Quantcast
Protein drinks-long term affects? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein drinks-long term affects?

My Ride
    jap twins

Default Protein drinks-long term affects?

long term affects? well im currently drinking "MEGA MASS WEIGHT GAIN DRINK MIX". just started a couple days ago... taking it 3x a day... and also taking 1 multivitamin a day(MEGA MEN)... and my friends been telling me if i drink it alot that in the future my kidneys might fail on me, also if i take to many vitamins? just wondering if it will? trying to gain some weight, but dont want it to kill me in the long run... im 18... and ive been working out everyday so far... and will continue... and if anybody has also tried MEGA MASS... wondering how well it work on u guys?

-thanks in advance

My Ride
    '07 Mustang/'05 R6 Raven

instead of that go to A&W, eat 4 cheeseburgers and then go to denny's and get a grand slam...SLAM IT!!!!!!!

i've never heard about kidney failure from protein though

but stuff like those "mass builders" in the powder form are usually just bad sugars that build bad mass. i don't use that stuff i'm at about 6 meals a day with egg whites, tuna, peanut butter and chicken. in about a month i've gone from 140 to 165 and i don't look fat (like i did when i was 170 last year), the mass is gaining evenly as i work out. i'm kind of a noob when it comes to working out as i only started a few months ago but my good friend is a personal trainer at the glencoe and he's been helping me out a lot.
    Epicoque Racing
    Powered by: Peniston Lubricants

1-Cent is offline If you want to sell shit buy a fucking banner

Default Re: Protein drinks-long term affects?

Originally posted by djhi9hlit3
    long term affects? well im currently drinking "MEGA MASS WEIGHT GAIN DRINK MIX". just started a couple days ago... taking it 3x a day... and also taking 1 multivitamin a day(MEGA MEN)... and my friends been telling me if i drink it alot that in the future my kidneys might fail on me, also if i take to many vitamins? just wondering if it will? trying to gain some weight, but dont want it to kill me in the long run... im 18... and ive been working out everyday so far... and will continue... and if anybody has also tried MEGA MASS... wondering how well it work on u guys?

-thanks in advance
    The only people who have to think about limiting protien intake for that reason are those with a pre-existing kidney disorder, if you aren't currently being treated for failing kidneys don't worry about it.

Originally posted by retro-steve
    instead of that go to A&W, eat 4 cheeseburgers and then go to denny's and get a grand slam...SLAM IT!!!!!!!

i've never heard about kidney failure from protein though

but stuff like those "mass builders" in the powder form are usually just bad sugars that build bad mass. i don't use that stuff i'm at about 6 meals a day with egg whites, tuna, peanut butter and chicken. in about a month i've gone from 140 to 165 and i don't look fat (like i did when i was 170 last year), the mass is gaining evenly as i work out. i'm kind of a noob when it comes to working out as i only started a few months ago but my good friend is a personal trainer at the glencoe and he's been helping me out a lot.
    Holy crap buddy, 25lbs in a month. Thats crazy!

High protein intake can cause strain on your kidneys. That was one concern about the Atkins Diet. Long term affects may include kidney damage due to the excessive amounts of protein in that diet. Do some more research.
    heloc that shit

For you to have too much protein that your kidney's can't digest it, you would have to eat A LOT of protein.

My Ride
    Lamborgotti Fasterossa XT 550

And obviously the dood that sold you the the gainer never told you how to correctly take it. For one the mega mass you should take 2 scoops in between meals so close to 3 hours hours apart from yer meals to stabalize yer metobolism, giving you similar to 6 meals a day, one of the shakes being closer to bed time and maybe even after your workouts. Garbage gainer btw 52 grams of whey concentrate/isolate and 89 grams of carbs for 84.99/ 67.99 with yer gold card for 30 servings in the 10 lb tub meaning it would last ya 15 days if taken recomended, and the fact that it might not even be a 50/50 ratio of concentrate to isolate, it's probaly more of a 70/30 mix. You would have been better of with an optimum protien for 49.99 for 5 pounds giving you 40 servings and having some fruit with it. How sad GNC has dooped another person. I love how they sucker you in with a good selection of products (at high prices) and then tell you you hafta have a multi vitamin, not just any a mega men or ultra mega for woman it hasta be thiers cause it's high potency etc etc. if yer taking 1 a day it's useless. Your body has a saftey to flush every 4 to 6 hours. If you took it bright and early in the morning by noon it down the shitter, you just wasted 39.99/ 31.99 with yer gold card, lets see how neon yellow yer piss is!!!! Not to mention in order to get the best price, buy thier Gold card which gives you 20% off. The card probaly cost 1 dollar to make. Next time your in there ask the person your dealing with what thier credentials are and what thier last job was. Half the idiots useta work for a fast food joint or a job that has nothing to do with the industry. So if you bought a multi and a mega mass you just made the guy like 5 bucks commison. Thier glamorized sales people. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this post, because there are alot of GNC shoppers here, you put this shit into your body, do you want some goth to telling you how to take it?? If you do shop at GNC I recommend you goto Chinnook and talk to Jovan or Market Mall, Don for your info anyone else will clean your pockets out cause if they don't, thier fired. Sorry for the long post. Peace
    Last edited by 00CivicSi; 12-30-2005 at 02:16 AM.

My Ride
    Lamborgotti Fasterossa XT 550

Dang sorry didn't know it was such a long rant

^
    100% agree

Dont ever buy from GNC their stock is all rediculously marked up and their house brand is pure crap.

2 thumbs up for macmahon stadium popeyes

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
    ^
    100% agree

Dont ever buy from GNC their stock is all rediculously marked up and their house brand is pure crap.

2 thumbs up for macmahon stadium popeyes

Agreed

GNC = POOPOO

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

I know you are trying to put on some weight but I believe you are doing it the wroing way. Drinking that much protien powder will not give your body the substance it needs to puton qualiity weight, you may end up gettig pplain fat and hating the shakes after a week or 2 or 3. I would recommend one, at most 2 per day and eating in regular intervals. Eating a medium high protien meal 6 times a day, with one or two of those meals being your shake, will provide far better results. As far as kidney issues I can't speak to those but I can speak to stomach issues, acid reflux will run rampant if your hammering that much protien power into your gut 3 times daily. When I was first told this I was stuck finding enough to eat. Samlpe base ingrdients for meals:

Eggs for breakfast
    Canned tuna for morning snack
    Heavy low fat meat sandwich for lunch
    Cold, precooked chicken breast for mid day snack
    Protien shake for before the gym
    Well balanced meal for dinner

That's six. Eggs and tuna are your friend as those are the toughest meals of the day IMO.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by Impreza
    For you to have too much protein that your kidney's can't digest it, you would have to eat A LOT of protein.
    kidney's don't digest protien.....the problem with those 'mass gain' drinks is most of them the quality of protein is not very good. It just gives your muscle cells 'equipment' to build/heal after workouts. If your not working out, your onna store it as fat.....

Back on topic, if you intake excess protien it will cause a strain on your kidneys as they are very big molecules to keep on filtering out. As mentioned before you don't take it 3x a day your just wasting your money....

Originally posted by 00CivicSi
    I love how they sucker you in with a good selection of products (at high prices) and then tell you you hafta have a multi vitamin, not just any a mega men or ultra mega for woman it hasta be thiers cause it's high potency etc etc. if yer taking 1 a day it's useless.
    Actually their multi-vit is pretty good. Alway rated in the top 5 of vitamins. How is it useless if you take it once a day?? I know the recommended dosage is 2x....its true your body flushes 4-6 hours, but it only flushes what it does not need. Those vitamins contain basic enzymes n-such to help transport the protien your taking in (from the shakes)....

If your trying to gain weight, eat more often not bigger meals.....
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

your kidneys will be fine lol. problem with using powders as your main source of protein intake is that you get this "protein sludge" buildup in your large intestine. so consider supplementing yourself with some digestive enzymes and maybe even a laxitive once a month.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Originally posted by 1-Bar

If your trying to gain weight, eat more often not bigger meals.....
    wrong, i think you meant the opposite.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by Wildcat

wrong, i think you meant the opposite.
    kinda, you should always have resources in your body so it can build. Eating 3 large meals a day will not be as effective as eating 5-6 times a day with the same composition. True you'll lose a bit of weight since your metabolism is always active, but along with resistance training you'll see the benifits. Especailly eating 2-3hours prior/directly after/2-3 after workouts
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by 1-Bar

Especailly eating 2-3hours prior/directly after/2-3 after workouts
    I thought it was best to eat within an hour after working out for best results. That's what I started doing and I've seen some massive increases since Sept.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

eating right after you workout is best as your providing building materials right away....you should eat 2-3 hours prior to working out so you don't have your circulation around your digestive system and not to more important areas like your muscles.....

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Impreza
    To clarify, kidneys don't do any digesting.

Protein is broken down in the digestive system into amino acids, which are then tooled around with by enzymes in the liver. The liver makes urea, which is filtered out of the bloodstream by the kidneys.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

a rough estimation on how much protien one should take is between 0.8g/kg - 1.2g/kg for a normal person and upto 2.0g/kg for a training individual. Any unused protien/aminoacids are broken down and either excreeted by the body or stored as glycogen....

there is no long term effect except your gain in muscle/mass, because all protein really does is repair muscle tissues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast