Quantcast
Audi S6 to have V10 *updated* - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Audi S6 to have V10 *updated*

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Audi S6 to have V10

World Debut

Expect Audi’s S middleweight to have its official world launch at Detroit, though don’t be surprised if the car turns up at the Los Angeles auto show one week earlier. Audi and sister brand Volkswagen have both been known to make such moves in the past.

Whether or not the S6 will show as sedan, Avant or both remains to be seen. Audi has spread the unveiling of its S and RS cars previously. The RS 4 sedan has been around since March, while an RS 4 Avant could debut up to a year later. Digitally created photos of both S6 sedan and Avant have been created for this article, though there’s not yet been a clear indication on what to expect.

The S6, in its most recent form, was sold as both sedan and Avant in Europe, though it was Avant-only in the United States. While a US launch for the S6 means it’s more than likely coming stateside, specific information on which bodystyles are to be expected are believed to be forthcoming in Audi’s Los Angeles or Detroit presentation.

Packaging

From the outside, it can be assumed that the S6 will follow a similar formula set by the S4 and S8. The attached photos depict a standard S-line body kit already shown for the A6, though modified to accept S design cues such as larger crosshatch grille and quad exhaust tips. This also follows in line with early prototypes seen testing at Germany’s Nurburgring.

Audi has a new S-car wheel that is strongly reminiscent of the wheels on the Le Mans concept with some subtle changes that make the design more attuned for road car use. Namely, they use standard lug attachment with covers that hide the fasteners from view. This handsome new split-spoke design has been confirmed in photos of the S4 Cabriolet and the S8, and it is expected on the rest of the S-range by the end of next year… including the S6.

The final exterior detail to be expected is an engine badge just below the Euro side repeater. On the S4, the badge reads “V8”, though we expect the one on the S6 to read “V10” as it does on the S8.

Hardware and Equipment

All indications point to a version of the corporate V10 shoehorned under the hood of the new S6. If so, this is the same engine that will power the S8, though it will not be as highly tuned. Expect a figure of about 420 bhp for the S6, compared to the S8’s 450 bhp. A six-speed Tiptronic transmission will probably be standard issue for now.

Also shared kit with the S8 is the adaptive air suspension and shorter ratio steering rack. Each element should add to the sporting feel of the S6, giving it an edgier ride than run-of-the-mill A6 sedan and Avant models.

What to Watch For

As detailed above, the S6 will most likely see its debut at either or both the Detroit or Los Angeles Auto Shows. Audi could release photos and details prior to those events, both of which happen in early January. Expect live coverage from both Los Angeles and Detroit in these pages, as well as any preview Audi might release before that time.

Source: Fourtitude

Pics. These aren't real they are photochopped.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Man, something about Audi's I will always (as long as they stay true to Audi) love. I would take the S6 Avant over a BMW or Benz equivalent.

I guess the 420 hp number one the 6 means Audi is resigning themselves from any horsepower battles with BMW/Benz. At least their designs are sweet

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

i love everything about the new audis, but i cant grow a liking for that grille...if you ask me its like having a supermodel missing her 2 front teeth

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default Audi S6

This time they have a naturally aspirated 5.2L V10, delivering 420 HP and 398 lb-ft of torque from 3000 RPM to 4000 RPM.

As much as 368 lb-ft torque is available from 2500 to 5500 RPM, and the engine is using the new FSI technology.

It also weighs 4200 lbs.

More info here: http://www.audiworld.com/news/06/naias/

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    Kenworth diesel CRX

Originally posted by habsfan
    i love everything about the new audis, but i cant grow a liking for that grille...if you ask me its like having a supermodel missing her 2 front teeth
    I loved the grill on the last generation Audis, But despise the new one.

They still make the best looking wagons.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I like Audi's alot. They make the best interiors in the industry. I don't hate the front end and find it distinguishing compared to all the blandness in this day & age of cars.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Audi really has some great designs and I love them all. Glad to see they're not suffering from the "identity crisis" that VW seems to be suffering as of late.

Is this a detuned version of the gallardo's V10?

My Ride
    350Z

Originally posted by mo_virgin
    Is this a detuned version of the gallardo's V10?

Yes

2003 Nissan 350Z Redline 6spd Nismo Springs and Shocks, 19" Volk GT-Cs, Nismo Brake Pads and EBC rotors.
    2005 Nissan Altima SER Black/Black 6spd Eibach Sportline Springs (SOLD)
    2003 Nissan Sentra Spec V (SOLD)
    Barrie Nissan Sales Rep

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Engine Newly developed V10 with FSI technology and ample torque characteristic

Ten-cylinder gasoline engines have long been regarded as a particularly sporty type of power unit. In the form of a V-engine they are short, compact and correspondingly light. The number of moving parts required for ten cylinders is moreover relatively low, bringing the added bonus of low friction losses. It is no coincidence that the Gallardo super sports car built by Lamborghini – an Audi subsidiary – is driven by a widely acclaimed V10 engine.
    The V10 in the new Audi S6 is a completely new engine which first appeared in the Audi S8 and has now been specifically retuned for use in the top model of Audi's luxury class.

Its ten cylinders are divided into two cylinder banks arranged at an angle of 90 degrees to each other, and each with two overhead camshafts (DOHC principle); the spacing between cylinder centers is 90 millimeters – one of the reasons why this 220-kilogram (approx. 485 lbs.), four-valve per cylinder engine is so compact. A special intermediate frame reinforces the cast aluminum crankcase.

The bore is 84.5 millimeters and the stroke 92.8 millimeters, producing a swept volume of 5,204 cc. With its crankpin offset of 18 degrees, the V10 fires at an ideal spacing of 72 degrees crankshaft angle. A balancing shaft located between the cylinder banks eliminates the free inertial forces of the first degree and contributes equally towards the engine's notable refinement.

All four camshafts are adjusted continuously through 40 degrees crankshaft angle depending on load and engine speed, thus optimizing filling of the combustion chambers and consequently enhancing the power output. The camshafts are driven by no-maintenance chains and actuate the total of 40 valves via roller cam followers. The task of engine management is handled by two separate control units.

The V10 in the new Audi S6 uses FSI gasoline direct injection. This permits a high compression ratio of up to 12.5:1 and therefore a highly efficient combustion process. The injection system delivers the fuel directly into the combustion chambers in precisely metered amounts, at a pressure of up to 100 bar.

The two-stage magnesium variable intake manifold incorporates electronically controlled tumble flaps; these induce a swirling movement in the air drawn in.

Innovative FSI technology has impressively demonstrated its potential in motor sport – the R8 racing car equipped with it participated five times in the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Audi, winning the race on four of those occasions.

The powerful ten-cylinder engine is designed not simply with power in mind, but to an even greater extent for impressive torque. It achieves 420 bhp at 6,800 rpm, but delivers the peak torque of 540 Nm (approx. 397 ft.-lbs.) at engine speeds ranging from 3,000 to 4,000 rpm. Over 500 Nm of torque (approx. 368 ft.-lbs.) is on tap between 2,500 and 5,500 rpm. The engine exhibits spontaneous throttle response and very refined running, and under load it also produces sonorous acoustics, as befits this dynamic car.

The engine gives the Audi S6 the road performance of a high-caliber GT-class car. The Audi S6 is capable of racing from 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds. The speed is not governed electronically until the needle reaches 155 mph.

The S6 weighs 1,910 kilograms (approx. 4,210 lbs.), including the dynamic, sure-footed quattro permanent four-wheel drive. Every horsepower consequently has to propel just 4.55 kilograms (approx. 10 lbs.) – the power-to-weight ratio of a top-notch sports car.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont