Quantcast
Low Budget / No Budget Lighting Studio - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low Budget / No Budget Lighting Studio

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Default Low Budget / No Budget Lighting Studio

So, I've been hooked on lighting lately, and I figured it was time to create some sort of miniature lighing studio for myself. I also wanted backdrops of different colours that could be changed easily. However, my budget for the project was approximately $0, so I needed to come up with something extremely cheap and simple. And it had to be made out of stuff I already had, if possible. To make matters worse, I had almost no space to work with! This is what I have created:

It's very, very simple. The changeable backdrops are the backsides of colourful T-shirts that I had sitting around. (One white, one green, one orange, and one black.) These can be found at Value Villiage for a pittance, and can be found in a rainbow of colours. They are held to the wall with duct tape (the photographer's secret weapon) and I "switch" between colours by holding the upper layers to the wall with (you guessed it) more duct tape! The only shortfall to this system is that the shirts can wrinkle, which is easily sovled with a common household clothing iron. In fact, moulding the shirts can have some interesting shadow effects that I intend to make use of.

Lighting comes from two common desk lamps, one with a light diffuser attached (read: piece of paper held on with electrical tape because I left the duct tape in the other room). Both lights are easily positioned and angled. Adding more light sources is as easy as a trip to Ikea.

The other essential bit is the tripod. I already had one, but anyone can buy a cheap but quite serviceable one for $20-$30. Heck, anyone half interested in photography should have one anyway.

The results of the setup are not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I would have a better guage of quality if I had a DSLR and could compare to other studio lights, but I don't, so I can't. Here's 5 images I took today, they're pretty simple:

Feel free to give me some comments/criticizm, etc. Future plans involve more lights and a reflector made of (what else?) duct tape!

My Ride
    Kenworth diesel CRX

I like it. I tried something similar but I used a coffee filter as a diffuser. I thought about making a reflector out of an old umbrella and some metalic paint, but havent got around to it yet.
    Have you thought about going to the craft store and buying cloth for your backdrops? Some will sell it a yard at a time and will cost pennys per color.

You have inspired me, I think I might see what I can come up with.

Is this the settup you used to take the headphones pic?
    Last edited by Newk; 12-28-2005 at 09:33 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Great idea!

The only thing I don't like about it is the strong shadows. You might try a couple more lights, or move the sources to where the object blocks the shadow from being in the picture.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

looks good, but...iron that cloth!, that or get something a bit more silkier that u wont have to worry about it creasing up. definately a good idea tho, i think also adding the duct tape reflectors and another light source as mentioned above will make it look even better.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Newk

Is this the settup you used to take the headphones pic?
    Sort of. It was the same area on my desk and I used one of the lights to set up the shot, but I built the "studio" afterwrds.

Originally posted by benyl
    Great idea!

The only thing I don't like about it is the strong shadows. You might try a couple more lights, or move the sources to where the object blocks the shadow from being in the picture.
    Yeah, a couple more lights are the next purchase. I'm thinking of maybe adding an overhead LED light with some tinfoil to focus the beam for "spotlight" shots.

Originally posted by soupey
    looks good, but...iron that cloth!, that or get something a bit more silkier that u wont have to worry about it creasing up. definately a good idea tho, i think also adding the duct tape reflectors and another light source as mentioned above will make it look even better.
    Yeah, I need to get my iron back from whoever I lent it to. A silkier cloth is a good idea, and I'd like some different colours. I think the green and orange are too loud and obnoxious and take away from the subject. Thinner material would also make things easier as I could put up more colours.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

HAHAHA!

Ingenious! I'm with benyl on the shadows comment. It could definitely use an extra lamp or two! I find myself using a kleenex tissue as a diffuser quite often, held with an elastic band. I actually think it gives me a better effect than my softbox! hahaa

Construction paper makes for good backdrops. Also check fabric stores for scraps and excess inventory.

My Ride
    AI Servo

i definitely give you props for trying this out!

the issue that everyone is talking about is due to your hard light source. look how the edges of the shadows are very crisp. now there's nothing wrong with this style of lighting but i think you could benefit from bounce lighting which is softer and more pleasing to the eye. furthermore, you also get a bit more fill lighting in the shadow areas.

a very cheap solution is to buy a number of white foam core cards and build a light box for under $20. i could go on and explain how i did it but jyoseph does a way better job.

http://www.jyoseph.com/extras/lightbox_tutorial.php

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Wow, that's a great tutorial! Time to make a trip to Home Depot...

My Ride
    '09 STi

I like the wrench one becuase of the rust on the metal with orange back drop.

My Ride
    AI Servo

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Wow, that's a great tutorial! Time to make a trip to Home Depot...
    staples. they have a 3pack that is slightly cheaper than buying them individually.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Thanks for the tip, but I meant Home Depot for the lights.

My Ride
    Kenworth diesel CRX

I picked up the supplies this morning, Ill let you know how it goes.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Right on, be sure to post your results!

My Ride
    Kenworth diesel CRX

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Right on, be sure to post your results!
    Of course. The only had 2 of the 100 watt, 8.5" construction lights but I'm sure it will still turn out good.

My Ride
    Infiniti

i bought a poster board, $ .44, USD

My Ride
    Kenworth diesel CRX

I think I might need the other 2 lights, or I'm a clueless noob who needs a swift kick in the head. Either way here is the first shot with the homade light box.

My Ride
    Kenworth diesel CRX

I would suggest having an extra set of hands around when you try this.

My Ride
    Infiniti

ok, so here it is, a white poster board, two desk lamps with a 60 watt and a *ahem* 20 watt bulb, you can see the rest in the latest pic thread

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Looks great so far, guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast