Quantcast
Getting a new vehicle, need to know the ropes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Getting a new vehicle, need to know the ropes

Default Getting a new vehicle, need to know the ropes

Well I'm going to buy a brand spanking new truck in the next few weeks as my lifestyle and upcoming biology master's have necessitated me getting something a little more capable off road. I've never bought a new vehicle before, so how much can I realistically expect to talk the dealer down off the sticker price. Its unbelieveable how much a new 4x4 costs and for the trucks I'm looking at, destination and GST bring the price up at least 3 grand in each case and put a couple models out of my price range. Any advice?
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    SlowBalt

What type of truck are you looking at?

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Titan
    or Canyon/Colorado

Frontier is top choice, but it comes to over 33 grand after taxes and destination

Second choice is a Colorado/Canyon

I may also get a very slightly used Ranger if the perfect one falls in my lap, since they drop about 10 grand within the first year.

No fullsize trucks, too expensive to fuel and lack of manual trannies in the case of Japanese ones.

so are you selling the 96 Volvo?

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Really depends on wher you're buying at foreign dealeships they will be far more stingy interms of moving on price but at domestics they are more desperate.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    96 Mystic Cobra and 96 Mustang GT

drive upto fort mac or another big oil town, im sure trucks are HELLA cheaper.

Originally posted by AJL
    so are you selling the 96 Volvo?
    yup, pm me if interested

Looked at trucks the other day and the comparably equipped colorado is at least 2 grand cheaper than the frontier with the GM incentives. Nissan was only willing to move a few hundred dollars. Screw GM though, when taking into account the depreciation and quality of the vehicle, the frontier is a far superior vehicle.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Just to ask; why does it have to be new? It'll take a lot less investment to go for a truck that's 2000+ and should still run well.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I bought an 05 Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 (everything possible except leather) with the "Employee Pricing" and the sticker was like $31k.

14,000 km on it and not a single problem yet, I've been pretty happy with build quality, and I actually liked the interior setup better than the Nissans.

I basically went with the GM because of it's cheap price and 0.9% financing over 60 months. Nissan was offering 3.9% at the time and Toyota was 5.9%. That makes a big difference too.

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

Originally posted by Drsuce
    drive upto fort mac or another big oil town, im sure trucks are HELLA cheaper.
    not true they are a lot more fucking expensive. Guy up here making $60+/hour, why not bump the truck price up more.

Most young guys that odnt make so much drive to edmonton to buy thier vehicle cuz its too expensive up here.

My Ride
    96 Mystic Cobra and 96 Mustang GT

that works i guess, woulda thought it would be the other way around...

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Think carefully about this. Resale value and the "quality" will be meaningless if you spend every penny you have on something that isn't suited to the task at hand. For 33K (if thats where you set you limit) you could buy a slightly used truck with factory warranty remaining, all the toys including 4X4 and have a properly suited truck for the job at hand.

Just imagine how frustrating it will be if you get stuck in your 2wd little pickup. Thats not only gonna cost you to get it out. But the downtime from not working will also kill you.

Also don't count much on resale of a work truck. Chances are if it was used for work (heavy loads, off-roading, hard driving, mileage, etc. etc.) there won't be much left of it in the end anyway (import or not). Save your money. If its a work truck - buy domestic. If you wanna cruise the streets buy import.

That said. Don't be afraid to walk away from a dealership. There is always a way for those greasy salesman to save you some money you just need to make them work for you.

We've had hundreds to thousands knocked off the trucks we purchased for work purposes. The more expensive the truck, the more room to move in price.

01 Sierra 2500<--spare
    03 Sierra 2500HD<--mine
    05 Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4<--my old man's

Gotta say. I love trucks. Everytime I drive mine there is so much less to worry about than when I drive the mustang. A little wear and tear just adds character to a truck. A little wear on the tear on the mustang makes me (i'm talking paint chips, door dings, etc. etc.)
    Last edited by NickGT; 12-31-2005 at 12:38 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"