gets ahold of pennylane database say goodnight to your bankaccount and identity.

people entering clubs with weapons, and the intent to harm others and your worried about identity theft. bizarre.

My Ride
    335i

This does absolutely nothing to prevent crime. Think of the thousands of individual IDs they do every week - do you think they will be able to actually identify the trouble makers and keep them out? Bullshit, unless they are able to force them to give their IDs after causing problems.

It's more likely that they use the info to target your home for advertisements. Vickers is a smart guy and probably wouldn't hesitate to send junk mail to his target audience or sell the info to companies who do.

I personally do not want condom and alcohol advertisements to come to my house after going to a bar.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Model S

weapon_r knows how it works

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast