Quantcast
Dying miners left last words - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dying miners left last words

Default Dying miners left last words

Heres the link to the articale, it is about the mines that were trapped in West Virginia on Monday.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/World/20...81243-sun.html

I find this really sad, no proper good bye to any family member would be devastating. What I also dont like about this whole situation is that the families were misinformed about the situation stating that 12 miners were alive, when really it was 12 dead and 1 alive. They also with held the information from the familers after knowing that 12 miners were dead for 2 hours. which i think is bulshit, in a situation like that i see why they held back but come on those people thought they were going to talk to their famile members again, just to have their spirits crushed.......

My Ride
    09 Scooby

RIP...Tragic to say the least!

RIP

so sad..

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The problem was, the communications was pretty bad within the mine shaft and to the outside during the rescue operation. They told them from inside they found 12 miners, and someone nearby overheard them and started telling EVERYONE they found them alive. So the 12 alive was a rumor spread by people at the scene. Once the confirmation came out, they went and said 12 miners had died.

The mining company never made a statement saying 12 people were alive. People were jumping to conclusions from rumors.

Still sucks though.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

RIP definately a tragedy

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    Honda

Yeah I saw this when it was breaking news, and then ended up following the whole thing.
    So sad

RIP

Originally posted by rage2
    The problem was, the communications was pretty bad within the mine shaft and to the outside during the rescue operation. They told them from inside they found 12 miners, and someone nearby overheard them and started telling EVERYONE they found them alive. So the 12 alive was a rumor spread by people at the scene. Once the confirmation came out, they went and said 12 miners had died.

The mining company never made a statement saying 12 people were alive. People were jumping to conclusions from rumors.

Still sucks though.
    Did you watch Primetime last night? They had a big expose on the entire thing.

It was actually due to the fact that the room with the above ground rescue crew had a loud speaker in their office connected to the radios of the crew in the mine. Unfortunately there were a bunch of non-rescue people crowding the office and when the message saying that they had found everyone and that they were "OK", there were a number of people that started calling everyone with the "good news". Unfortunately the crew said they were "OK" because they didnt appear to be fatally wounded or blown to bits. It wasnt until shortly thereafter that they realized that only one was still breathing (and barely).

Really sad stuff. However it was the fault of people desperate for good news that the confusion occurred. Had they let the rescue crew do their job and kept their distance none of the confusion would have happened. There was no one from the mine or from the rescue operation that told anyone that the miners were alive.

Primetime also interviewed the owner of the mine. However the interview was terribly conducted and the reporter never let him answer his answers completely and basically villianized him on television.

My Ride
    Civic SI / Ducati Monster

Quite unfortunate, especialy for the family's suffering through this....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by sputnik
    Did you watch Primetime last night? They had a big expose on the entire thing.
    Nope, just heard bits and pieces from stories on the radio as to where the news of 12 survivors came from.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

You can listen to the overheard radio messages from the rescue team in the mine.

Part 1 - http://abcnews.go.com/podcast/060105alive.wav
    Part 2 - http://abcnews.go.com/podcast/060105ems.wav

Here is the interview with the owner. Watch the video.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Mine/story?id=1476409

It seems like other people were pretty pissed about the interview with the mine owner.

Quoted from - http://forums.go.com/abcnews/GMA/thread?threadID=280992
    To Whom it May Concern:

I was angered and deeply disappointed this evening as I watched the Primetime special “A Tragedy in the Mountain.” To be certain, the event ABC reported on this evening WAS a tragedy in the mountain and in no way do I intend to demean that fact in writing this letter. My heartfelt condolences are directed towards the families, friends, and community members of the “band of brothers” who died in the Sago mine earlier in the week, and all involved in the Sago tragedy are certainly in my prayers.

I appreciated the short segments on a few of the miners, sharing details of their lives and other pertinent information that gave this tragedy a human face. It’s my honest opinion that Chris Cuomo should be congratulated on a job well done in all aspects except for his brief intro into Brian Ross’ piece. It needs to be said however, that ABC overstepped the boundaries of professionalism and ethical journalism in “reporting” the particular segment of the broadcast pertaining to the primary owner of International Coal Group, Wilbur Ross. In that particular portion of his “reporting” Chris used leading and inflammatory rhetorical questions to set the emotional tone for the hatchet job that Mr. Ross conducted in his segment a few moments later.

No objective, critically-thinking person could honestly call what Brian Ross did “reporting.” On no less than four occasions in a segment that couldn’t possibly have lasted more than three minutes, Brian Ross posed leading, inflammatory questions to Wilbur Ross, then interrupted him repeatedly without giving him a chance to answer. It became clear before more than 20-30 seconds of the “interview” had passed that Brian had no intention of actually allowing Wilbur to pose real answers to the questions that Brian was spewing out a mile a minute, and with what certainly appeared to be acrimony. Had Wilbur Ross actually been allowed to respond to some of the questions so ungraciously posed him, he might have been able to provide information that all Americans, particularly those directly involved in the Sago disaster, would have appreciated.