Quantcast
Fighting a speeding ticket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fighting a speeding ticket

Default Fighting a speeding ticket

Hey everyone,
    has anyone here ever tried to fight a speeding ticket. I got one the other day on Elbow. There were two cops behind a sign and I was in a rush and just accelerated to pass a slower vehicle and the cop jumps out in front and pulls me off the road. They got me at 71kmh in a 50 zone. I don't really care about the $100 ticket that much (it still sucks), I'm more concerned about the demerits and an increase in my insurance. I was thinking about going through Points or something like that but I wanted to know how much it costs and if it really works. Any experiences, do or don'ts for me, besides don't speed! Any other ways? I've heard if you just show up at court on the day and time of your hearing you can get acquited if the officer doesn't show up. I don't know for sure though.
    Thanks.

Peace,

J

My Ride
    2004 SRT-4

TICKETS!!!! or somethiing like it, go there and they fight it, I am actually goin throught them for some of my own, herd they DO AWSOME WORK there!!
    Mike~~SRT-4

My Ride
    GTI

I think he means 'points'

My Ride
    2004 SRT-4

hey thats it, my bad. (LOL)
    Mike~~SRT-4

My Ride
    Civic

I encourage you to do a search on the forum, this topic has been discussed many times and you'll be able to find info there.

My Ride
    89 CRX ZC

me and 2 other friends got pulled over for doing 150 in a 80 zone..the cop wrote us each a 6 demerit $230 ticket for doing 50 over..me and 1 friend hired a lawyer for $200 each..the lawyer got the tickets down to 3 demerits and $115..the third friend went to court and the cop didn't show up..his ticket got thrown out..

i went to court for my next 2 tickets..the cop showed up..1 ticket was thrown out..the other was reduced from $140 to $70 and no demerits..

went and spoke to the crown prosecutor for my next 3 tickets..all of them were reduced in $ and no demerits..

my suggestion is to make a court date and hope the cop doesn't show up..if he does you can usually make a deal with the prosecutor, cop, and judge........or see the crown prosecutor on the date on the ticket..and try and make a deal with him..

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Oftentimes you can score yourself a pretty good deal if you go talk to the prosecutor sometime before the court day (maybe even before you set one). It saves you some $$ and demerits, and it saves some court time. Give that a try.

Basically, you want to aim for your ticket to be reduced to an RO (registered owner). That means you pay the fine and get no demerits (sort of like photo radar). If you've been driving for a long time with a clean record, odds will be in your favor.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Ha ha, Justin got a ticket. Unless the demerits you get are going to really affect you, Points isn't worth it. It is quite expensive. You can always try asking the cop when you set up the court date if he can do it with no demerits, or just hope that theyu don't show up. Good Luck!!

So when is the new car coming?>?

uh you were doing 21km/hr over the limit. You got caught.

You broke the law...

you shouldn't be speeding in this shitty weather anyways

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I've fought several tickets in the past the best way to win is to keep changing the court date. The cop will get several notices and they then almost always don't show. Go to the courthouse on you court date tell the crown prosecutor that you want to plead not guility. Then tell them you want full disclosure of the case. Disclosure is a document that the cop has to file about the ticket he or she gave to you. It will tell you the time of day, what type of radar or laser, location and more. Change the date once or twice by calling in seven days before your court date you can move the date back. Tell them you have a final exam or you have to be out of town on unexpected business.

In most case after you move the case the cop won't get the updated court time and you get off free. However, if he does show tell the prosecutor that after reviewing the disclosure you realized that you are in the wrong and will be willing to plea to a lessar charge. If you have different rims than what the manufactor provided you can use that because your speedo will be off. If you follow this system you should get the ticket dismissed, or worst case the Crown calls your BS and you have to pay full price. Also, another tip is have cash there for the ticket so if the Judge asks if your willing to plead guility to a lesser charge you can pay then and there. They like that so they don't have to chase you later to collect the fine.

Sorry for the long story but it should help... Good Luck, and I'll be at court on March 9th for me latest ticket...

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Originally posted by RC-Cola
    I've fought several tickets in the past the best way to win is to keep changing the court date. The cop will get several notices and they then almost always don't show. Go to the courthouse on you court date tell the crown prosecutor that you want to plead not guility. Then tell them you want full disclosure of the case. Disclosure is a document that the cop has to file about the ticket he or she gave to you. It will tell you the time of day, what type of radar or laser, location and more. Change the date once or twice by calling in seven days before your court date you can move the date back. Tell them you have a final exam or you have to be out of town on unexpected business.

In most case after you move the case the cop won't get the updated court time and you get off free. However, if he does show tell the prosecutor that after reviewing the disclosure you realized that you are in the wrong and will be willing to plea to a lessar charge. If you have different rims than what the manufactor provided you can use that because your speedo will be off. If you follow this system you should get the ticket dismissed, or worst case the Crown calls your BS and you have to pay full price. Also, another tip is have cash there for the ticket so if the Judge asks if your willing to plead guility to a lesser charge you can pay then and there. They like that so they don't have to chase you later to collect the fine.

Sorry for the long story but it should help... Good Luck, and I'll be at court on March 9th for me latest ticket...
    You have to go to court on a sunday? I have to appear for one on Monday the 10th.
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    Looking for a car, Got any suggestions?

everyday a Beyond memeber is goin to court lol

change your court date to a holiday, like christmas or thanksgiving! (Or if the courts aren't open..as close to the holidays as you can!) If I was a cop, I wouldn't show!

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by ___2PaC___
    everyday a Beyond memeber is goin to court lol
    that's pretty funny, too bad those posts just got deleted.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

haha i have to go to court 2morrow for my ticket... my i have an exam and lost the ticket... what should i do?! haha

My Ride

Originally posted by RiceCake

You have to go to court on a sunday? I have to appear for one on Monday the 10th.
    Sorry, I have to check my ticket again.. No I won't be in court on Sunday. I stuffed it in my glove box after I got it...

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Originally posted by szw
    change your court date to a holiday, like christmas or thanksgiving! (Or if the courts aren't open..as close to the holidays as you can!) If I was a cop, I wouldn't show!
    Nice try. I don't think you can change the date to whenever it's convienent for YOU!!! The court appoints a new date that's convienent for THEM!!!

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Originally posted by RC-Cola

I wouldn't count on the cops not showing up anymore... They have new "incentives" to show up at court. ie) Don't have to do "real" work, stay out of the sun, rain, snow, and they get compensated nicely for their "efforts"...

My Ride

Originally posted by sml

I wouldn't count on the cops not showing up anymore... They have new "incentives" to show up at court. ie) Don't have to do "real" work, stay out of the sun, rain, snow, and they get compensated nicely for their "efforts"...
    It's worked for me in the past. It has been a little while since I've had a ticket, but it worked before regularly.

On the ticket it states that you can change the court date if you call them I beleive seven (working) days in advance.

Yah you can change the court dates. Just tell them you live in edmonton and won't be back until christmas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast