Quantcast
Aston Martin Vantage -06 Valve question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin Vantage -06 Valve question

Default Aston Martin Vantage -06 Valve question

Hi guys,
    I have ordered the new Vantage and I'l be getting mine in late March. I read this in article just a minute ago:

"And then there’s the noise. Oh my God. What a soundtrack. From inside, all is quiet and serene. At normal speed, when the European Union testing people are listening, all is quiet and serene.
    But put your foot down and a little VALVE in the exhaust system changes everything. Under full-bore acceleration, this car doesn’t rumble or howl. It sounds like all the most exciting bits of the Bible. It sounds like Revelation. And it’s just so loud. When my wife went for a spin on a balmy summer’s evening, I heard her change from fourth to fifth
    a full two miles away. A Porsche may well have the power and agility to get past, but stuck in the sonic boom from those exhausts, I suspect the German car would probably disintegrate before it ever got the chance. The way it sounds is a good enough reason to buy the Vantage"

This is what Clarksson from TOP GEAR said, so a pretty good veridct sound wise that is.

So every page on the internet keeps talking about these "VALVES" opening and giving a kick as sound, and as soon as they are closed, the car goes quiet, (under 4000 rpm according to most pages I've found).

So the question is:
    Is there any way I can have these VALVES open at all time? I want that crazy ass sound always! Not only over 4000 rpm, so is this possible without hurting the cars performance?

Thank you in advance

EMILE

Its brand new man, I wouldn't be fucking with any valves on an 06 Vantage until it is atelast 25 years old. Most likely it is just valvetrain of some sort that when you go full throttle it opens a second set of valves up for make performance.

Let us know if you find anything more!

Hi again,
    Also found this:

It sounds very different, but that's no bad thing. At cruising speeds, it's quiet enough to be civilized, but open the throttle at 4,000 rpm and the variable valve timing, coupled with the opening of an exhaust valve, turns up the volume by several hundred percent. On the open road, you will hear a V8 Vantage coming long before you see it.

The engine barks into life, a bypass valve in the exhaust system opening to let the sound thrill out. That valve opens again when the Aston is accelerating past 4,000rpm.

Maybe it helps anyone figuering this one out....

EMILE

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Oh sure you can do it. Just disconnect the vacuum to the bypass valves. Works *cough* well on Ferraris

EDIT it's easier to just disconnect the electrical connector at the vacuum switch, at least on 360s, because there's stuff in the way of one of them. The valves on your Aston should work just the same
    Last edited by iceburns288; 01-08-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by iceburns288
    Oh sure you can do it. Just disconnect the vacuum to the bypass valves. Works *cough* well on Ferraris
    and C6 Corvettes

Is this a hard procedure? Do i need a special garage och can any custom car builder do it? Is it hard to change back to original?

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

No it's not difficult at all. All you need is an Allen wrench

EDIT no it takes just a few minutes to do it either way, so putting it back should be just as easy!
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Here are some instructions I found on Ferrarichat:

1. Open the engine lid. On the spider, remove the two access panels on the sides at the rear. You'll need a metric #4 allen wrench (or a 5/32" allen wrench).

2. On the coupe, look directly to the left and right of the muffler. On the spider, look under each panel you removed. There is an electrical connector attached to a gray or white plastic block; the block is a vacuum switch. If you look closely, there is a black hose that goes from the vacuum switch to a vacuum can which operates the exhaust flap.

3. Disconnect the electrical connector by pressing on the underside of it while pulling it out. You might want to twist-tie it to something to keep it from flopping around. Btw, you can disconnect and reconnect this with the motor running to hear the sound difference.

The one on the right side (passenger side) is easier to reach because the left side has an electric air pump mounted in there. (At least on my spider there is.) I didn't disconnect the vacuum line itself because the left side was too difficult to get to. All you need to do is disconnect the electrical connector at the vacuum switch.
    Obviously, it applies to 360s, but the technology is the same I'm sure.

Here's a pic of one in a Challenge Stradale:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

Thanks guys!
    Looks pretty easy, but I'l let some garage do it for me as I'm sure I need help finding it on the Aston Martin Vantage.

Ok, so the I get the sound, but how does it work with the car?
    I mean, will there be any bad side effects or is it totally unsafe?

How come people get new exhausts instead of doing this, when they only want more sound, not looking for the extra performance? I mean this must be so much cheaper and easy...

Is it to recommend doing on a brand new AM Vantage 06, or is there a chance I fuck teh whole car up.....?

Thanks

EMILE

My Ride
    '07 Mustang/'05 R6 Raven

the police and people around you will get pissed off at the noise, this is why most people avoid doing it. it is a minority of people that like a loud, obnoxious exhaust...i am part of this minority.
    Epicoque Racing