Quantcast
Purchasing a WRX - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a WRX

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Default Purchasing a WRX

Hello,

I am looking at getting a new car and one of the cars that interests me is the impreza line of cars. So far i have test driven a 2002 WRX, a 2004 WRX and an 2006 RS. I like turbos and hate the nose on the 06 model so the RS is out. I am not that familiar with the WRX and the 02 and the 04 I drove were different. I remember reading that the transmission was changed on the 04 but were there any other significant changes to them.

The 02 was a nice ride it didn't seem that special. I was concerned that the engine light was on the entire time and I didn't really feel the turbo kick in (not like I can on my DSM). I later read that the WRX (and STI) does have the problem with the engine light coming on and staying on for no reason...

Now the 04 was a little different. The engine was smooth and quiet at idle but once it got going I could hear what I can only descibe as lifter tick (a DSM quirck). THe 02 didn't have this sound. I could also notice the turbo and BOV on the 04 and I didn't on the 02 at all. The 04 sounded more like VW or a quieted dodge ram turbo diesel.

Based on this was the 02 a healthy vehicle to use as a comparison vs the 04? There were no signs of mods done to the 04 but does this sound normal for it? Although there is warrenty left on it so if the engine has issues it isn't a huge deal but I don't want to purchase a car that I have to take right back to the shop to get looked at. (I can keep my DSM for that)

Thanks
    Jeremy

My Ride
    FJC, S30

hop onto nasioc.com and search. i beleive there is something up with the 02 trannies, compared to the rest.

i dont have a rex so i dont know. gl
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    impreza

maybe the gas cap wasn't tight on the 02

one of the little quirks you learn about after owning a wrx.

what was the mileage / price on both the wrx's?

The BPV on the 04 isn't that noticable, it is slightly, did the car have the intake "snorkel" taken out? That can make a noticable difference in noise.

I'm in the market for a Subie as well, so this thread should be interesting. nasioc.com is an amazing resource.

My Ride
    impreza

I just bought my 04 wrx in August 05. It was the best decision I ever made. The only reason why I was hesitant was because of what I had heard about dealing with Calgary dealerships, but I haven't had a bad experience yet, and the car is addictive to drive, and so much fun, you won't regret owning a wrx.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

My '03 WRX wagon is for sale.

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

I didn't look for the snorkel but it might have been removed, I will check when I go back. I will likely take a second look. I remember reading about the 02 trannies as well. The replaced parts with the 04 sti's and that corrected it.

the 02 was 23K with 82K on it.
    the 04 is 26K with 62K on it.
    I saw another 03 for 26K with 82K on it. Which doesn't make sense...the salesman was a little confused on that too. Though at first he quoted me 19K but he was looking at the wrong line.

both are high but all the subbies I see are closer to 30K a year than 20. Hell I put 10-15K on my cars so it seems like a huge amount.
    Last edited by JeremyD; 01-08-2006 at 01:32 AM.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

My Ride
    impreza

This is the intake silencer that can be removed from the car to add with the sound "effects".

Havent done this mod yet but it is on my list for sure.

Defo check what mods have been done to a WRX before buying it. Modding a WRX the "wrong" way can give you a lot of problems. Like sticking a BOV on is generally regarded as a no-no, as is using an aftermarket turbo back exhaust without some ECU mods... NASIOC is your friend.

BTW, owning a WRX is THE best decision I ever made
    Last edited by pitwipe; 01-08-2006 at 02:11 AM.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Does the 04 still have warranty left? If so, see if you can confirm with the deal that all the issues can be fixed prior to striking a deal, then you won't have to worry about all that.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

I will look for that when I go back. Thanks for the pictures!

The 04 has some drivetrain warrenty left but that is it.

I have been going thorugh NASIOC faqs that Unabomber wrote. Those are incredible. Tons of info. I am still trying to digest it all.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Fuji is offline Track Events Co-ordinator
    My Ride
    cars

just remember not everything you read on the internet is true. Some of it might be but some of it may not.

My Ride
    TOPLESS 64 IMPALA /2004 SALEEN S281 SC / 2007 Z06

i love the wrx

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

They are good cars, just make sure you buy one bone stock or all betts are off.

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

and check if the clutch has been replaced....if not you will most likely be doing it.

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Originally posted by Fuji
    just remember not everything you read on the internet is true. Some of it might be but some of it may not.
    Veru true. if it were I would surrounded by hot teens and suffering from erectile dysfunction.

and check if the clutch has been replaced....if not you will most likely be doing it.
    the clutch felt solid when I drove but I will look at that. Is that not covered under drivetrain warrenty? I have never actually owned a new car before so the whole concept of a warrenty and what is and isn't covered is new to me.

They are good cars, just make sure you buy one bone stock or all betts are off.
    from what I have read they seem more sensitive to modding than the DSMs were. Not as forgiving...

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by JeremyD
    from what I have read they seem more sensitive to modding than the DSMs were. Not as forgiving...
    That's not too big a deal as there are few cars that ever took as well to modding as DSM's which are IMO the greatest import performance/value car to grace the earth.

I just bought a 2005 wrx and I don't think the clutch is covered under any warranty... since warranty is covering only manufacturing defects and does not cover wear and tear which the clutch would certainly fall under. Is it true that the 2.0l engine actually puts out 250 hp? the dealer told me that and he had said that over here they put someting on called a muffler or exhaust cap for emissions obviously and that it brings the hp down to 227 hp. Removing it I hear also voids your warranty.. oh well guess I'll have to wait till mine is up

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

don't believe anything a salesman tells you.

My Ride
    impreza

Since the WRX is a LEV (low emissions vehicle), it has 3 catalytic converters, compared to 2 in the STI. The WRX is a environmentaly friendly car, you can take off the cats for more power, but sacrifice emissions.

I am not sure of the exact horsepower rating of going catless, I am sure it would be around the 250hp mark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast